Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 that is currently stripped down awaiting a new bottom end. I figured while it's apart, I'd like to put some better cams in. Right now, I have true duals, a SE air cleaner, and power commander. The dealer recommended SE203 cams. What about aftermarket? Better options? I'm not afraid to admit that I'm VERY new to this, so any information is good information. I have limited funds, so I don't want to get too far in the woods with different pushrods, springs, and stuff like that. Just cams for now. I'm looking for midrange torque. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have an 03 heritage that I converted to a trike for health reasons. It just would not do a thing at highways speeds. I had the dealer put a HD 205 in and it made all the difference in the world to the mid range torque. They couldn't dyno the trike so just a flash of the existing unit seemed to suffice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had an '01 Road King and I went with the Screaming Eagle kit w/ the 96" big bore and 203 cam and a Power Commander. I do my own work now, but at the time I had the dealer install it. So, bottom line is no tuner, only about $1200 in parts, ~$350 in labor and the bike woke up real nice! I'm not saying there are not better options, but that worked great for me without breaking the bank. I have since learned how to break the bank as you can see by my signature. Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I split about 50/50 between riding solo and two up. I'm not too concerned about the power when I'm solo. Just when we're loaded down and want to get around the big rigs on the interstate. It's getting the new cam tensioner kit. I don't know if, or when I'll do the 95" kit. Thanks for the help everybody!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much is the 95" kit?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got an 05 that is currently stripped down awaiting a new bottom end. I figured while it's apart, I'd like to put some better cams in. Right now, I have true duals, a SE air cleaner, and power commander. The dealer recommended SE203 cams. What about aftermarket? Better options? I'm not afraid to admit that I'm VERY new to this, so any information is good information. I have limited funds, so I don't want to get too far in the woods with different pushrods, springs, and stuff like that. Just cams for now. I'm looking for midrange torque. Thanks for any suggestions.
Having recently taken my 88 to a 95, I went with the S&S 551 easy start gear drive cams. Between the cams and the bore I love the change, it's a totally different bike. Definitely quicker and more top end as well. And as far as passing big rigs, it's a piece of cake now. Cruising along and I just roll the throttle and I am around the obstacle, no need to even downshift anymore!

It has simple very rich break in tune on it for the first 1000 miles, then I take back to my indy and he will change the oil and the tune and check all the work. Then its off to a dyno and we will see what I really have now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had the extra cash, I'd definitley do the 95" kit. That's down the road for now. Just cams this summer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How far apart is the motor right now? Bottom end is being replaced? If that is the case, the difference in putting 95" pistons in it is minor. You're already doing gaskets (and hopefully rings). An upgrade to 95" harley flat tops is close to the same cost of a set of cams. Leave your stock cams if budget is an issue. The 95" will be a bigger punch and would be a more major upgrade in the future. Quick installing some cams in the future is a couple hour project over a few beers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How far apart is the motor right now? Bottom end is being replaced? If that is the case, the difference in putting 95" pistons in it is minor. You're already doing gaskets (and hopefully rings). An upgrade to 95" harley flat tops is close to the same cost of a set of cams. Leave your stock cams if budget is an issue. The 95" will be a bigger punch and would be a more major upgrade in the future. Quick installing some cams in the future is a couple hour project over a few beers.
That sounds like some pretty good advice. I think I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see what we can work out. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good to see someone is using their head, that's great advice right there....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After reading this again, and sleeping on it today, I forgot to mention that my stock cams have to be replaced. Because of this, I asked them to upgrade them to SE203's. He said he'd do that and charge the difference - wich is around $20.00. If I was to do the 95" kit, I'd have to pay for everything; ie. heads, pistons. That would be quite a bit more than I'm paying out of pocket right now. I think I'll just stick with the 203's for now. I think I'll eventually do the 95 kit, but it's just not in the cards right now.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As already mentioned, a set of Andrews 21's or a set of S&S .509's.
We've witnessed mid 90's torque with those .509's.
BUT, if going back in next year, then a set of Andrews 26's now and then bore to 98" setting the compression at 9.65 cr at the later date.
Long proven combo accross the country, to show 108-110 ft/lbs and hp in the mid-90's.
Just sharing knowledge.:)
Scott

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
And thats WITHOUT headwork?? What kind of numbers would you expect with stage 2 (mid level) heads?

As already mentioned, a set of Andrews 21's or a set of S&S .509's.
We've witnessed mid 90's torque with those .509's.
BUT, if going back in next year, then a set of Andrews 26's now and then bore to 98" setting the compression at 9.65 cr at the later date.
Long proven combo accross the country, to show 108-110 ft/lbs and hp in the mid-90's.
Just sharing knowledge.:)
Scott

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.