Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Cam choice

• S&S 475

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Harley Torque Cam

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • S&S 465

Votes: 4 33.3%
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Take a serious look at how you ride. The 465 will be stronger than the 475 on the low end, equal to it in the mid range, and give up a little over 5000rpm.

Where do you spen the most time? Under 3000 or over 5000?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am usually under the 3k I dont hotrod this bike. I have other more well suited for that idea. I wanna go fast I just on the speed triple. I want to go stupid fast then the Busa is up.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My bais for the 465C is the torque it gives in the places most ride. Also a Cam that is easy to tune for. Simple power vision tune from place like FM is spot on.
The feel of the cam when you roll on the throttle is strong.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
i've been mulling over S+S 465, Woods 22X and the RS 468 cams. they all give great low end numbers.

the 113 in my heritage is a blast to ride, but the 600 cam doesn't make enough torque until you hit 4K rpm

i just want more of what is already there. prolly go with the 465.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
855 Posts
Cyclerama CR480 is another one to consider, good broad power. It was the other I was deciding between the 475. FuelMoto didn't have much experience with it when I ordered, so not much to go on.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 22XE. I didn't vote as I would not choose any of teh cams listed above and there is not an option for other.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When I decided to do the cam chest the 475 was was choice. Then a member here posted the suggestion I may want to look at the 465. I did . Found I had fallen for the trap of looking at the end result numbers not the full story. The 475 was a great choice but it was focused on HP on the higher RPM scale. The few extra HP was not really in play for me. The torque and where it was was the real story.
The more I compared them the better the 465 looked

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I went SE down the line for Stage I and II projects and have no regrets. Cost me nothing by using HD Visa rewards points and the performance boost meets all
my needs and expectations. Plenty of two-up pull and excellent passing power. Love the new lope at idle. Kept my warranty intact which was a bonus. Chose the TQ cam instead of HP cam as it fits the RPM range I prefer riding in most of the time.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
You can chase cams all day long and you'll probably never be really happy. Everyone is going to tell you how great their cams are but you don't know until the cams are in your bike.
The earlier twin cams 88 ci, 96ci, 103, 110ci, engines did need a cam upgrade up until HD came out with the HO (high output) engine which was just a factory cam upgrade.
I'm running a 2015 103 HO in my 08 right now and I see no need for a cam upgrade in this engine. I get all the torque that I want form the stock engine.
The newer engines should come with a good cam for the model they were intended for and provide plenty of torque.
BUT if you do want a cam you would be better off choosing a low end torque cam that at low RPM will pull like a freight train and not level off on the top end until you get over 5300to 5600 rpm.
In my old 103 I have Woods 222 cams and that cam was a stump puller I could be in 6th gear @1800 rpm and just roll on the throttle and I never had to downshift to pass cars in a second, top end would level out around 5500rpm. JMO
Good luck on your choice

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the S&S 475 installed along with the feuling cam plate and oil pump. I like it but I'm still wanting more torque on the bottom end of the gears.

Feuling just came out with a 472 cam, it's supposed to be really good as well but I couldn't find any reviews on it at the time I was doing mine. You may want to look into that
Recently finished dealer installed Stage 2 Horsepower cam kit on my existing Stage 1 - 2020 Road Glide 114. This kit really woke the motor up. For the cost, warranty retain-ability, and reliability of the bike it self, this was a great move. Shifting in 4th and easily into the 80-90mph range. Though, you will lose a bit of the gas mileage, but well worth it.

Strongly recommend Power cam over torque cam, but this is really based on how you ride and what you want from the motor.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Ok so I have added the 465 to the pile. It seems to be more for what I do.
That is why I when 465C over the 475. there are more aggressive cams . But as you push for more number other issues can and do come up. My plan is to put the 465C in the 114.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I’m thinking similarly, 465, red shift 468 or woods 22x is what I have it down too now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts