Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the dealer today getting the tunes in my RGS....walk past the employee bike spots and see.......a '71 Super Glide owned by the only cat who works on my bikes and restored from the ground up - He purchased it from the mechanic who trained him when he was coming up and was the Original Owner - No Puddles, not even a drip....(1) Kicker (says everyone until it comes time to kick but this one is) and even wired for E Start - This is his project while his DD is a 60's Pan Suicide Shift - I made a crack as I was walking by his bay in the shop about selling it......to which he answered, "still needs a few more shake downs and its not for sale....unless YOU want it".....and who knows.....just might have to let the FXR go (Consignment of course) and make room for a Shovel....this thing is my kinda roll for sure....not sure if he still has the boat tail or not....don't really care either cuz I would not change a thing on it.....Oh the fuckin sound.....would need to carry wet wipes and start smoking again....

I need help....like professional "Do you Take United Healthcare" Help.......I just want 'em all man......is that so wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wow that's very nice....you don't need help...Do It !!! :p

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That is a sweet bike man! I was thinking stock looking... if the price is right and the wife does not kill you...

Do it. Or hell, if not let the site know and somebody here might jump on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that's very nice....you don't need help...Do It !!! :p
He just had it re-painted and it is BEAUTIFUL

I was there for (4) hours and got to ride the Live Wire (Duuuuuuuuude, wow, I mean, wow) and they even had an Indian FTR1200 with the Ohlins and Akro Exhaust......WOW......to be young and dumb again.....that FTR is the real deal and fast as FUCK....I had the Finc Mgr out with me and it was neck and neck with the Live Wire and I only lost a tad when shifting ...and that Live Wire is ALLLLLLLLL torque - I got the jump on him on the 3rd try once I learned the motor a bit and he could not walk away from me.....that FTR is fuckin fun man

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,082 Posts

·
8,082 Posts
At the dealer today getting the tunes in my RGS....walk past the employee bike spots and see.......a '71 Super Glide owned by the only cat who works on my bikes and restored from the ground up - He purchased it from the mechanic who trained him when he was coming up and was the Original Owner - No Puddles, not even a drip....(1) Kicker (says everyone until it comes time to kick but this one is) and even wired for E Start - This is his project while his DD is a 60's Pan Suicide Shift - I made a crack as I was walking by his bay in the shop about selling it......to which he answered, "still needs a few more shake downs and its not for sale....unless YOU want it".....and who knows.....just might have to let the FXR go (Consignment of course) and make room for a Shovel....this thing is my kinda roll for sure....not sure if he still has the boat tail or not....don't really care either cuz I would not change a thing on it.....Oh the fuckin sound.....would need to carry wet wipes and start smoking again....

I need help....like professional "Do you Take United Healthcare" Help.......I just want 'em all man......is that so wrong?
Go Eddie! Go Eddie! Go Eddie! .........

How many bike transactions can you do in 7 days? What is your current record .... 2 ....3?

Buy the ticket! Take the ride.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

Did y'all talk numbers ? Shovels are great bikes but take a lot more up keep than Evo's ,especially those 4 speed solid mounts.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did y'all talk numbers ? Shovels are great bikes but take a lot more up keep than Evo's ,especially those 4 speed solid mounts.
10ish

I have owned the FXR for a year and put less than 200 miles on it.....will ask hum more about maint and such as I know squat about it - My draw to the FXR is the Frame and Evo Motor.....if this is a constant wrench then I would pass in a heart beat as I don't have that kind of skill set

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
10ish

I have owned the FXR for a year and put less than 200 miles on it.....will ask hum more about maint and such as I know squat about it - My draw to the FXR is the Frame and Evo Motor.....if this is a constant wrench then I would pass in a heart beat as I don't have that kind of skill set
Stuff likes to rattle loose on them solid mount Shovels. The power plant was solid but everything else not so much. Loc-tite helps you still need to keep a maintenance schedule. Also the rear chain needs frequently tighten up depending on what type your running. I'd say 10ish is a little on the high side . IMO

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stuff likes to rattle loose on them solid mount Shovels. The power plant was solid but everything else not so much. Loc-tite helps you still need to keep a maintenance schedule. Also the rear chain needs frequently tighten up depending on what type your running. I'd say 10ish is a little on the high side . IMO
I would think it was too but trust the work into it by the guy who re-built the whole bike.....10ish off the internet from some cat 4 states away, I agree would be high but the 100% History of the bike is worth a few extra scheckles to me

·
8,082 Posts
SE - as we discussed in another thread very recently, there is a plus side to all that vibration from a solid mount! lol

Reactions: Desert Rider AZ

·
Administrator
10,491 Posts
First "Big Twin" was a 71 Super , was still original ( 1975 ish ) .. Gary's right , have to stay on top of it .. The one bike that I got rid of , that when I say I hated I sold , I really mean it ..
Sweet ..

JtB

·
Registered
381 Posts
RESTORED? You're kidding, right? The 1971 FX was the first Super Glide and an absolute landmark motorcycle in the MoCo history .... and it super-famously came with a boat-tail rear end with built-in seat and a frenched stoplight. And ''Sparkling America'' red, white and blue paint.

That's a beautiful Shovelhead but it's a customised '71.... which means it's worth a whole lot less than it could go for. Everybody and his dawg wants the real deal when talk turns to a 1971 FX .... 99% of Shovel fanatics and potential buyers expect to see THIS and are looking for THIS .....

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RESTORED? You're kidding, right? The 1971 FX was the first Super Glide and an absolute landmark motorcycle in the MoCo history .... and it super-famously came with a boat-tail rear end with built-in seat and a frenched stoplight. And ''Sparkling America'' red, white and blue paint.

That's a beautiful Shovelhead but it's a customised '71.... which means it's worth a whole lot less than it could go for. Everybody and his dawg wants the real deal when talk turns to a 1971 FX .... 99% of Shovel fanatics and potential buyers expect to see THIS and are looking for THIS .....

Yep.....and back in '71, MANY thought it was ugly as fuck (and many to this day still do) and took that Boat Tail right the fuck off - Willie G's first attempt at a Factory Custom (hence the FX)...mixed reviews all around on it look wise and just SCREAMED AMF of the time - I did not say "Factory restored" did I? - It also came in Green and this one was Green - Bought new in '71 by a HD Mechanic that my Mechanic got it from - It sat for years as the old guy could no longer ride so my Mechanic re-did (restored) the entire bike as he wanted a Shovel to sit next to his Pan and he new the history of the bike - I agree that a mint '71 Boat Tail is fetching over $20K in some areas....and not my particular brand of bourbon really and if his bike looked like this, I would not even give it a 2nd glance as I have no interest in that set up

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First "Big Twin" was a 71 Super , was still original ( 1975 ish ) .. Gary's right , have to stay on top of it .. The one bike that I got rid of , that when I say I hated I sold , I really mean it ..
Sweet ..

JtB
The draw for me Jack is the history and the looks - As much as I love the FXR and I am still blown away every time I ride a (21) year old bike that is smoother than some brand new....I am not a Chrome Guy.....but I am a purist in a sense that I love the history fo the FXR3 and finding mine was an opportunity I could not pass up - I have posted many times that I would love an old kicker to drop a big ass sissy bar with a K&Q seat to just kick back into it.....wondering I am my friend .....always wondering

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
He just had it re-painted and it is BEAUTIFUL

.....WOW......to be young and dumb again........

LOL......Get Back to me in 30 yrs (If Iam still kicking)

Shovelheads are my first true love, spent many a night with a bag of weed and a shop manual figuring out what went where and how tight to make it:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Got many a girlfriend from giving them a ride on my shovels. Most bikes had a solo seat on the seat post, so I would fold my leather jacket into a seat on the rear fender. Thinking about it now, maybe it was that vibrating V-twin they loved and not me>>>>LMAO.......
And it was a ritual to go over the whole bike with a set of wrenches after every ride, and roadside repairs were common. Its a different world riding a Harley today than it was 45yrs ago, but everything is different, some good .....some bad.

I always carry tools because it is so ingrained in my brain, but I have never used any tool on my twin cams on the road, so now all I carry is a tire patch kit
So now I'll say it.....To be young and dumb, and full of cum:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The draw for me Jack is the history and the looks - As much as I love the FXR and I am still blown away every time I ride a (21) year old bike that is smoother than some brand new....I am not a Chrome Guy.....but I am a purist in a sense that I love the history fo the FXR3 and finding mine was an opportunity I could not pass up - I have posted many times that I would love an old kicker to drop a big ass sissy bar with a K&Q seat to just kick back into it.....wondering I am my friend .....always wondering
So, when you going to get it? Sounds like you talked yourself into it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 79 Posts