Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what shield to buy for my 2012 fltrx. I have a 8" cheapo version on my ultra with stock bars. I like the size because I can see way over the shield, but all the bug splats are just above my helmet visor.
I have been looking at different shields, ( klockwerks; I think the 12" has too much of an angle, and the 8" might be too short with my 14" Buky Malo's)
( Windvest: feedback suggests decent but not fantastic)
(Long Ride shields: less expensive, many sizes to choose from)
(Madstad; NOPE don't like the look, too much hardware showing)

If Klock werks had a 10" shield it might help with my decision.

Fell free to give all your input, and thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Can't help since I would have recommended Madstad. I went through 4 shields until I settled on it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had a 12" windvest and it worked good for me. I ride an ultra so I have lowers. It was terrible for my passenger. Went to the madstad and it works great for both of us. Easy to adjust. I struggled with the look for a bit at first but I actually like it now. It definitely works though and that is what matters most.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm 6'0" and run a 14" LRS with lowers. I look over it and have 0 buffeting.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've ran a 12" in LRS , Windvest and Freedom Shields , I'm 5'10' with a 28' inseam and have a Mustang seat that sits me lower and back . The LRS worked ok but cracked and did not hold up , Windvest gave me good wind protection but didn't keep bugs off me , the Freedom gives good wind and bug protection. All 3 of these shields look similar but function a little different.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Apples and oranges

3 catagories of windshields. The flip which includes Clearview, Windvest, Freedom, LRS. Get more with the first 3 such as backing where the windshield rubs against the fairing rubber things. Wellnuts with the Clearview, maybe Freedom too.
Second category some guy, I know who, his windtunnel tests showed the front wheel raised at higher speeds. So he added hips to his windshield to provide down pressure. Don't buy the hype we're not aiming for land speed records. Mostly looks but people like them. Klock Werks and Cee Bailey make them. If this is your route Cee Bailey can cut it to the length you want if it's not listed.
Finally the Madstad and Laminar lip. These are function over form. Instead of punching through the wind, which causes turbulance. They redirect it over the rider.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Also don't forget the paddle deflectors and of course sanchos wings , they help greatly, cant say I disagree with you about the madstad, I am sure it works but its hideous and overpriced.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Also don't forget the paddle deflectors and of course sanchos wings , they help greatly, cant say I disagree with you about the madstad, I am sure it works but its hideous and overpriced.
Oh puh-lease! Overpriced? You bought a HARLEY! Buy wings, lowers, paddles, and multiple windscreens and then compare the cost. Hideous? I bet there are but a handful of Road Glide riders who didn't like the appearance when they first saw it. Most were smitten by the superior riding experience and then decided function trumped form AND the opinion of others.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
As others have testified, I too purchased 3 different shields before getting the Madstad. May be ugly at first but so was my RG:D Now, I would not have one without the other.

Keep us posted after you made your purchase.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Hands down, M-A-D-S-T-A-D!
Great product and great Customer Service.
I couldn't believe how well it worked until I put it on and went for a ride.
Went through three other shields and now I'm very happy.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I never claimed it wasn't functional, and if you read the original post he stated he did not want a madstad, so why try to change a persons personal preference, I respect each persons likes and dislikes, and as for the comment of buying a roadglide, I always liked the way they looked ,don't be angry cause the shield is not this indivduals taste, same guys always try to ram that ugly shield down everyones throat, give it a break, geez.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ooops I think I really started something.

However, I am still taking in all information. So keep it coming.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm 5'10 and love my 8" KW. Might not be breaking land speed records but it looks great and has no issues over 100mph. Buy what you like, and sell back on here what you don't. I got lucky and am happy with my first purchase.

DJ Terry Moran

·
Registered
86 Posts
Time & Money

Save yourself some money i.e. collecting windshields. Get yourself a Madstad, you'll get over the look in a hurry. I actually think the 2015 Madstad looks pretty mean. Gee, guys are looking a the Indian, it has an adjustable windshield. My point, Madsad allows you to adjust the hight and degree of angle. Ride with one and then you'll know.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I ride a 15" Cee Bailey TSSC Dome. Works great for me. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I look right over the top. Cee Bailey also has a nice windshield measurement estimator on their website. I love mine. Great form, great function. And as someone already mentioned, they will cut it for you free of charge. Get what you like. You're the one that has to deal with the wind, bugs, and looks.

Funny how many "function over form" comments are on this thread. HD's function doesn't compare to most of the metrics or even the victories or Indians. Ijs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
With 6 different shades of the Madstad, how do you choose which one?? I'm 6'3" so I'd probably go with the 14.5" but man, that's a lot of different shades to choose from.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just ordered the 13 Madstad with light tint. I like the looks of the dark tint but would rather be able to see thru at night. Check out the show your madstad thread and you can see some pics the members here put up looking thru the shield.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts