Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my combo figured out....I think LOL
Pushrods-Fuel Moto (Smith Bros)
Lifters-Woods
Cam-Andrews 57h-Tman 555tq or Black Widow BW55
I'm no cam expert BTW.
I attached an image that shows the specs of the various cams.
Can anyone tell me which of these cams will be more low end, more upper range, more even accrossed the board, better mileage etc.
I don't really understand overlap in conjuction with the other specs, lift and duration etc.
My combo before cams is: Fullsac x Pipe, Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, Fuel Moto Air Cleaner and a Power Vision with Autotune (bought through Fuel Moto).
All parts are just off of my 2012 E-glide I traded on the R-Glide.
So as of right now nothing is installed, I want to do it all at once.
I want to order ASAP because right now the beast is all stock and that SUCKS.
I typically ride 2 up for long distances, but when local ride one up.
I tend to drop to 5th if anywhere under 70 (stock) and do tend to crank the throttle pretty hard if I do drop a gear or two :D
I don't have any plans right now to do anymore work, but down the road I may, which would include head clean up and possibly .30 HG nothing crazy.
I don't want to build something that when heading out on a trip I have to worry about anything other than riding.

Thank you,
KO

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Those selections may give you some "hot start" issues - compression release. I looked at them and went with a milder Andrews. Check there web site for specs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Those selections may give you some "hot start" issues - compression release. I looked at them and went with a milder Andrews. Check there web site for specs.
2012 has the ACR built in to the heads already. should not be an issue. I wentwith the 57 h recently. Like it alot. The low end is not the great point of this cam, but abive 2600 rpm it pulls real nice. the other 2 i really don't know much about. i am running it with the Dragula, Thndermax and screaming eagle big sucker. i think the stock comression might be a bit low for the 57 and plan to have the heads done as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
2012 has the ACR built in to the heads already. should not be an issue. I wentwith the 57 h recently. Like it alot. The low end is not the great point of this cam, but abive 2600 rpm it pulls real nice. the other 2 i really don't know much about. i am running it with the Dragula, Thndermax and screaming eagle big sucker. i think the stock comression might be a bit low for the 57 and plan to have the heads done as well. Good luck.
I too am running the 57H and like it quite well. Honestly it feels same or better than stock cam off the line.

I think bumping the compression a bit using an .030" head gasket would yield good results. I didn't change head gasket, a compression check on my motor showed 200/205, that's quite a bit higher than stock, and it shows.

Some people may not like the intake noise the 57H makes but I think the 48 does it too... some say the 54 doesn't, but I think that cam needs more compression to work it's best.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I too am running the 57H and like it quite well. Honestly it feels same or better than stock cam off the line.

I think bumping the compression a bit using an .030" head gasket would yield good results. I didn't change head gasket, a compression check on my motor showed 200/205, that's quite a bit higher than stock, and it shows.

Some people may not like the intake noise the 57H makes but I think the 48 does it too... some say the 54 doesn't, but I think that cam needs more compression to work it's best.
My only issue with it is i have a little flat spot at about 2400-2600, i think i need to open up th t-max and look at it. But agrred i do think a .030 hg would make a big difference.

The cam is noisier, but i have the screaming eagle big sucker and i think it contributes to it as well. Everyone says that intake is loud. SO overall i am real pleased when i rip the throttle. Not sure if it is a great 2 up cam though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Whatever cam you chose, along with the right exhaust and tune will be a noticeable difference to the good over stock. My .02, whatever you choose get a TTS tune by someone fluent in the program.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've made my decision.
Will post back with results when all buttoned up and dyno'd

Thanks,
KO

·
Registered
587 Posts
bump....and the winner is???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None of the above mentioned LOL
I put a torqueinc cam in it.
It doesn't have a tune yet, just a generic PV tune but so far I'm liking it.
All the time before 6th gear was almost useless.
Not anymore.
It's not something you throw in and go WOW....it's very mild mannered but strong acrossed the board.
It's like the bike has a bigger engine but it's not "peaky".
I'm going to start autotuning as soon as I get a free day.

The install went very well.
I used the torqueinc cam that has been mentioned here on the board.
Gatermans lifters which look much better than the stock lifters and Fuelmoto (Smith Bros) pushrods.
The reason I went with this cam is the lower lift, yet impressive torque numbers on dyno sheets.
I know dyno's can be all over the place but what i did see looked good.
I also liked John when I talked to him, very no B.S, kind of guy, which i like.
I will post my dyno results when I get some.

My bike specs are in my sig

KO

·
Registered
646 Posts
cam spec question

get a Harley performance catalog-this will show the diff ranges of cams-I used and 54h-mid range cam,the 48 would be better for 2-up,and yes the 54 in noisy.i run 5th gear a lot at the mid range speed-feels like I am lugging the bike-had a and 37 on my 95 -quiet and pulled like a rocket

T

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the honest review....hope you can get some miles on it and get her dialed in before the long trip to Sturgis.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should also mention, this cam I seems quieter than my stock cam.
Of course my stock stuff was just that, and the adjustable pushrods I'm sure helps.
My starter can't tell this from stock either.
When I say it's like I put a bigger engine on it, that's exactly how it feels.
Just all over more umph.
Really interested to see how autotune does with this set up.

KO

P

·
0 Posts
I should also mention, this cam I seems quieter than my stock cam.
Of course my stock stuff was just that, and the adjustable pushrods I'm sure helps.
My starter can't tell this from stock either.
When I say it's like I put a bigger engine on it, that's exactly how it feels.
Just all over more umph.
Really interested to see how autotune does with this set up.

KO
wow,sounds like the best thing since sliced white bread

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE-
So I've put 6000 miles on the cam and love it more all the time.
The bike still needs a good tune done on it.
I can't imagine how it will feel after a good tune.
Untuned running 75/85 mph to Sturgis and back we almost always got 35/37 mpg.
We were running 2 up with approx 150lbs of stuff on the bike.
We also had the big T-Bag tour pak bag on top.
No pinging even with the crap gas you get out there.
The only ping we got was one tank of 91, but had run 89 with no ping.
I think it was just a bad tank of fuel.
Torque comes on really strong down low and seems to hang on a good long time.
I LOVE actually having a useful 6th gear.
My buddies have all ridden it and are all quite impressed.
My plan is to make it to Roeders to get a good tune done on it this winter.

KO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts