Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pouring through the various threads looking at cam info, but I thought it would be more helpful to start my own.
Cams are among my list of upgrades so my decision starts here. I have 2016 RGS with V&H FP3, V&H Power Dual Headers, V&H High Output slip ons, and a RSD Slant AC. Most of my riding is 2 up, and a good chunk of that is with king tour pak loaded for long trips. I live in Wyoming so lots of mountain riding but plenty of flat country in between. I don't plan on increasing the size of the motor. Also, aside from cams, not sure what other performance mods I should do? So, I'm asking for all your thoughts/experiences on what cams I should go with and for any performance upgrades.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely worth your time and effort to give Fuel Moto (https://www.fuelmotousa.com/) a call and get you headed in the right direction. They have a lot of dyno charts on their page as well that you can browse and get an idea of what gains you're looking at.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!!!
Thank you for chiming in. I'd been to their site and will go back over, check it out and make the call.

Jim

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Jim, given that you ride 2 up a lot and in mountains, I would think that you would want a cam that hits low in the RPM band to be the most useful. Something like a Woods Prowler .222 or even the Harley .255. I had the 255 in a Ultra Classic that I had bumped to a 103 from a 96 and really liked the low end pull.

+1 on calling Fuel Moto. They recommended the Woods 555 cam for my current bike and I am very pleased with it, but that's my riding solo in hills, not mountains.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat as you Jim, except I ride one up most of the time. When it is just me, my bike is fine, but it's when the wife and I add the tour pak and load up for longer trips, I notice the need for a little more oomph. I am not a very mechanical person and don't understand things like compression, lift etc. I just know that I'd like to have a little more power available when we are touring. I'd also like to get better gas mileage too!

Running just about the exact setup as you – v&h power dual headers, screamin eagle mufflers, big sucker AC, and FP3.

Let me know what you find out!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Check out the tech forum. Lots of dyno sheets there. Lot of pro engine builders over there with tons of knowledge of what works for what you want. CycleRama 570-2 is the hot bolt in cam over there for a bolt in cam that pulls hard down low.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Look at Tman cams. The 555 and the 600sm.https://tmanperformance.com/product/twin-cam-t-man-555-torqster/ Both cams designed for 2 up curvy mountain roads. Im running the Andrews 57H and when we go to NW Arkansas riding 2 up I have lugged my engine many times. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident and the 57 always pulls strong. I did change the head gasket out and bumped the compression up to 10.1:1 from the stock 9.7:1.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
There are two ways to gain power and increase acceleration.

Mod the engine or decrease weight.

I chose the latter. Lost 30 lbs myself and pulled the tour pack and run a solo seat. Increased my power to weight ratio without spending a dime. >:)

Hope you find the balance that works for you. :smile:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you’re going to do the work yourself I’ll send you my cam bearing tools to borrow and trust that you’ll send them back.
Damn, thanks MightWhitey, that is very generous. I'm not real handy with a wrench, although I did just install new bars, opening up the engine is pretty intimidating from my view. But if I go that route, I'd probably take you up on that. Thanks again, man!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sort of in the same boat as you Jim, except I ride one up most of the time. When it is just me, my bike is fine, but it's when the wife and I add the tour pak and load up for longer trips, I notice the need for a little more oomph. I am not a very mechanical person and don't understand things like compression, lift etc. I just know that I'd like to have a little more power available when we are touring. I'd also like to get better gas mileage too!

Running just about the exact setup as you – v&h power dual headers, screamin eagle mufflers, big sucker AC, and FP3.

Let me know what you find out!
Will definitely keep you posted!

I was through your neck of the woods last summer on an 8 day ride. Headed from Boise up to Couer d'alene, into BC and over to Glacier. Was a great trip and you have some fantastic riding over that way.

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I chose the latter. Lost 30 lbs myself and pulled the tour pack and run a solo seat. Increased my power to weight ratio without spending a dime. >:)

Ha, very good point, and I could stand to lose a few, but if I lost 30 I'd weigh less than i did when i was 15. I could tell the old lady that she needs to lose the weight (she does not need to), or that the bike is too heavy with her on it and I'm riding solo from now on, but I'm pretty sure either of those options ends badly for me!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spoke with the kind folks at fuelmoto and they were very helpful. I was told my V&H High Output slip ons are having a negative impact on the low rpm torque because the baffle core is too large and cannot provide the appropriate level of backpressure. They recommended either the Wood 222 or 555 for your bike. The selection comes down to how you ride your bike and specifically your normal shift point. If you do not rev past 4000 rpm I recommend the 222 if you rev over 4000 rpm a lot the 555. Most Touring bike riders have been adding the 222 since they typically do not run higher rpms. They also recommend that I replace the slip ons. So now I have to figure out where my RPM range is (guessing under 4000) and then decide if I want to replace my slipons, which I don't. It's just $$$...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd be interested to know where everyone likes to shift.... I consider myself a pretty aggressive rider and even I am usually right around 4000 to 4500 rpm when I shift- I dont really see the need to go much higher and push the the motor that high on the rpm range.

If you're replacing the slip ons, I'd just do it right and make sure you swap out the header as well and get rid of the stock ones- they are restrictive as well. Also, for an extra $400 or so, I'd tack on the auto tuner for the Power Vision or whatever brand tuner you go with- with your mountain riding and altitude changes, the bike is going to run a lot better with the ability to monitor and adjust for your current conditions.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop on what you decide!!!!!!

I spoke with the kind folks at fuelmoto and they were very helpful. I was told my V&H High Output slip ons are having a negative impact on the low rpm torque because the baffle core is too large and cannot provide the appropriate level of backpressure. They recommended either the Wood 222 or 555 for your bike. The selection comes down to how you ride your bike and specifically your normal shift point. If you do not rev past 4000 rpm I recommend the 222 if you rev over 4000 rpm a lot the 555. Most Touring bike riders have been adding the 222 since they typically do not run higher rpms. They also recommend that I replace the slip ons. So now I have to figure out where my RPM range is (guessing under 4000) and then decide if I want to replace my slipons, which I don't. It's just $$$...

·
Registered
217 Posts

The latter solution can end up more expensive then a full prep. 143 engine vs a divorce

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I'd be interested to know where everyone likes to shift.... I consider myself a pretty aggressive rider and even I am usually right around 4000 to 4500 rpm when I shift- I dont really see the need to go much higher and push the the motor that high on the rpm range.

If you're replacing the slip ons, I'd just do it right and make sure you swap out the header as well and get rid of the stock ones- they are restrictive as well. Also, for an extra $400 or so, I'd tack on the auto tuner for the Power Vision or whatever brand tuner you go with- with your mountain riding and altitude changes, the bike is going to run a lot better with the ability to monitor and adjust for your current conditions.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop on what you decide!!!!!!

There a pretty lengthy thread on the other forum on where people ride and shift m8's.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just had HD install the HD torque cam and as I have said in several threads it was the best money I've ever spent at Harley. The power comes on just where I need it. I would have went with FuelMoto but I'm trying to keep my warranty.
Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts