Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Cam choice

• S&S 475

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Harley Torque Cam

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • S&S 465

Votes: 4 33.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
855 Posts
If you're referring to the Screaming Eagle torque cam, they're on opposite ends of the performance scale. The torque cam is low to midrange rpm band, geared toward gaining some passing power, two-up, etc. Where as the 475 is mid to upper rpm range. The HD cams won't give you the engines full potential due to epa constraints, compared to aftermarket brands. Choice depends on your riding style and where you like the power to come in and drop. Regardless of which cam, you will see a gain over the stock cam at any rpm.

I'm partial to the 475, as I just installed one in my bike. There are other popular ones that may better suit your needs. Some may not have the highest hp/tq numbers, but give a nice gain over the whole rpm range.

If you're out of warranty or don't care, use an aftermarket tuner(Powervision, etc.), to see full potential gains.

Reactions: madmat and Bruce00

·
Registered
526 Posts
Goody-

Don’t get too spun up over making a decision on a cam. Try and look at it from the other end of the spectrum that there’s so many good ones out there, you’ll eventually get an awesome one.

I’ll echo the above sentiment. It really comes down to what you want performance wise and what your riding style is. I’ve installed 2 S&S 475 cams on friends bikes and they love them. They wanted that 3-4th gear hard pull and that’s what they got out of it.

I wouldn’t go with the S&S 550 cam for your engine. That’s too much lift. I had installed it in my 117 a few years ago before doing an engine build to a 128, but that cam kicked it at 3200 rpm and pulled like hell as well. I think the 475 is perfect for the 114 motor. If that’s where you want your power to be, I’d recommend it.

The 475 is a solid cam. If you go with it, I would at a minimum highly recommend getting S&S tappet cuffs (the stock ones are plastic garbage and the adjustable push rods. If you want it done 100% right, I would also select the S&S cam plate and oil pump.

Enjoy the process!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just had the S&S 475 installed along with the feuling cam plate and oil pump. I like it but I'm still wanting more torque on the bottom end of the gears.

Feuling just came out with a 472 cam, it's supposed to be really good as well but I couldn't find any reviews on it at the time I was doing mine. You may want to look into that

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ceez-

The 465 cam may be what you’re looking for. Give S&S a call, they’ve always been super helpful. They even recommended I go with the fueling 592 cam for my 128 build, but unfortunately they only make it in a chain cam.

Reactions: smitty901 and Ceez

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Fueling or Andrews Trq cam is my vote..

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
my take.....MoCo cams underperform......wait until your Shark is no longer under warranty....then you can maximize performance using an aftermarket cam....I'm biased, but recommend looking at Woods WM8-22XE...and you can get them from Fuel Moto.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yall are awesome. I may want to wait till the warranty is out. I have looked at the woods cam and it looks smooth. I'm not really caught up on the torque and horsepower numbers. I am really just looking for something that performs well in low to mid range. I dont ride this thing hard. I have a Busa and a speed triple for that.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Yall are awesome. I may want to wait till the warranty is out. I have looked at the woods cam and it looks smooth. I'm not really caught up on the torque and horsepower numbers. I am really just looking for something that performs well in low to mid range. I dont ride this thing hard. I have a Busa and a speed triple for that.
Look at real world DYNO numbers with the S&S 465C kicks ass on torque from the second you let clutch out well into anything you do on the street. Simple stage one with that cam a canned map and away you go money still in your pocket.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
If I were you I'd talk to the guy thats gonna tune the bike to see what they recommend. Discuss with them what you're looking to achieve and they'll more than likely guide you on how to get there. Just my opinion though so good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
When searching for a cam, I was mainly focused on low/mid-range power as I have a heavy bike and frequently travel long distance with a passenger. At the same time, I didn’t want a total tractor pulling cam that choked out completely by 3500RPM. A good friend of mine tunes for a living and guided me towards the CR480. Instant torque right off idle and it stays flat rather than dying off quick.

First photo is a 5th gear pull with my 117”, 6th gear would show higher peak numbers, but this gives you an idea where it’s making the power. Second photo is a 114”. Keep in mind a crumby exhaust system can ruin it all. Both bikes have actual performance-oriented exhaust systems rather than wide open systems that are just loud and kill power.

I’ve done this dance many, many times so wanted to provide some unbiased feedback based off real world experience. Dyno sheets don’t always tell the full story but can tell you this setup feels great at the throttle hand. I had a Road King before this bike with 142HP and enjoy this setup better because of where its making the power.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
23 Posts
This video compares multiple cams for the M8.
Cam Shootout Series | Part 1 (S&S 475G, Wood Knight Prowler 22x, Comp Cams M8 246A, Redshift RS472)

I am installing the 22XE this spring.
What exhaust you planning to run?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cam choice is always an interesting topic. Make sure you get good components to support the cam. As others have said there are a lot of good cam choices. The TTS 175 is similar to the S&S 475, so if you like the S&S I'd look at the TTS 175 as well. Both cams are good with the 114, but if you keep them, and decide to build to a 128 they become torque monsters. If you look at the Moonshine Harley 124/128 video they show an S&S 475 keeping up with some bigger cams and producing the same torque numbers faster. That's the cool part about those two cams (and I'm sure others I'm not naming) is that you can put them in once, and leave them there for awhile. You can leave the stock valve springs, and save money a bunch of other places as well. The 175 and 475 won't produce the best HP numbers in the big bore kits, but for they money I think they do a great job in the 114/128.

Make sure you get a good exhaust. Like a Fullsac, D&D, etc., and a good air cleaner to compliment your cam. Always fun to pick out bike stuff.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
398 Posts
I like the way you recognize that certain platforms are designed for specific tasks.You have your stable complete.One for going fast, one for going hyper fast and your now H-D touring bike.That said as I mentioned in another post Intake exhaust a SE TQ cam and an SE tuner and you add about 18 HP and some nice TQ gains.Its a cost effective solution under warranty after that the intake and exhaust should transfer over to a bigger build after stage 2 the cost goes up a lot.Spend it on the Busa there is a guy in Eligin Illinois the Miami crowd send theirs to him the turbo(s) that he sends back are ....welll

·
Registered
21 Posts
2020 RGS 114 I did lots of research and phone calls and couldn't be happier with the Woods WM8 22xe, I was after low to midrange get up and go and found it with this set up. Also installed the Fueling cam chest, woods lifters and S and S lifter cuffs. I had SE stage 3 products in my 2017 and just didn't feel the power I have now, granted the engine was only a 107.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
If I were you I'd talk to the guy thats gonna tune the bike to see what they recommend. Discuss with them what you're looking to achieve and they'll more than likely guide you on how to get there. Just my opinion though so good luck
Bingo

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I just installed the 475 cam from S&S back in October and I love it. I went thru a few configuration setups until I ended up with the 475 and Dynojet Powervision combo. I have a series of videos you can watch here from start, to install to sound comparison on stock cams to the 475c cam.

and there is also this FP3 to Dynojet mini review

Also is a bassani DNT & Supertrapp Fatshots comparison

Reactions: Ike Burns

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,541 Posts
Ok so I have added the 465 to the pile. It seems to be more for what I do.
I may end up with that Cam when I do mine. My first choice is the woods WM8-22XE, but it may come down to cost and availability when I pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision, there is so much to look at when choosing a Cam but in the end the best choice is to get a cam any cam 😁 Even the SE cam is a huge upgrade as Moonshine shows in part 2 that paired with the right tuner it is right there with the big dogs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts