Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Guys, I just put in daymakers and hogtunes amp and speakers, now trying to line up outer fairing hooks is driving me insane. anyone have this problem before and know why I cant seem to get the hooks to line up ? This is killing me .....im wondering if it might be the extra long wires and connectors that are added with they daymakers getting in the way but just not sure ... frustrated in Vancouver >>>>aahhhhhh

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can't remember exactly what I read about this common frustration, but I know it has been brought up many times before. Hopefully someone will chime in or else I try to search the topic for older posts. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going to try taking the headlight out ...what a frustrating item ....thanks for the help

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do a search for fairing removal, good thread gives all the details on how to get it back on, and yes taking out the headlight makes it easier.

Jay

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My fairing was much more difficult to install after I added Daymakers. I put up with it for a long time (including removing the headlights to install the fairing). Eventually, I cut the two three prong connectors and several inches of the harness out and re-soldered and heat shrinked (shrunk?) it all back together. Everything fits better and the fairing hooks up nice and easy.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I don't know if the daymakers make any difference because I am still running stock lights. Make sure that the wires are tucked in and/or zipped tied out of the way the best you can making sure the fairing mounting hooks a fully exposed. Make sure you don't have the light assembly adjusted to far back so adjust the light assembly as far forward as you can and still leave room for adjustment. Holding the fairing up to the inner fairing you can see where the windshield ends on both sides of the fairing, just pass that you will see the fairing makes a change which I call points. Line up the points of the inner and outer fairings, this will line up the mounting hooks to the slots in the outer fairing then lift the outer fairing up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and push the outer in and then down, the outer should be on the hooks if done right. It may take a few tries but once you do it you will be surprise on how easy it is, if you are still having trouble you may want to take out the headlight assembly which many member find to be the easier way to mount the outer fairing.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I always get it lined up with the edgrs of the innerfairing then give i a good pop with the palm of ny hand at the center top of the headlight edging and it pops on everytime.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Remove the headlights.

Hang the fairing without the headlights. Watch your cables and connectors, make sure they are available thru the headlight holes.

Take the headlights out of the mount. 4 phillips head screws per headlight. With Daymakers, they matter which side they go in. Note the rubber bushing on on each one, that goes towards the center when you put them back.

Now, finish mounting the fairing, complete with turn signals and top screws. Remember, the longer top screw goes in the bottom hole by the glove box.

Once you have the fairing mounted, time to put in the headlights. Start with the mounting frame, sans lights. This is where you may find an issue. With all the additional wiring, you might have blocked the adjustment screws from getting all the way thru to the holes in the inner fairing. They are the bottom two screws, and may be longer that before. They stick out in back of the inner fairing now. That makes it much easier to adjust the headlights. If you have a blockage, and it is just a matter of moving wire bundles, good. If not, you may have mounted the amp over the holes, or something like that. If you did, take the fairing back off, remove the blockage and start over.

Once you have the frame mounted, you can put the headlights back in. Pay attention to the rubber bushing on the lights, that goes into the new bracket you mounted on the fairing. Once you have the lights in, test them. Don't forget to test the ACC position on the key switch, that should light the Logo's in the Daymakers.

If everything is working, mount the bezel, stand back, have a beer (eh?) and enjoy your work.

Now that you know how to get just the headlights in and out, you can use that knowledge to take them in and out to get some access behind the fairing. This is useful when you replace your gauge lights with LED's ;-) Depending on how much room you have, how big your hands are, and what you've added, you should be able to reach the gauges from the headlight holes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im in Langley , and taking the headlight out and install the fairing worked ..not easy but it work .pain in the ass though ......but looks and sounds great ..thanks guys

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
i always take out the headlights. Last time I put outer fairing back on took maybe 25-30 minutes. One thing that seemed to help was I put Mr. Grip in all 6 screw holes. It gave it a good, positive grip when attaching screws. Bump.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
..... anyone have this problem before ....
....... nope... no one's ever run into this before
..... other than the replys before this one, yer on yer own buddy ;)

... i've read somewhere that you're not a 'qualified' member of the Secret Society till you're taken off your fairing & gotten it back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Road glide outer fairing

I installed the Daymaker lights on my 2013 Road Glide. I had some problems putting on my outer fairing and until I realized that the headlight adjustment screws were hitting on the holes on the inner fairing side. This occurs because the Daymaker headlight adjustment screws are approximately an 1.5 inches longer. I swapped out the headlight adjustment screws with my stock headlight adjustment screws and the outer fairing went on fairly easy.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I installed the Daymaker lights on my 2013 Road Glide. I had some problems putting on my outer fairing and until I realized that the headlight adjustment screws were hitting on the holes on the inner fairing side. This occurs because the Daymaker headlight adjustment screws are approximately an 1.5 inches longer. I swapped out the headlight adjustment screws with my stock headlight adjustment screws and the outer fairing went on fairly easy.
the adjusting screw length shouldn't matter. they stick out into the inner fairing area so that you can adjust them. if the length of the screws is giving you a problem, then you might have something routed wrong and providing interference.

are you able to adjust your headlights? while on the bike that is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize the adjustment screws are supposed to stick out of the back side of the inner fairing. The problem I had was the adjustment screws were rubbing at the bottom of the hole on the inner fairing. This caused the fairing to tilt forward. The fairing was then very difficult to mate up on the top portion of the fairing due to the binding of the adjustment screws on the inner fairing. I can still make plenty of adjustment to the lights with my stock adjusters. Just make sure you measure the Daymakers adjustment screw height and compare it to the stock adjustment screws. I saw a couple of postings on line were some people had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had the same issue, I was recommended by someone on here to take the headlight out to install the fairing. Definitely liked that idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts