Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Had a Stage III installed in my 17 RGU along with FM ceramic headpipe and SuperTrapp FatShots with 27 discs. I have a PowerVision I was using before the install and did indeed pick up quite a bit of "giddyup." I have not tuned it with the PV since the Stage III as the "canned" map from HD via the SE Tuner provides me with sufficient additional HP and TQ (no dyno yet) with excellent MPG.

But, I have to ask myself, what am I leaving on the table by not doing an AutoTune with the PV on this new setup?

Any ideas?

Muchas Garcias. ;-)

BG

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi folks,
Had a Stage III installed in my 17 RGU along with FM ceramic headpipe and SuperTrapp FatShots with 27 discs. I have a PowerVision I was using before the install and did indeed pick up quite a bit of "giddyup." I have not tuned it with the PV since the Stage III as the "canned" map from HD via the SE Tuner provides me with sufficient additional HP and TQ (no dyno yet) with excellent MPG.

But, I have to ask myself, what am I leaving on the table by not doing an AutoTune with the PV on this new setup?

Any ideas?

Muchas Garcias. ;-)

BG
You're running lean with the SE tuner. The fuel adjustment is very little with that tuner. EPA and Moco have there thumb on fuel adjustment via SE tuner. The PV will get you where you need to be...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've asked a similar question and through a much heated debate, this is what I can tell you:

The ONLY way for you to really get the answer you want, is to dyno the bike with the SE tune and then turn around and tune it with the PV and do another Dyno run. Numbers are always going to be a little different on a bike that isn't yours, so any data you may look up might be off by a few from your bike.

The SE tune may get you "close" to where you should be, however it is not going to take all of your components into account and adjust for their optimal performance and efficiency. If you bought the PV through Fuel Moto, they can tune it for the exact components on your bike and get you "closer" to where that perfect sweet spot is- however, if you want the cherry on top, you need to dyno tune the bike with the PV and get the EXACT tune for your bike and the parts installed, this is what will give you the best performance and efficiency.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's probably going to save pages of debating things trying to get to the answer above!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've asked a similar question and through a much heated debate, this is what I can tell you:

The ONLY way for you to really get the answer you want, is to dyno the bike with the SE tune and then turn around and tune it with the PV and do another Dyno run. Numbers are always going to be a little different on a bike that isn't yours, so any data you may look up might be off by a few from your bike.

The SE tune may get you "close" to where you should be, however it is not going to take all of your components into account and adjust for their optimal performance and efficiency. If you bought the PV through Fuel Moto, they can tune it for the exact components on your bike and get you "closer" to where that perfect sweet spot is- however, if you want the cherry on top, you need to dyno tune the bike with the PV and get the EXACT tune for your bike and the parts installed, this is what will give you the best performance and efficiency.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's probably going to save pages of debating things trying to get to the answer above!
Actually that's not true. You can hook the PV up without marrying it to the bike. Set up the guages to where you can visually see the fuel ratio. I have a Stage III on a 2017 CVO street glide. It's a 117" engine now. It was originally tuned with a SE tuner. I hooked the PV up and monitored the fuel ratio. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were not satisfactory, too lean. I now have the PV married to the bike and I run a D&D 2-1 exhaust. It's tuned via the PV and fuel ratio is great. Had it set a little high in the first pic. Autotuned it and it's better. I also run the DynoJet Target tune on the bike. It has Wide Band O2 sensors and it makes real time adjustments while you ride. Keeps the tune you load to the bike in optimal settings at all times...

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't believe that's what he wants.... he's asking what kind of extra TQ and HP he's giving up by staying with the SE tune vs. going the PV route. But, you old crusty Louisiana bikers always have good points and he SHOULD hook up the PV to adjust that lean fuel ratio!!

Damn you all- i'm ready to cancel my extended service plan and buy the PV and start planning to have Fuel Moto do a 117 kit next winter when I can't ride the beast!!! Maybe I just start with the PV and see where things fall (trying to breathe..... wooo saaaaa)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't believe that's what he wants.... he's asking what kind of extra TQ and HP he's giving up by staying with the SE tune vs. going the PV route. But, you old crusty Louisiana bikers always have good points and he SHOULD hook up the PV to adjust that lean fuel ratio!!

Damn you all- i'm ready to cancel my extended service plan and buy the PV and start planning to have Fuel Moto do a 117 kit next winter when I can't ride the beast!!! Maybe I just start with the PV and see where things fall (trying to breathe..... wooo saaaaa)
Well, he'running too lean with the SE Tuner. And he can get a better all around tune with the PV. What ever he wants to do. It's his bike/money...

·
Registered
353 Posts
But, I have to ask myself, what am I leaving on the table
I'll guess You're leaving about 15%-18% across the board with the SE tune. Hp/Tq/Rideability. Just a guess based on some conversation with the folks at FM.

That being said, I don't know how well the PV's Autotune feature works or the impact that the base map provided has on it.

As Singlebeam stated, the Target Tune option with Closed loop wide band capability would undoubtedly yield better results...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Well, he'running too lean with the SE Tuner. And he can get a better all around tune with the PV. What ever he wants to do. It's his bike/money...
Just curious as to where you are getting your info that running the SE he is running too lean? Is there a link to a website of someone that has run the test and shows the data?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just curious as to where you are getting your info that running the SE he is running too lean? Is there a link to a website of someone that has run the test and shows the data?
Its all over the web. Research it, epa mandated fuel settings for se tuner. Plus I checked my se tune before marrying the pv to the bike. Contact any reputable Dyno guy, ask him. Contact fuel moto. Im not debating this with guys. Ask your dealer. Get someone witg a se tuner and hook up a pv, run data logs. I just know mine was lean and now it's not. Why do you think EPA is interested? Why is it not legal to run any other Turner on the M8 bikes?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Its all over the web. Research it, epa mandated fuel settings for se tuner. Plus I checked my se tune before marrying the pv to the bike. Contact any reputable Dyno guy, ask him. Contact fuel moto. Im not debating this with guys. Ask your dealer. Get someone witg a se tuner and hook up a pv, run data logs. I just know mine was lean and now it's not. Why do you think EPA is interested? Why is it not legal to run any other Turner on the M8 bikes?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I have talked to people so I really just wanted to know if the was any info that could be looked at as I haven't seen anything posted. I know that the SE tuner is limited and that HD also limits their cams too. I just wanted to see the graphs showing how lean they actually run.

Not going to highjack this thread so I will just leave this alone here.

To the OP: The canned map from HD is just fine to run as long as you feel it runs right and feels good to you. No lean misfire on decal and good throttle response etc.... There is no doubt though that by doing an autotune with the PV it could be even better. I have always believed that getting a good dyno tune is the best and still do but the technology is catching up where the auto tuners are closing the gap.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, such excellent insight. Ok, so I'll go save my SE Tune, then run the PV on it and log some data. Is there anything that I can capture that will help anyone else with a similar situation? The PV seems easy to operate, but I want to make sure I save this original SE tune.

Thanks so much everyone. Keep the info coming! I did notice that V-Man said I was leaving 15-18% behind by not running the PV, so this will equate to at least 15-18 ponies?

BG

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Wow, such excellent insight. Ok, so I'll go save my SE Tune, then run the PV on it and log some data. Is there anything that I can capture that will help anyone else with a similar situation? The PV seems easy to operate, but I want to make sure I save this original SE tune.

Thanks so much everyone. Keep the info coming! I did notice that V-Man said I was leaving 15-18% behind by not running the PV, so this will equate to at least 15-18 ponies?

BG
Im no math wiz’ but I’ll take a stab at this...if you’ve got a 100 ponies already then yes, by V-man’s claim, not my own, you’ll gain 15-18 ponies. 😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts