Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.. 31k on my 120ST, (23k from rebuild) and I lost a lifter... I caught it in time before it grenaded.

$1300+ in parts... TW-408-6 cams, billet cam plate, high volume oil pump, tapered pushrods, lifters, gaskets, bearings and other shit.

I'm just thankful I didnt destroy the motor.. very little metal in the oil... still... gotta flush it all.

Look at the roller get thin from right to left...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
What is a tell-tale sign that a lifter is going, so that you can catch it in time? I have been reading a bit too much about them lately, especially owning a 110" TC.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
What is a tell-tale sign that a lifter is going, so that you can catch it in time? I have been reading a bit too much about them lately, especially owning a 110" TC.
I caught mine from the knocking of the pushrod flopping around in the tube. Unmistakable sound. My lifter failure was clogged journals not allowing them to pump.up. Spazz looks to be a different story so his indicators may be different. But theres more than one reason a lifter fails.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Hopefully everything will be good to go after you get it all cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Was the failure a Harley lifter or aftermarketlifter?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Spazz, sorry to hear about Your misfortune but glad You caught it in time to fix it before it exploded and made a real mess of everything.
Ride On Bro!
Semper Fi!
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the failure a Harley lifter or aftermarketlifter?
This was a standard HD lifter... I pulled the SE lifters out at 2500 miles.

Btw... here is the new blurb from HD... the tech are changing lifters out at 15k miles now...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noisey top end is how mine started out.. like a loose pushrod... right after I pulled everything out and COMPLETELY OVERLOOKED this... I put it back together and adjusted my pushrods.... then I got the 'chirping' from the lifter... THATS When I pulled again and found this.

What you cant see in the pic is the amount of up and down play in the roller... the needle bearing are trashed and worn out... I can shake the lifter and hear the needles rattle in the roller

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That sucks! Are you replacing them with HD lifters?
Not my bike but S&S or a set from Larry would be going in. No way in hell would I put a HD lifters back in. Got lucky this time getting them out early. Next time might not be so lucky

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks! Are you replacing them with HD lifters?

Not my bike but S&S or a set from Larry would be going in. No way in hell would I put a HD lifters back in. Got lucky this time getting them out early. Next time might not be so lucky
I have had decent 'luck'with standard HD lifters... I'm still debating on S&S... It would be my only other choice

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
After your unfortunate lifter failure, S&S seems like the logical answer then.
When I was gather my parts for my build I didn't debate the lifter choice. Cams yes, so many solid choices.
S&S lifter track record is proven. HD, unfortunately that is proven also.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After your unfortunate lifter failure, S&S seems like the logical answer then.

When I was gather my parts for my build I didn't debate the lifter choice. Cams yes, so many solid choices.

S&S lifter track record is proven. HD, unfortunately that is proven also.
After rethinking on the lifters, I ordered a set of S&S

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: 28 aug 19

She is alive!! I went with the TW408-6 Woods cams, SE billet cam plate, SE high volume oil pump, Tapered pushrods and S&S lifters

Fired er up on Sunday... man.... what a different sound!!! She sounds ANGRY!!!

I dropped her off for a tune last night and pick er up today around 3pm

My tuner said I will be VERY happy with the results... he will produce and before and after on one sheet since I just had my last dyno in March 2019...

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
She is alive!! I went with the TW408-6 Woods cams, SE billet cam plate, SE high volume oil pump, Tapered pushrods and S&S lifters

Fired er up on Sunday... man.... what a different sound!!! She sounds ANGRY!!!

I dropped her off for a tune last night and pick er up today around 3pm

My tuner said I will be VERY happy with the results... he will produce and before and after on one sheet since I just had my last dyno in March 2019...

Stay tuned!
Sounds awesome. Glad you opted to not use HD lifters. That hardened coating coming apart and killing my can chest scares the shit outta me.

Good luck with it. What kinda numbers you expexting?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Damn Bro.....sorry to hear about the $1300 shot in the arse..........but it sounds like you are coming out the other side better than ever - Grip it and Rip it my man.........and post up that sheet

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sounds awesome. Glad you opted to not use HD lifters. That hardened coating coming apart and killing my can chest scares the shit outta me.

Good luck with it. What kinda numbers you expexting?
Well... I WAS at 124hp/129tq in March of this year... they are gonna put that one on the graph with the new one for comparison

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Congrats on the build and getting it fired up. Interesting cam choice. Ive not seen much on that cam but did some digging. Was any other cams considered? Not bashing at all just wondering.
Any headwork?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts