Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just pulled the trigger on some tw-222's from fuel moto! Hopefully they'll be here before the weekend! Got a cam installer/puller off eBay too. Hopefully it will be here also. Shouldn't have a problem installing the cams. Just hope I can get the pushrods adjusted right!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Do you already have adjustable push rods? Your gonna need them unless you intend to pull the top of the motor apart also. I've read a lot of folks who don't like messing with them, but I like them myself. I don't find them difficult to adjust at all.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you already have adjustable push rods? Your gonna need them unless you intend to pull the top of the motor apart also. I've read a lot of folks who don't like messing with them, but I like them myself. I don't find them difficult to adjust at all.
Ordered them as a complete install kit from fuel moto.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ordered them as a complete install kit from fuel moto.
You going to cut (with bolt cutters) the pushrods or pop the tops off?

If you are going cut them, try and make sure you're on the compression stroke of the set you cut. Easy enough to do. A good rule of thumb, if you can spin em - you can cut em.

Adjusting pushrods is not rocket science. Hydraulics have lots of fudge factor in them. Just make sure you adjust them when you're on the base circle and don't roll the motor over until you can spin an adjusted pushrod with your fingers. With these new shitty Harley lifters you can probably spin the pushrod within a couple minutes after you've adjusted the pushrod... When you tighten up the locknuts don't go ape shit, but don't be too shy. Clean up the pushrod covers really well and use new o-rings. You will be very surprised how much oil will leak if the pushrod o-rings aren't clean or seated right...

Also if you're replacing the inner cam bearings, clean the bearings really good before you lube em with engine oil. You want to get all the packing slurry out of there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You going to cut (with bolt cutters) the pushrods or pop the tops off?

If you are going cut them, try and make sure you're on the compression stroke of the set you cut. Easy enough to do. A good rule of thumb, if you can spin em - you can cut em.

Adjusting pushrods is not rocket science. Hydraulics have lots of fudge factor in them. Just make sure you adjust them when you're on the base circle and don't roll the motor over until you can spin an adjusted pushrod with your fingers. With these new shitty Harley lifters you can probably spin the pushrod within a couple minutes after you've adjusted the pushrod... When you tighten up the locknuts don't go ape shit, but don't be too shy. Clean up the pushrod covers really well and use new o-rings. You will be very surprised how much oil will leak if the pushrod o-rings aren't clean or seated right...

Also if you're replacing the inner cam bearings, clean the bearings really good before you lube em with engine oil. You want to get all the packing slurry out of there.
Ditto the covers installed good. I had oil everywhere after the test run. Talk about a panic moment.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the pointers! This will be the first time I've changed cams in a harley. I've changed cams in several v8's before. Pretty sure I can tackle this.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I think you'll be surprised just how easy it really is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Be sure to use some assembly lube. All auto stores have it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I've been doing a lot of research and reading on how to replace cams on a harley. I've watched several videos too. Should be an easy/fun project to do. Just have to wait until everything gets here!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Clean up the pushrod covers really well and use new o-rings. You will be very surprised how much oil will leak if the pushrod o-rings aren't clean or seated right...
The one piece of information I didn't have when I did mine... I have a slight leak from the top o-ring. Tonight I'll be taking the push rod out, cleaning it, and re-installing it... I'm thankful it was the exhaust side that had the leak. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cam tool I ordered off eBay got here fast!!! Ordered it Monday and it got here Wednesday! Looks well made. It is made by MBS Manufacturing/Heartland Products. www.mbsmfg.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have done two TW-222 cam installs on 2012 Roadglides using Fuelmoto kits,
Easy enough for anybody with mechanical knowledge to do just take your time do it properly clean and lube everything ,get your oil pressure up with your plugs out and all will be good .....Dynoed mine at 99HP and 108 TQ .....im thinking headwork next :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Trex,

What exhaust and tuner with those 222 cams? Those are some nice numbers.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There here!

Like a kid at Christmas i waited on Fed-Ex today. Ready to get them in! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts