Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo I'm curious to know if just like on a cage, if you touch the positive and negative cables together will it clear the ecm? Didn't know if this would work or not. Since I added slip ons over the winter wasn't sure if I should just leave it be or not till I get a tuner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If all you did was add slip ons you shouldn't have to worry about a tune. I don't think I'd touch the cables together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
He's correct, the MoCo downloads are built on the assumption that all EPA components (cat converter) are in place. Once they're removed, you will be running lean.

These air cooled motors do not respond well to running lean.... If you're catching an MIL, then your ECM has confirmed that you are running outside of it's available fueling tables.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's correct, the MoCo downloads are built on the assumption that all EPA components (cat converter) are in place. Once they're removed, you will be running lean.

These air cooled motors do not respond well to running lean.... If you're catching an MIL, then your ECM has confirmed that you are running outside of it's available fueling tables.
What's a MIL?

All I've done so far is my s&s open element a/c and a set of se thunder street 3 ½s. I really don't even care about changing my head pipe out right now either. That's why I'm trying to avoid buying a $800+ tuner. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's a MIL?

All I've done so far is my s&s open element a/c and a set of se thunder street 3 ½s. I really don't even care about changing my head pipe out right now either. That's why I'm trying to avoid buying a $800+ tuner. Any suggestions?

Malfunction Indicator Light (Check engine Light). When you installed the high flow air cleaner kit, you allowed more air into the combustion chamber (good), but the ECM's stock reference tables have very little options to correct for the increased air charge. Which is why you have the MIL. Even with the stock header with the cat intact, you'll still inhale more with the upgraded intake. If you were at my counter, I'd recommend either a basic fueler, or at minimum the stage 1 ECM flash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Or you can decat it yourself ...there is a thread on here that explains it well I did mine and got a tuner from dobeck performance and have had no trouble at all and I also wrapped my headpipe with muffler wrap to cut out more heat

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Malfunction Indicator Light (Check engine Light). When you installed the high flow air cleaner kit, you allowed more air into the combustion chamber (good), but the ECM's stock reference tables have very little options to correct for the increased air charge. Which is why you have the MIL. Even with the stock header with the cat intact, you'll still inhale more with the upgraded intake. If you were at my counter, I'd recommend either a basic fueler, or at minimum the stage 1 ECM flash.
What's the stage 1 ecm flash? By basic fueler I'm guessing you mean the the cobra powerpro or the se tuner?

So far I have put atleast 500 miles on since I added the slipons to the mix an no check eng light.

I have given thought to doing the decay. Just not interested in tearing the bike apart again as I'm literally days away from finishing the winter project.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
G90,

Simplest easiest thing for now with your basic stage 1 is a Cobra or a V&H Fuelpak with a canned map! This will allow you to richen the fuel up enough to get rid of lean situation. Both are pretty basic plug and play tuners that will get you through for a minimum expense in the tuner category.

You can always upgrade later to a higher end tuner like a thundermax or PowerVision when you do more internals such as cams or headwork.

Thats my two cents eh!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Calgary Ride. You just need something to give a little more fuel. The MoCo's stage 1 download re-flashes your stock ECM with new fuel/timing tables that adds a little fuel, and minor adjustments to the timing to not run excessively lean, but remain EPA compliant and designed for use with their SE components. If you are going to keep the stock header with cat intact, it'll work. If not, you'll be wasting your money. Depending on your dealer, it's usually around $150.

The products that Calgary Ride is referring to would be mounted to your bike, and modify the signals leaving the ECM to your motor to achieve the amount needed for your add-ons. PC-v, Power Vision, V&H Fuel Pack, Thundermax Auto-Tune, Dobeck TFI and many others are of this type. These products usually start around $190 on up.

The only caution I'd give is that the Fuel Pack canned maps (mode settings) are geared towards Vance and Hines products.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd first state the obvious caveat: It's your bike, exercise due diligence since none of us will be picking up the tab if it all goes wrong....

With that in mind, with your set-up, in my humble opinion you should be fine. The SE intake systems are really quite efficient, and comparable to many of the after-market offerings.

The argument can be made that you can give it more fuel with another layered on technology, because its a true statement. If you decide to, you can add it on later. Plus, your ECM will have a better map flashed on it if your fueler component ever goes out while you're on the road.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd first state the obvious caveat: It's your bike, exercise due diligence since none of us will be picking up the tab if it all goes wrong....

With that in mind, with your set-up, in my humble opinion you should be fine. The SE intake systems are really quite efficient, and comparable to many of the after-market offerings.

The argument can be made that you can give it more fuel with another layered on technology, because its a true statement. If you decide to, you can add it on later. Plus, your ECM will have a better map flashed on it if your fueler component ever goes out while you're on the road.

Well that makes sense. I appreciate the advice from everyone, especially triumph. You guys helped a lot. I'll go schedule an ecm flash and go from there. I'm really about two years away from some if any motor work so I didn't want to damage anything by running to lean without a tuner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts