Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, when you going to get it? Sounds like you talked yourself into it.
Not 100% yet - I am not a Wrench...more of a Spoiled Factory Rider .....and he is not ready to sell - 1st Step would be to put the FXR up for sale and still not sure if I want to let that beauty go...its a piece of HD History that I like owning

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Shovels.......
A pic just for the fuck of it, Whats Better Than 2 ?
And a reminder of the joys of non stop wrenching.....lol

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,082 Posts
Yep.....and back in '71, MANY thought it was ugly as fuck (and many to this day still do) and took that Boat Tail right the fuck off - Willie G's first attempt at a Factory Custom (hence the FX)...mixed reviews all around on it look wise and just SCREAMED AMF of the time - I did not say "Factory restored" did I? - It also came in Green and this one was Green - Bought new in '71 by a HD Mechanic that my Mechanic got it from - It sat for years as the old guy could no longer ride so my Mechanic re-did (restored) the entire bike as he wanted a Shovel to sit next to his Pan and he new the history of the bike - I agree that a mint '71 Boat Tail is fetching over $20K in some areas....and not my particular brand of bourbon really and if his bike looked like this, I would not even give it a 2nd glance as I have no interest in that set up
The issue here is your use of the word "restored' when you meant refurbished, rebuilt, etc. "Restore" indicates factory original condition. Semantics, but I agree with Dave in regards to the word "restored".

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The issue here is your use of the word "restored' when you meant refurbished, rebuilt, etc. "Restore" indicates factory original condition. Semantics, but I agree with Dave in regards to the word "restored".
I could point counter point this to death.....restore to me is bring back to life, restore life into something where it is lacking - FACTORY Restore means take back to Factory Form...."RESTO-MOD" all the rage these days, restore an old with all new...Yadda Yadda Yadda

If thats where the focus of this thread has gone and that one small word got directed, guys......go ride :)

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your fxr that you have and were just talking about.
Plenty of Pics on it around here and in my Album......and here are (2) more

The day I brought it home and the Day I re-installed (or restored)...you pick) the Exhaust after having it heat treaded with a Chrome Finish from Jet-Hot - The Bub Exhaust is the only after market thing on the bike that now has a tad over 3600 miles on it

Attachments

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Based on the two bikes your mechanic owns, I'm guessing he has a short commute to work.
Otherwise, he is truly a hard ass biker.
He has an '05 Night Train too when he is running late....but mostly he rides the Pan Head

Don't know about being a Hard Ass Biker but do now he (like many of you) was raised on the Bar & Shield and been around them his whole life basically - I'll snap some pics of the pics he has in his Bay at work of him as a kid on the bikes he know rides - I am a poser as I hated HDs for years and made fun of them all the time.....until I rode one and then it clicked and I bought one the next week...and that was in '07 - As I was to Dirt Bikes as a Kid, he was to Harleys with his Dad as a kid....hence why I trust the guy 100%

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

This is at my dealership, think it's what you are talking about. One of many awesome, older bikes that the owner owns.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

This is at my dealership, think it's what you are talking about. One of many awesome, older bikes that the owner owns.
That is the '71 Super Glide Indeed and a beautiful bike for sure......not my kind of beautiful but I respect the approach to the Boat Tail and why they did it

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Like that shovel, but really like your FXR.
Thx Man - I got lucky with it and bought it off the original owner who had (3) bikes and needed money....so he unloaded the FXR as he never rode it....kinda like we just did with the Wide Glide

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

This is the place that has all that old HD and Indians for sale right? All at exorbitant prices too!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah, that would be the one, owner has accumulated quite the collection over the years. The old saying "everything is for sale....at a price...."
Buy Low (usually out of desperation on the sellers end) when you can and not have to worry on about the ROI in terms of time.....and when it does happen, it's of the "Fat Pile" of cash nature as you buy said boat tail for $10K, put $2k in Labor into it and then double the price....and then knock off a thousand to make the dumb ass like me think he is getting a deal

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just gotta say, this is why I turn to you cats....for shot of honesty as I try and follow in your footsteps of "Cool Bikes" - I never would have considered the wrench aspect of a Shovel as I was still in that "Freshly Laid" feeling of finding this bike - Had Evos, TCs.....and one that I thought was the other.....and of course M8s so my next progression was to get a Shovel or a Pan to feel what they were "like to ride"....now I have to factor in the "like to own" aspect and if I want to deal with it...been toying with doing it and then forcing myself to learn......but also know my lazy side that kicks in after 17 mins and "just wants it done".......but I digress and push the internal dialogue aside

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
and of course M8s so my next progression was to get a Shovel or a Pan to feel what they were "like to ride"....now I have to factor in the "like to own" aspect and if I want to deal with it...been toying with doing it and then forcing myself to learn......but also know my lazy side that kicks in after 17 mins and "just wants it done".......but I digress and push the internal dialogue aside
yeah i wax nostalgic from time to time too...
and then i remember the late nights in bars and alleys trying to get that mudder fu*in bike to kick over and start.
or pushing it up and down the driveway until i have to sit down and catch my breath.
or setting points. or changing condensors. or fiddlin with the carb. or changing spark plugs every 6 months.

if i had my druthers, i'd buy an old pan, put it on one of those revolving turntables and just look at it!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts