Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to add a little more light to the rear end of the bike so finally got to work on it. Added red LED accent lights between the bas & fender and installed an LED run/brake light to the back of the passenger backrest. The accent lights are from Autozone and tapped into the run light wiring.

The run/brake light is from Autozone too and is a semi trailer light. I built a harness and connector to plug into the bike connector for the tour pak lighting. Fabricated my own bracket to mount it and powdercoated it gloss black. I had hoped the bar for the backrest was hollow and I could run the wiring internally but no such luck (then again it wouldn't be as strong as it is if that were the case)! ran the wiring down the right side and zip-tied it to keep it secure.

All in all was about a $59 mod plus my time to get it all done......

Running lights........

STOP!! lights......

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My eyes are bleeding! lol

Man, if that doesn't get you noticed, nothing will! Good job on achieving your goal with a little ingenuity and without spending big bucks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Holy fu##-me-running. It's only a picture and that is bright as all get-out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest thing I was trying to accomplish is getting some light up closer to eye-level for anyone behind me when I have the backrest on!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wow! That looks pretty awesome. Looks like a BAL alternative to those of us without the square tail light and at a fraction of the price!

Great job!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
You left off one word off the end of your thread title, the one that starts with A and ends with Hole!

Ingenious!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Man I'd be afraid a Boeing 747 would take that for a landing field ;)
Grats to you for getting it done for that price and making it functional!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job. Those are solid bars instead of tubing???????
I started drilling straight into the end of the right arm and made it in about 1 1/2" and it was still solid so I stopped. FIlled it in with JB weld and black touch-up paint.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Innovative - looks good............

·
Registered
37 Posts
I real like what you did with that light. I did not want to drill any holes in my back rest. Or have a piece of steel to use. So I took a few round head bolts a grinded off most of the head tell it was real flat. I then used a few washers to have it grab the edge of back rest support. I brought the LED light at Wal-Mart painted it black on the outer edge as it was white. I did leave the inside white to reflect the light better. It is a high mount break light at the moment might change it to a run/brake light later.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Looks good, and bright enough to hopefully catch the attention of those texting also.....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts