Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the looks of most dyno results the stage 4 kit only gets on average about another 5-10hp and Tq (if the intake and exhaust has been done). So my question is why spend all that extra money for a stage 4 when it looks like cams are very close to the same performance, or am I missing something. I know all dyno's are different so that is probably part of it, but is was thinking stage 4 and now I am rethinking it. Any input is welcome. Txs

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Your right stage IV builds don't give you that much more bang for the buck. A good cam, exhaust and intake upgrade with a good EFI tuner and a dyno will give you all you really need for a good rideable touring bike.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
If that's all a stage 4 will net you then yes, add cams, intake, exhaust, tuner, and maybe some headwork, and you can gain a lot more than that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Fuel Moto's 107 kit appears to give numbers close to 120R motors with cams intake and exhaust. Check out their stuff yet? I would really be considering that if I was in that market. I may go that route after I ride the piss out of my Stage 2 with SE255 cams. Bike runs hard and fantastic with the SE tuner and a dyno tune so will run this for a few more years.

I havent heard or seen many intriguing stage 4 kits done on this forum or in person, atleast not the harley one.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Very straightforward to establish north of 120/120 with a 107".
We were doing that on S&S 107" engines loooooooong before these messages boards were invented.:)
Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stage 4
Used tman 590 cams instead of SE cams .
Although the SE 259 does pretty well also .
If your stage 2 ( just cams ) does 93 /110 that's 20 hp less and 10 tq less .
Big difference

·
Registered
852 Posts
Exhaust, Intake,Tuner, Cams and tune will really give you a good bang for the Buck and you can do it in phases to help on cashflow

If you have the funds, I would go the 107 route before going the HD stage 4

IMO The 107 build seems to offer a better bang for the buck than the Stage 4

BTW...my opinion and $5 will get you coffee at Starbucks ;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
After stage1 77 hp 88tq. SERT V/H high output 2 into 1 pipe and new air intake. Stage4 121 hp 118tq. Same tuner, same pipe. I did change the air intake. For me it was worth it. I wanted a bike that I could pass with and get back to cruising (with the wife).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Harley Stage 4 kit is the most unreliable kit for numbers have I have seen.. I have seen 106 to 120 on dyno sheets for those kits.. I can get over 100 with cams, pipes, air, tuner and a .030 head gasket. If you are going to do anything go with a 107 from:

Fuelmoto, Frank or Hillside

These guys all know their business and offer the best kits with the most consistant dynos out there.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Fuel Moto's 107 kit appears to give numbers close to 120R motors with cams intake and exhaust. Check out their stuff yet? I would really be considering that if I was in that market. I may go that route after I ride the piss out of my Stage 2 with SE255 cams. Bike runs hard and fantastic with the SE tuner and a dyno tune so will run this for a few more years.
I havent heard or seen many intriguing stage 4 kits done on this forum or in person, atleast not the harley one.

I'd have a really hard time cracking open a good solid 103" motor just to add 4 cubic inches. Heads, and the right cams with the correct compression will gain you much more than the 4 cubic inches.
The Harley "stage" builds are all pretty conservative and generic.
I keep waiting for something to die in the bottom end of my motor so I have an excuse to build a big inch touring motor.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'd have a really hard time cracking open a good solid 103" motor just to add 4 cubic inches. Heads, and the right cams with the correct compression will gain you much more than the 4 cubic inches.
The Harley "stage" builds are all pretty conservative and generic.
I keep waiting for something to die in the bottom end of my motor so I have an excuse to build a big inch touring motor.
You say that only because u haven't ride it. Between 35 to 50% increase in power. It changes the ride completely. Now I can see the other side if it is not broke don't fix it. But I did mine with 3k miles lol. I would do it again In a heartbeat

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the stage 4 kit on my 2010, and it is plentiful of power. I hardly ever get to twist the throttle all the way back because nobody around here can hang with me as it is. I am, however, considering selling my motor, and going with the 120R. Then dropping another 2-3 in to have it built out as well. But at that point it basically becomes a rocket. So you have to ask yourself, when will you really need all that power. But either way. To give an opinion, IM glad I went with the Stage 4, and Im glad I had the dealership install it. I have had no issues with it since it was installed, and it still gets decent mileage, and enough power to make me satisfied for now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That dyno sheet says MVA heads ?...do they come in a stage 4 kit now ? I had a stage 4 kit in my 13 RGC . I was happy ! But then got a 14 SGS and added dresser duals, AC and PC5 ( stage1 ) basically.......seat of the pants I can't tell much difference, maybe at high RPMs......both top out at 122 - 125 mph. When I do something more to this ....it will,be Dragos or Fuel moto...I live in the mid west.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts