Road Glide banner

What is the better cam for a 110 to 117 upgrade?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking into upgrading my CVO 110CI to the 117CI. However, I noticed that the $2095 kit comes with SE-295E cams while the SE-585 cams are sold separately at $330. Isn't the 585 the better cam? Why wouldn't they put the better cam with the new upgrade SE 117CI kit? Is the 295 actually better for the larger motor? Am I missing something here, or is this just one more HD design to force you to spend several more H-D's (Hundred Dollars).

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
So, I'm looking into upgrading my CVO 110CI to the 117CI. However, I noticed that the $2095 kit comes with SE-295E cams while the SE-585 cams are sold separately at $330. Isn't the 585 the better cam? Why wouldn't they put the better cam with the new upgrade SE 117CI kit? Is the 295 actually better for the larger motor? Am I missing something here, or is this just one more HD design to force you to spend several more H-D's (Hundred Dollars).
Neither, put the S&S 585 in it and you will be a very happy camper!

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
TW 999..........590 - You'll thank me later - I have them on my 117 Kit and have ZERO complaints

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have purchased the Rockouts, S&S standard lifters and all the gaskets i will need to do a cam upgrade. It is a very hard decision on which cam to use. I am looking at the Andrew 57h cam, Andrew 48h, and the S&S 551. Right now my bike is stock with just the baffles removed w/stock air cleaner. I am thinking of using the S&S adjustable push rods instead of the stock ones if it is a must. I will eventually buy a TTS tuner, pipes, and a better air cleaner. Not wanting a race bike but wanting more power on the low to mid range area. OK, here it comes, is there a better cam than i have listed that you can recommend that's better for low torque performance without head work? I am just gathering all the parts i will need so when i get started i will have everything right there to finish up. I know this is like the which oil is better subject but i am stumped on which cam to invest in. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I passed on the SE259 cams and stock lifters in the 117" kit.

Aftermarket for both, I drank the Koo-Aid and went GMR 577 & GMR Lifters.

Happy, happy, happy for now. Come this winter, sending Heads down south

and getting hopefully my final dyno tune!

>:)

YB

Reactions: sloride

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I would seriously look at the S&S 585 for your build. Also, the new zippers 587 I think for 110's might be a good option. We put it in a CVO SG stock 110 and it made 104 hp and 118 tq. Really nice curves and came on at about 2700 rpm at 100tq. If doing heads, I would go with the 585 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Like you I was almost all stock had pro pipe and air intake went with a set a Kuryakyn TC24D and was super impressed. Dealer that installed them was so impressed with the Dyno #'s he now uses them in most of his builds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts