Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of doing cams in my 13 custom. Thought I had everything needed since this is first time doing on a harley. What do you use for holding primary and crank sprockets to remove bolts? Do I need to get tool at dealer tomorrow?

· Registered
1,564 Posts
I used the tool from the dealer, BUT mine didn't have it in stock. He had to order. Good luck

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Are you talking the bolts securing the chain sprockets in the cam chest? The tool is nice, but you can do it without. Keep the bike in 6th gear and have somebody hold down the rear brake. I've don't it several times without assistance, but you almost need a third hand.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,referring to the bolts on sprockets. If I can't find the holder today at a dealer will give it a try like you said. I should of measured it last nite and machined a holder today at work.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Yes,referring to the bolts on sprockets. If I can't find the holder today at a dealer will give it a try like you said. I should of measured it last nite and machined a holder today at work.
Never used a gear lock. Always put it in high gear and drop the rear tire on the lift or ground. No problem ever. Piece of cake.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Are you talking the bolts securing the chain sprockets in the cam chest? The tool is nice, but you can do it without. Keep the bike in 6th gear and have somebody hold down the rear brake. I've don't it several times without assistance, but you almost need a third hand.
Never used a gear lock. Always put it in high gear and drop the rear tire on the lift or ground. No problem ever. Piece of cake.
+1^^^^^^^^^

No tool is needed and buying a tool is a big waste of money. Put bike in 6th gear and put rear tire on ground and apply rear brake, you do the same thing when installing and torquing the bolt on the gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.