Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the benefits of one over the other and can you convert to a gear and how does one do that?

·
Registered
467 Posts
With a gear drive you have to check the crank runout before you run one. If the crank has any wobble to it (excessive runout) the gears can bind up or worse can break off teeth or even bust. The positive to a gear drive is that you no longer have to run the chain tensioners and you should have very steady timing.

With a chain drive you have a little more forgiving system for excessive crank runout. They are also quieter running. the negative side is you will have either a mechanical or hyd tensioner to keep pressure against the chain guide that keeps the chain tight.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
If the crank run out is under .003 , gear drive is definitely the way to go .. Most noisy gear drives are because they weren't set up right , which can be an issue also ..

JtB

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
If the crank run out is under .003 , gear drive is definitely the way to go .. Most noisy gear drives are because they weren't set up right , which can be an issue also ..

JtB

What he said^^^. I would also say that it would be a good idea to check the drive shaft side as well to see what your total run out is. The biggest reason most gear drive setups is noisier is that the installer does not check the lash between the gears. It can take longer to wait on a new pinion shaft gear that is larger or smaller to put the lash where it needs to be. With them setup the right way they are not much noisier than chain drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
^^^^^ what he said , most peeps never think about checking the drive side run out .. Well worth the wait to get over size or under size pinion shaft gear if needed .. There is a video somewhere I saw that explains it really well .. I will look for it and link it here if I can find it again ..

JtB

Found it , by Kevin Baxter no less .. Where's Brewiz ?? This is the guy that built Brewiz 113 .. Long video , but well worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts