Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the J&P video of the cams install and feel pretty comfortable doing the job myself. Other than the speciality tools and plate for the cam bearings and the gauge needed to check run out I have everything needed. Who here has done their own and are there any issues that arise that I should know before I do this? I'll probably bite the bullet and do this swap this coming winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about doing my own to, but I looked up those tools and the cam bearing/install tools are about $300.00, I think I'll have a good shop do mine, they have to feed thier kids to. I love doing my own work but with the cost of the tools which I won't use at all I'll let a pro do it. I'll do the monotubes and figure out which 21" wheel I want.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
A friend of mine bought the tools off of ebay for about $130 shipped. Then I purchased a cam locking tool and lifter holders for $40. We have changed cams in his bike and mine with no issues. Only thing I wish I had done, was buy new lifters.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My cams are on the truck, scheduled for delivery today. I'll be doing the install on Saturday.

One of the members here, X in Black, has a set of the tools that he's willing to rent for a very reasonable price. They should be here today or tomorrow as well.

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got a quote for 1400.00 for cams, lifters, dyno tune. They get about 400.00 for labor. I can live with that. I'm sure the'll do a good job. I'm not so sure of my confedense on doing it myself. What cams are you goin with?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Got a quote for 1400.00 for cams, lifters, dyno tune. They get about 400.00 for labor. I can live with that. I'm sure the'll do a good job. I'm not so sure of my confedense on doing it myself. What cams are you goin with?
I had a quote from an Indy here for $1200 for cams, rods and lifters. Tune wasn't included in that. And he really wanted to push the parts that he sells.

I've watched every video out there and I now have a high degree of confidence that I can do it myself and likely have better results.

I'm going with Woods TW-222 cams, Woods directional lifters, and Fuelmoto pushrods. All tolled, I'm saving 500 bucks. If you count the fact that I won't need a dyno tune (FM sent me a known good PV map for this setup), I'm even farther ahead!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thought process is this. I'm installing a Dragos pipe and thunder max with Drago tune. As long as I get cams that Frank is familiar with I should just need to get a new base tune from him and let the auto tune do the rest. Hell, with the deal I got from him on the pipe and tuner ill likely get cams from him as well. I understand that bike mechanics need to feed their families but I also like to get to know my ride better by wrenching on it myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I did mine myself. It's easy. I've got the bearing removal and install tools if'n you need em! You can save a ton of money doing it yourself. It's an easy job!

·
Registered
510 Posts
btw....The cam lock and lifter removal tools are not necessary for this job. Save you a few more bucks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just watched the J&P video of the cams install and feel pretty comfortable doing the job myself. Other than the speciality tools and plate for the cam bearings and the gauge needed to check run out I have everything needed. Who here has done their own and are there any issues that arise that I should know before I do this? I'll probably bite the bullet and do this swap this coming winter.

Just be real aware of the push rod tpi and what the manufacturer of the lifer recommends for adjustment. If you are running chain drive, don't worry so much about run out. When running gear drives, then worry about it and believe me, you will know when youhave run out issues with gear drives. Good Luck. OH and take a look at Goerges Garage, that is where I bout my cam bearing install and removal tool. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Tonight, it's Friday Night Steak night at my house:

But tomorrow morning, it's all about installing cams:

Complete with instructional tools:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice looking steaks! I hope the big ones yours. Good luck with the install. Keith

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tonight, it's Friday Night Steak night at my house:

But tomorrow morning, it's all about installing cams:

Complete with instructional tools:
Nice. Let us know how it goes. I'm getting antsy about doing mine. I spoke with frank and since I have to wait awhile for the pipe anyway I have some time to make a decision.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple. First I have to convince myself to dig into my two month old motor with 3000 miles. I would hate myself if something went wrong (cam related or not) and I had an issue with warranty. Second, which cams to get. Frank recommends the Tman 555, zippers 575 and the Dragos 501. I'm gonna do some research on them and others.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cam, lifter, and pushrod swaps are not that hard. Don't forget to budget for a bolt cutter for the stock pushrods if your going to adjustables.

Double and triple check the snap ring installation on that front cam.
The sharper edge of the ring should face outward.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Cam, lifter, and pushrod swaps are not that hard. Don't forget to budget for a bolt cutter for the stock pushrods if your going to adjustables.

Double and triple check the snap ring installation on that front cam.
The sharper edge of the ring should face outward.
Take your time, use good assembly lube and double-triple check the rear and front cam alignment too... take a picture even... If you forget to double check, even tho you are 99% positive of alignment on the bench, you'll wake up in the night and second guess. I know I did and it's not my first goat rodeo...

·
Registered
472 Posts
A couple. First I have to convince myself to dig into my two month old motor with 3000 miles. I would hate myself if something went wrong (cam related or not) and I had an issue with warranty. Second, which cams to get. Frank recommends the Tman 555, zippers 575 and the Dragos 501. I'm gonna do some research on them and others.

If you need help, I did a pretty intense build thread on a different forum that explains things well.. Check out the RS 557 as well, that is a great cam and I am using it now. :D Makes a lot of power. Let me know if you want the link to that build thread or not, it will help.:cool:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you need help, I did a pretty intense build thread on a different forum that explains things well.. Check out the RS 557 as well, that is a great cam and I am using it now. :D Makes a lot of power. Let me know if you want the link to that build thread or not, it will help.:cool:
I would like to check out your thread. Thanks to everyone for the advise and encouragement! I'm gonna wait till frank gets pipes in and ready to ship before I make my final decision but I am def leaning toward doing it. Everything was pretty strait forward in the J&P video but it still makes me a little nervous to dig into the internals on a brand new bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts