Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes and yes

Need head work & bored intake for full compliment. Dan Vance racing did the work and recommended the cam. I was hanging with 120r motors to their dismay. 103 hp & torque. Can't wait to do it again on new bilke. Talk with Dan Vance. Guru!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
They don't work well with a stock engine.
The 777 & 888 need a higher compression than stock engines will put out to perform right.
If you don't plan on doing engine work the 222 or 555 will be a better choice.
Look a Fuel Motos web sight and pull up the dyno sheets on the Woods cams and you will see that the 222 will put out just about as much HP and torque as a 777.
The 222 will have better low end torque, you will see that it will break the 100 ft lb of torque at a lower RPM then the other cams and that's what you want in a touring model.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
+1 with ironmark, if your not doing any engine work go with a low end torque cam, woods 222 are excellent or feuling 525 very similar excellent results in low end torque and accel.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to do head porting and 107 big bore kit this summer at some point. Just $$ isn't there rite now cause winter in the car business in Montana stinks. I'm using my tax refund for cams bags and rear fender. Then i figure by june at the latest I'm going to do the 107 big bore kit from fuel moto

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well in that instance then the cam choice would be different, I actually prefer Andrews cams as well as feuling, woods are great but they fall into a higher price range IMO.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Road dawg where would i look for andrews cams. Ive got a friend that deals with them a lot from Dobeck performance and he tried to get me to get a set last summer and can probably get me a great deal on them. What about Jim's V twin ?? Any good or bad about his products

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Don't know about jims v twin, but just for purchase options direct cycle parts or eastern performance usually has good deals, Hillside cycles is also a dealer and a very knowledgeable dude.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you do the 107 kit the 222 or the 555 will work well for you as well, but with the bigger 107 engine the 555 would be a better choice.
When looking at Fuel Motos dyno sheets pay attention to how much extra HP and torque you get out of preformance heads compared to stock heads.
On a average you will only gain 3 to 5 lbs of torque with the performance heads over stock heads which IMO is not a good bang for the buck.
$200 to $333 per ft lb of torque is not a good return on your investment unless you are running your bike balls to the walls all the time. JMO

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironmark. I have and I also was considering a stage 4 harley kit. Its $4000 installed and the max HP is at 6000 ROM and tq is also at 5000
I researched today and the best bang for the buck is kury cams a TC24D 575 lift and 247 duration with real dyno #'s of 101HP at 4500 rpm
And 113 TQ at 4500rpm
But the TQ is 98 at 2650rpm. Has a great torque curve. So cams pushrods and a tuner ill have $1100 into it and not $4-5000. For 7-12 more #'s. What you think a kury cams?? Any thoughts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I have no personal experience with the kury cams so I have no opinion on them.
What I looked for the last time I shopped for cams for my bike was the low end torque cam and the HP wasn't important to me.
The heavier touring models seem to work well with cams that produce torque early and hold it longer. I looked at what RPM the cam breaks 100 ft lbs of torque and when it drop below 100 ft lbs of torque and where and how much torque is at the peak.
I use to run the SE255 cam and I liked the low end torque that that cam had but it dropped off quick, the 255 would hit a 100 at 2200 rpm and fall below a 100 around 4200 rpm so it fell off too quick for me.
The Woods TW 222 would hit 100 at 2200 rpm and fall below 100 at 5200 rpm which is a nice torque curve that produces great torque in my average riding rpm range.
Also any lift over .550 is a waste and doesn't do much good unless you do a lot of higher compression performance mods. That is why most good torque cams have around .555 lift such as the SE 255, Woods TW 222 and 555 and T-man torquester 555. These cams also break 100 at 2200 rpm to 2500 rpm and hold torque to 5200 to 5400 rpm.
All #'s are approximate.
Cam price is not an issue to me even though I like to save a buck just like everyone else. If you find a cam that you like the specs on then get it because it is the best performance mods you can do to the bike.

Look at as many dyno sheets that you can find on the cams you are interested in. Make sure that the dyno sheets are on builds that are typical to your bike.
Make sure to study up on cams and how the cam grinds, valve duration, overlap and when the valves open/close affect performance.
Most important is take your time when shopping for a cam because it is a hard decision to make.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much. Drago's has a cam he said if i buy it and am not happy he will buy it back. That seems like a good offer. It has a 585 lift. The kury is a 577 lift. The woods 777 is 575. I like the torque #'s a the kuryakyn tc24d the best. You are correct and I could care less about HP. I want stump pulling Tq

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thank you very much. Drago's has a cam he said if i buy it and am not happy he will buy it back. That seems like a good offer. It has a 585 lift. The kury is a 577 lift. The woods 777 is 575. I like the torque #'s a the kuryakyn tc24d the best. You are correct and I could care less about HP. I want stump pulling Tq

Can't beat that offer. I had some general questions for Frank last month about his cams I put in 6 months ago. He said he'd buy them back if I wasn't happy. I defiantly won't be taking him up on that offer, all smiles here. It makes me want headwork now!!!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
funny thing about cams is I got my feuling 525 cams for a lot less than woods 222 and they are close, so close if you rode it you would not feel it, and a lot less green, woods doesn't grind his own cams I think they are Andrews but don't quote me on that, shop around some are priced too high just for the name, I like the woods cams but IMO they are overpriced, everyone is different, I swear by feuling and a lot of people on the forum don't run them so it comes down to preference, but the most important aspect is what ironmark said, torque torque torque!!!:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts