Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 2016 RGS, I did a stage 1 kit using a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header, Jackpot Mufflers, Screamin Eagle A/C, and Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. I recently purchased TW-999-6A cams, Wood's Alpha lifters, and adjustable pushrods. After I install these new parts, I am going to have to have the bike tuned again.

I am considering my options. I can pay the HD tuner another ~ $400 to tune the bike or I can look at buying the Dynojet Power Vision tuner with a map from Fuel Moto. Considering most of the parts were purchased from FM, I am sure they have a pretty good base map to start from.

If I decide to go the PV route, I will be able to tune the bike in the future as well if needed. Since things are never done, there may likely be other engine mods to come.

The big question is, can I sell my Race Tuner to someone to recoup some of the money? Or is it somehow married to my bike and thus not useful to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
You can sell anything you want but that tuner is branded to your VIN. It's junk to someone else. Nothing runs better than a tuned bike. No canned Map on this planet is going to run better than a DYNO TUNED bike PERIOD!

Your not going to gain anything going to a powervision but a lighter wallet.

· Registered
502 Posts
Nooo!

No. It is married tor the bike. If you are lucky someone may have a download that might match. Otherwise hang on to it and get a new dyno tune.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Kind of figured this was part of the deal. I believe in the end a tuned bike will perform better. I will just have to swallow the additional tuning charge when major changes/upgrades are performed. No major biggie, though.

BTW, EODHOG, that is a beautiful bike. I admire it each time I see your posts with her in your signature line.

· Registered
336 Posts
A brief novel. My mind started wandering.

You can sell anything you want but that tuner is branded to your VIN. It's junk to someone else. Nothing runs better than a tuned bike. No canned Map on this planet is going to run better than a DYNO TUNED bike PERIOD!

Your not going to gain anything going to a powervision but a lighter wallet.

The only genuine advantage to the tuners with the canned and/or tunable maps, is that you can tinker with it yourself, and make the bike "runnable" to the best of your ability. The dyno-proven maps are adequate, but not exceptional.

If you're always swapping pipes, intakes, cams, etc., the programmable tuners are the way to go to keep things running, and not go broke paying for dyno time.

Unless you sell your ECM with the SERT, it's useless. It's a "married couple" once activated.

Also worthy of note- I've paid for a dyno tune on my bike, swapped the exhaust, ECM and SERT to another bike, then taken it for dyno tune.

Essentially, that would equate to a "canned map". Same model bike, same year bike, same mods (intake and exhaust only). Same operator on the dyno even..... 9hp, and 12ft/lb. difference (less). The SERT was mapped on bike 1, bike 2 was apples-to-apples. Both had under 10k miles. After tune, I was within 4hp of bike 1, and torque was a spot-on match. That's as good as it got.

It never ends, and the cash usually can't keep up with the mods.

That being said- No 2 production motors are IDENTICAL in every aspect. Balance of components and precision assembly in mass produced machines is an expensive prospect. A quarter gram difference in the weight of a connecting rod, a piston ring out-of-spec, a head gasket bolt too tight on one corner.....

All of these things add up. With the advent of CNC machinery, the tolerances become tighter, and assembly becomes more critical.

This is particularly evident in many high end firearms. The "boutique" 1911's come to mind: Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat and the like. I could never justify the cost of a $3k-$4k pistol. The break-in period for some is such, that you have to dump a couple hundred rounds down the pipe before it's a dependable sidearm. I'm OK with my old Kimber (not a cheap pistol). But it's as tight as it needs to be to function reliably. It'll obliterate a paper plate at 30 feet with a single magazine. It'll always shoot better than I do. And it was affordable.

· Registered
502 Posts
Thanks guys. Kind of figured this was part of the deal. I believe in the end a tuned bike will perform better. I will just have to swallow the additional tuning charge when major changes/upgrades are performed. No major biggie, though.

BTW, EODHOG, that is a beautiful bike. I admire it each time I see your posts with her in your signature line.
Tanks canderso1970. I appreciate that. I like it a lot. I can't see what you got there. Share a good pic.

· Registered
8 Posts
As others have mentioned the sert is married to your ECM. If you want to tune it yourself, or plan on doing the upgrades at different times etc, and don't like the sert, contact Fuel Moto, I believe they have a buy back/trade in program where you can get credit for the sert towards a new tuner.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tanks canderso1970. I appreciate that. I like it a lot. I can't see what you got there. Share a good pic.
Here are a few photos:

Added some chrome cowbells, lower sliders, axle caps, and color matched lower fairings.

Added Polk MM651 speakers to the lower fairings and upper fairing. I need to complete to the wiring and the install of the Soundstream amp.

And added some Factory 47, 12" chrome Malo bars.

I am hoping to ride in to work on Wednesday. Last I checked the weather predictors were calling for mid-70's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.