Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short backstory:

Bike - 2010 RG custom.
Amp - Hogtunes 24.2 two channel in fairing.
Speakers - Hogtunes 572.22-AA 5x7's.
Ground - Battery.

System has been in bike for a long time. About a week ago, The quality of the sound is now bad, but only while the bike is moving and over half volume. It sounds like an FM station that is not getting good reception even when its on aux or cd. It is worse when bass hits. Does not do it while sitting still. Does it 90% of the time at driving speeds.

-----------------------------------------

As most of you know, Im having one of my usual un-diagnosable issues. I have been in contact with hogtunes customer support, and they assure it is not an amp issue like I suspected. Their tech says if the battery is getting weak, it can make the distorted sounds I get over half volume because the battery acts as a filter for the sound.

I don't understand this but was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?

Any other ideas are appreciated as well. I have checked and cleaned the speaker connections and that did not help.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. Everytime. I would have no clue that anything "could" be wrong with the battery. No signs pointing to a bad battery. Volt meter good, lights are bright, etc etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would point back to the stator replacement and possibly a connection has worked slightly loose. The noise you are describing reminds me of the feedback I used to get on an old jeep. I would get noise back through the radio that increased with RPM. I had to install a filter adapter on the connection to the alternator to get rid of the noise. It wasn't as bad on FM as it was on AM, but you could hear it go up with RPM increase going through the gears.
Not a 100% guarantee, but I would start troubleshooting there.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would point back to the stator replacement and possibly a connection has worked slightly loose. The noise you are describing reminds me of the feedback I used to get on an old jeep. I would get noise back through the radio that increased with RPM. I had to install a filter adapter on the connection to the alternator to get rid of the noise. It wasn't as bad on FM as it was on AM, but you could hear it go up with RPM increase going through the gears.
Not a 100% guarantee, but I would start troubleshooting there.
Volt meter on bike is now running at 14-14.2 when riding. It's only around 11.5 with the key on engine off.

I also now have an ABS light on and some codes.

I'm trying to figure out if if could be the battery, voltage regulator, stator, a combination, or other.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's probably a blown speaker coil, you would have problems with the bike running bad if the charging system was below 13+ volts when riding. It might be a bad ground wire or loose speaker wire, but with my experience being a musician for 40 years, speakers sometimes crap out! Improper ohm balance or pairing will burn out the voice coil and make them sound like a kazoo!

Just my opinion.

Scoop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts