Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have not heard much good about the J&M stuff but to be fair I have never actually HEARD it. Supposedly there is a lot better equipment out there for the money. Case in point, Biketronics or Arc Audio (if we are talking amps).

I have the BT4180.14 and love the simplicity of the system (no gains) and the warranty/customer service. You are not going to find a better warranty and resource for questions than Mike and Donna. If money were no object or I could start all over, I'd get the new BT4250 (so new it's not on their website yet). It is a 4 channel version of the 2250 and has some gain control adjustment. Spendy (I think it's $800-900) but, buy once cry once.

When you start getting the audio bug, there is no stopping. I am SO glad that I bought the 4 channel amp to begin with, even though I "just wanted a little upgrade to my fairing speakers". Ha!

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I can speak from experience. Stay away from J&M.
I have this J&M Rokker XXR 330 unit and it is fantastic.

Don't know what went wrong with yours but the folks over at J&M are great to deal with.

Everyone will have their own opinion, but I can tell you the J&M Rokker XXR 330 unit works and sounds great on my sled.

Good clean sound at 70+ mph all day long.

Swomack

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Kappas I have are 2ohm and when looking at the bt2180 i see where they plug in then there is a place for a set of 4ohm. So cant I power the 2 fairing speakers using the designated spot then run 2 4ohm in the parellel connection for lowers ? Or do I need to run 4 4ohm speakers?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No problem with J&M here, Rokker series with 500 watt amp, 6 speakers. Has been in the bike for 6 years now. I am at the point on what to do for a new head unit and get rid of the stock HK on my 2011 Ultra if anybody has suggestions!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning toward Biketronics BT2180 and a set of Hertz ECX 165.5. BT kit with our discount is about $460 shipped and I can get the speakers for $123. Any input on this ?

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
The Kappas I have are 2ohm and when looking at the bt2180 i see where they plug in then there is a place for a set of 4ohm. So cant I power the 2 fairing speakers using the designated spot then run 2 4ohm in the parellel connection for lowers ? Or do I need to run 4 4ohm speakers?
I think that amp is for 4 ohm speakers only, capable of handling 100 watts/ channel , on 2 channels. If you plan to run four, 4 ohm speakers ,you run them in parallel on 2 channels achieving 2 ohm which the amp is capable of.
From my understanding of the literature. :) I'd call bt to be sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that amp is for 4 ohm speakers only, capable of handling 100 watts/ channel , on 2 channels. If you plan to run four, 4 ohm speakers ,you run them in parallel on 2 channels achieving 2 ohm which the amp is capable of.
From my understanding of the literature. :) I'd call bt to be sure.
Yup, I read that right after I posted. I was thinking BT2180 and a set of Hertz ECX 165.5 speakers

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've run both JM and Biketronics and am currently running hertz speakers so I'll jump in. Not even a contest, Biketronics in a heartbeat.

The JM didn't stay on my bike for 2 months before I yanked it and will never have one of their components in my bike again. Extremely bright to the point of shrill and my ears hated them. IMO they are better than Boom Stage 1 but not even as good sounding as Boom stage 2. Some guys will flat out tell you they are crap, I won't say that but they are way way way overpriced. They get louder than Boom stage 2 but boom actually sounds better to me at 50 mph. IMO a set of kappas and a CV amp is the bare minimum setup that I would call an audio upgrade. That setup is just as good as JM at speed and at a fraction of the cost. Case closed.

Can't go wrong with Biketronics. Awesome service, great product, unbeatable warranty, and support before, during and after sale. Their amps are absolutely 2 ohm and 4 ohm stable. The only knock on biketronics stuff is they aren't adjustable for crossover freq and gains (the new 4250 does have gain controls, but no crossover). If you're a control freak and want to tweak to a gnat's butt than BT is not for you. If you're ok with hook it up and forget than go for it. To me their speakers are a bit bright, not obnoxious bright, but bright. The amps flat out perform - gobs of pure clean power and that's what you want on a bike.

I love the sound of Hertz speakers but a lot of guys shy away because of cost. You can get similar (not as good IMO, but close) quality for less money, but I love the sound so don't mind paying extra. I'm currently running ml 1650.3 with mp 25.3 tweets which is pretty much Hertz' top of the line for bike applications. I'm not a fan of the ECX, but do like the mille 165.3 coax. They get louder than arc audio moto 602s but the 602s have better mids. In my opinion components are worth the extra cost compared to coax, but not everyone wants to go that route. If I was choosing would definitely take the mille 165.3 over the ecx or hcx in a coax.

People can knock hertz all they want for the cost, but I can feel my system hitting me in the chest at 75 mph. Two guys in our group have boom Stage 2 and one had JM speaks with a soundstream amp but switched to arc moto 602s. The running joke is they don't bother turning their stereos on if they're behind me because they're stuck listening to whatever I'm listening to.

The last advice I'll give is go big now and be done with it, it will save you a ton of money in the long run. It's been fun trying different systems and I'm pretty proficient at installs now, but it sure ain't been cheap and I learned the hard way it's easy to get bored with entry level or sub par stuff.

Edit for clarification: On the 2180 it is 2 ohm or 4 ohm stable if you're only running 2 speakers. If you run 4 speakers on the 2180 they all must be 4 ohm. On their 4 channel amps you can run 4 speakers that are 2 ohm no problem as long as they are each on their own channel. If you decide to run 6 or 8 speakers everything in parallel must all be 4 ohm.

Reactions: Live2Ride

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I had the Rocker series on my 12 just average over priced components IMO... I had to argue with them several times to get amp replaced because the fan wouldn't shut off.. They pretty much called me a liar and said that was impossible when I finally sent it in they replaced it but no apologies so screw J&M... Going with BT and Hertz this go around....

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have not heard much good about the J&M stuff but to be fair I have never actually HEARD it. Supposedly there is a lot better equipment out there for the money. Case in point, Biketronics or Arc Audio (if we are talking amps).

I have the BT4180.14 and love the simplicity of the system (no gains) and the warranty/customer service. You are not going to find a better warranty and resource for questions than Mike and Donna. If money were no object or I could start all over, I'd get the new BT4250 (so new it's not on their website yet). It is a 4 channel version of the 2250 and has some gain control adjustment. Spendy (I think it's $800-900) but, buy once cry once.

When you start getting the audio bug, there is no stopping. I am SO glad that I bought the 4 channel amp to begin with, even though I "just wanted a little upgrade to my fairing speakers". Ha!
I'm really 99% on the 4180.14. Picked up my bike yesterday and ya, I can't hear my shit at speed barely. I will eventually get speakers in my lowers. So I'm going to get to 4 channel now. Expand later. I like the all plug and play.

And reading about how shrill the other amp is. Fuck that. I've been a bass player most of my life. I know it's a bike. I'm not chasing a unicorn for deep. But tinny high shrill? Nope.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Information overload! I swear nothing is simple, lol. So Biketronics looks like the way to go. Question now is 180w or 250w? What speakers under $300?

·
Registered
172 Posts
WHOA, really? DO you mind expanding? Our buddy the law abiding biker recommended the J & M system, not arguing or defending, just explaining why I'm asking.
Put an $800 J&M in my SG. Didn't sound good for me at all. I ended up putting an RF amp and Kappa speakers and was pleased with that much less expensive system.

Another guy and I bought the same kit (when I was frequenting the SG list). After some issues (I don't remember what they were) he finally did get his sounding to his liking. I never got past my issues.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Going to pull the trigger on a audio upgrade but I can't decide which to go with, Biketronics BT2180.14 / BT2250.14 or J&M JAMP-330HR15.
With those choices, Biketronics. Actually there is no choice, Biketronics.
Guy I ride with all the time has the other, not impressed at all with it.
Go to the other forum in the audio section and read some of the experiences with the other stuff.
Your money your choice

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have the BT4250 on order, it will be here next week. Pick your amp then get speakers that compliment it. Donna at Biketronics gave me a wealth of information to help me decide.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts