Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to have big boyz port my heads, and swap out the 255s for andrews 57h or dragos 580 cams un decided.
The question i have is should i buy s&s lifters and quick push rods or can i save some doe and still use my stock push rods because the head covers are off and order comp 850 chevy lifters. Is there any issues with comp cups being smaller or issues with the stock push rods?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Stock pushrods should be just fine as long as the cams are drop in and use the same base circle size. The comp 850 cams are good to go as well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would change the lifters. There's no question. The stock lifters a know to cause problems. It would be cheap insurance. S&S all the way. You can't use the stock pushrods.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I would recommend going with the adjustable push rods. The adjustable PR will make it a lot easier the next time you need to change a lifter or do work in the cam chest and they are well worth the money.
I use 350 chevy lifters in my bike with no problems, I get Melling JB-2079 lifters from Autozone for around $11 each.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would change the lifters. There's no question. The stock lifters a know to cause problems. It would be cheap insurance. S&S all the way. You can't use the stock pushrods.
Why exactly can't he use the stock pushrods? Andrews 57 cams are bolt-in which means that the stock pushrods will work just fine. I'm just not sure about the Dragos 580 cams. There is no reason to run adjustables if a person is willing to go in through the rockers. They run just great and will never loosen like an adjustable can. Adjustable may make a cam change easier but they are certainly not necessary.

To the OP. Use this link for the lifters or you can order them in through your local guy pretty easily.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-850-1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the comp cams 850 lifters. I've read and read these and other forums and I simply do not see failures reported out of those lifters. S&S Premium lifters are great too, but will cost 4x as much. Gatormans, HD-C lifters should definitely be avoided.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Why exactly can't he use the stock pushrods? Andrews 57 cams are bolt-in which means that the stock pushrods will work just fine. I'm just not sure about the Dragos 580 cams. There is no reason to run adjustables if a person is willing to go in through the rockers. They run just great and will never loosen like an adjustable can. Adjustable may make a cam change easier but they are certainly not necessary.

To the OP. Use this link for the lifters or you can order them in through your local guy pretty easily.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-850-1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the comp cams 850 lifters. I've read and read these and other forums and I simply do not see failures reported out of those lifters. S&S Premium lifters are great too, but will cost 4x as much. Gatormans, HD-C lifters should definitely be avoided.

Is the base circle the same on tr 57 as the stock cam? If so I guess you could. Is the lifter preload on the s&S lifter or any other lifters going to be correct? Are you going to have lifter noise after you put all back together? Seams like a lot if extra work to do after your all done just to save a few bucks. If you do the job correctly the pushrods won't loosen. Going the cheap route isn't always better. Using quality parts and quality work pays off the first time and not the second.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I never worked on small block chevy's and don't know anything about Melling lifters, but something about putting and $11 lifter in a built Harley just doesn't pass the smell test. Even if the base circle is "supposed" to be the same, I say get some adjustables and set them right. A few thousandths can be the difference between a quiet build and a sewing machine, especially with a torquester type cam. Too many variables. Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good. Get some lifters and adjustables that thousands have already used successfully. That's just some advice from someone who just completed his third build , which happens to be Dragos Stage 2.5 w/ the 580 cam. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm not going to get in a pissing match. The OP asked if he could use the stock pushrods and use Comp 850's. Absolutely on both counts. The Andrews cams use the same base circle which means that by using his stock pushrods he will have the exact same preload as he has now stock. Many folks including myself prefer nonadjustables. Perfectly fine to do to that way and save a few bucks.

The Comp 850's are good to go and are used by thousands upon thousands of Indy's and individuals.

By going through the rockers and using 850's the OP is going to save himself around $400. Worst case he cuts the pushrods and installs adjustables later. If he's doing the work he will only be out a little time. There is absolutely no performance advantage to using S&S Premiums and adjustable pushrods. None.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm not going to get in a pissing match. The OP asked if he could use the stock pushrods and use Comp 850's. Absolutely on both counts. The Andrews cams use the same base circle which means that by using his stock pushrods he will have the exact same preload as he has now stock. Many folks including myself prefer nonadjustables. Perfectly fine to do to that way and save a few bucks.

The Comp 850's are good to go and are used by thousands upon thousands of Indy's and individuals.

By going through the rockers and using 850's the OP is going to save himself around $400. Worst case he cuts the pushrods and installs adjustables later. If he's doing the work he will only be out a little time. There is absolutely no performance advantage to using S&S Premiums and adjustable pushrods. None.

Your right no performance advantage but a piece of mind. You spent 25k on a motorcycle and 400.00 is a kick in the bucket. Just cheap insurance.
But it's your bike and your money.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
How much is coming off the cylinder head deck, and what is the valve stem protrusion?
2 HUGE reasons to use an adjustable pushrod, say nothing of a better pre-load than from the OE fixed length unit.
BTW we just had 1-2-3 come in from the Jefferson, Maine area............:)
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts