Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have calmed down about my crash and now ready to start fixing my bike... The dealer has a painter that said he could not match my candy orange paint. I have to have a front fender and I am ok with that. However, my outer fairing and left saddle bag have scratches and chipped paint only. Painter said because I have painted inner he is afraid it will not match. Not sure why he said saddle bag will not match??

My question for you guys is matching this paint that hard and expensive to justify buying a new saddle bag and outer? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
My bags were stolen and I just ordered color matched bags from Harley as the paint is $300 and labor to paint bags would probably be another $700 or more plus the price of the bags. I just priced getting a front fender only done in this color from Road Hawg here on the site. $350 labor, $300 paint plus the price of the fender. I'll stick with what I have for now as close to $1000 for a color matched fender is outrageous. I should have bought a black bike.

All that being said, if you want to buy the paint and split part of it with me that would be great. All I need is enough for a wrap around fender.

The part numbers for the paint are
98628-djs Ember Red basecoat $187.78
98628-dpu Candy orange base $139.06
99825-02 Urethan Activator $55.95

So it looks like $382.79 but I am sure we can get it for less from PC Pain.

Drew

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bags were stolen and I just ordered color matched bags from Harley as the paint is $300 and labor to paint bags would probably be another $700 or more plus the price of the bags. I just priced getting a front fender only done in this color from Road Hawg here on the site. $350 labor, $300 paint plus the price of the fender. I'll stick with what I have for now as close to $1000 for a color matched fender is outrageous. I should have bought a black bike.

All that being said, if you want to buy the paint and split part of it with me that would be great. All I need is enough for a wrap around fender.

The part numbers for the paint are
98628-djs Ember Red basecoat $187.78
98628-dpu Candy orange base $139.06
99825-02 Urethan Activator $55.95

So it looks like $382.79 but I am sure we can get it for less from PC Pain.

Drew

Wow you can buy a color matched front fender from dealer cheaper... I have the problem of finding a painter that can match this up.. I will be the first to say Idk shit about paint... I am open to working together to reduce the cost!!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ok so I have calmed down about my crash and now ready to start fixing my bike... The dealer has a painter that said he could not match my candy orange paint. I have to have a front fender and I am ok with that. However, my outer fairing and left saddle bag have scratches and chipped paint only. Painter said because I have painted inner he is afraid it will not match. Not sure why he said saddle bag will not match??

My question for you guys is matching this paint that hard and expensive to justify buying a new saddle bag and outer? Thanks
Do a custom paint job on it and you don't have to worry about matching it.:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
A friend I ride with is a painter. I was going to have him do my windshield. But the almost $300 just for paint was a bit much to pay just to paint a windshield . But if we can work something out to split the cost I'm all in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
We need to all agree on one painter and we can have him paint all our stuff. Someone make a list of all of us interested please.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
So far I have Fleshwound and Boxer Cop. I need you both to post what you need painted. All I need is a front fender.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
At my cost of 20% off the paint comes to $310.23. Some contact PC Pain and see what his price is as I am sure it is less than that. If no one has done this by tomorrow I'll get to it in the am.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Its just really frustrating with the special order colors costing $300 a pint just for the special effect layer, and a painter still has to supply the primers, main layer color and quality clear with activators etc. But you can expect a perfect match each time when you go that route.

The paint you buy at the dealer parts counter is a different formulation than the actual PPG paints and just "mimics" the actual color rarely if ever giving an acceptable match.

All my non "special order" paint job prices include all materials with no surprises,

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
We did this color for a customer on a fender and my painter who has been painting probably 40 years had to do a few takes to get the color just right. Live and learn on Harley candy colors. It would probably cost the same to get a fender candy orange as to paint the entire bike vivid black.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've found the oranges are the most finicky shades to get the candy color to line up on.

The Mirage Orange Pearl is another tough one, its not a special order color and can be mixed at your local PPG jobber but it is a "W price code" making it almost $190 a pint for the main layer and $190 a pint for the tinted layer!

Btw, when I do one of the special order colors for a customer I put his name on the can and it wont be used on another bike at all without his approval.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts