Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A group of us rode down to the Cannonball Bridge that runs across the Wabash River between Indiana and Illinois. It is located just south of Vincennes, IN. We had about 12 bikes and 5 of them were RGs. This bridge is supposed to be haunted by those that hung themselves from it. The bridge used to be a train bridge and they converted to a one lane car bridge by putting a wood deck down. It is kind of scary riding across because there are open spaces between the boards. And the boards that you ride on move up and down as you ride across them. Here's some pics.

From Illinois side

A picture from under the bridge. You can't ride down the middle!

From Indiana side

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That looks like alot of fun! Adding this to the buckle list of possible day-trip midwest locations.

How is the riding in that surrounding area? Being near the river I'd hope for some curvy or hilly roads.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Cool looking bridge and i bet there was some good body english to keep on the boards ;)
The Yukon River Bridge on the Dalton Highway in Alaska is the same. It's 2,300 feet of parallel wooden planks. About halfway across, I quit looking down and just moved fast enough to stay vertical in case it got hairy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did that bridge a few years back Ozoneman, ya end up in St. Francisville IL. I did have to pull over and let my hands dry off and check my drawers after crossing. The boards actually move up and down, and shift side to side. Your bags almost scrape the guard rails. It puts your straight line driving skills to the test. In the middle it looks like your 100 feet over the water. I think the toll was 75 cents 1 way. Definitely a bridge to brag about crossing on your scooter. My wifes uncle is the self proclaimed mayor of St. Francisville and he helped convert the RR bridge to the toll bridge. Just tell the toll booth person that Uncle Kenny sent ya. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have to pull over and let my hands dry off and check my drawers after crossing. The boards actually move up and down, and shift side to side. Your bags almost scrape the guard rails. It puts your straight line driving skills to the test. In the middle it looks like your 100 feet over the water. I think the toll was 75 cents 1 way.
I'm glad you felt the same way about riding the bridge. After we crossed from Indiana to Illinois, I really didn't want to ride back across, but I didn't have any choice unless I wanted to go out of my way to cross the river elsewhere.

We didn't go as far as the toll booth. After crossing, we just turned around and headed back. When I was heading back, to top it off, a strong gust of wind hit me while I'm trying to keep the bike going straight. I felt like I was in a slow ride race at a bike rodeo, except there seemed more to lose if I lost my balance.:eek:

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
It's quite a way...260 miles (all the way across Illinois and some of Indiana) to the center of Parke County.
That makes for a nice day trip ;)
Imagine trying to get a 100 RG parked on that stretch for a photo OP! "Shark Train coming"!! Would be WAY cool...but I know the Ride Captains pretty much already planned their routes...might just have to take a ride down after shark week to check it out :D
Another subject for the beer talk after the days events in the hotel parking lot.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imagine trying to get a 100 RG parked on that stretch for a photo OP! "Shark Train coming"!! Would be WAY cool...but I know the Ride Captains pretty much already planned their routes...might just have to take a ride down after shark week to check it out :D
Another subject for the beer talk after the days events in the hotel parking lot.
100 RGs on the bridge would be very cool! Just to clarify, it is about 320 miles to the bridge from Le Claire. Anyone heading back east via the bridge and/or southern Indiana, let me know so I can suggest some nice riding roads thru Indiana.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts