Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Flame suit is on an checked...... Cause I know there are some folks who 1. HATE apes... especially on the shark nose. And 2. There are some folk who HATE Carlini Bars.....

Anyway.

I decided on some Carlini Flying apes.

PYO monkey bars look SOOOOO GOOD on RG's. However, unlike a monkey, I have SHORT arms. So Monkey Bars were out. I had myself measured sitting on the bike and I knew I needed AT LEAST 12" pull back. I knew I needed 12"-14" height. These parameters left me with Wild One 502's, Carlini Standard apes, Carlini Flying apes , or custom fabrication.

To MY personal eye, the strait up and down bars did not follow the lines of the shark nose fairing (this is my OPINION!!! Don't flame me if you are a Carlini 'hater', or have a preference for the other styles of bars!!). So WO 502's and Carlini Standard Apes were out.

This left Carlini Flying and custom fab. I was hesitant about Carlini Flying apes because I had never seen an RG with them on (other than the web site). However I happened apon a couple RG's with custom fabb'ed bars that had the similar 'bowed' curves to the Calrlini flying. Although 'grandiose' in proportion, those custom 'bowed' back bars looked at home with the shark nose... Once I saw in my head the lines I wanted, I was too impatient to get some custom fabb'ed bars so I diceded to take a chance.

WOW!!! I'm I glad a listened to my gut!

I decided on Avon Grips because I heard too much positive hype, and as the Brits say; " they are the t!ts!!!

-Yes! Carlini's are steeped in controversy and negative hype, mainly because they ARE EXPENSIVE AS H3LL!!! Yes [email protected]; more expensive than they need to be! Yes, I could have had some made for less, and all that other hater'ation people gripe about.....But I am THAT R.U.B y'all love to hate, so eat your heart out if you don't like it! :D
- yes! I switched out all the lines, brake and clutch cables. One of you wrench monkeys out there might figure how to do it without changing every dang thang, but I ain't the one to cut corners. Plus the upgrades steel braded lines covered in black urethane, and low friction clutch cable perform WAY better than stock.
-Yes! That is a 16" CB Dome shield, and NO the bars DON'T slam against the fairing!!!
-Carlini claim that the flying apes at AT LEAST 1" taller than stated... These puppies are INDEED taller than 12" and prolly more like 13.5!!

These bars are incredible for the look, the bend, and the grips feel great. Wish I could have decided on bars way earlier, but you can't rush perfection. These put my hands in the PERFECT position for MY taste and 5' 11' frame; 32" inseam; 34-35" shirt sleeves.

More pics in BETER light and different angles, and review comments to follow... Sorry about the low light iPhone pics, my main camera is busted...

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice indeed...i don't think you will get too much flaming on this one cuz most of us have apes anyways....and talk about expensive bars.....Yaffe is pretty proud of his too and I bit the bullet on them so to each their own.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Last time I checked!

I wasn't the one paying for your custom mods or driving your ride. Personally, I am not big on apes, but I have never ridden a bike with them. That being said, for what it is worth, your bike looks great. Are you enjoying it? Yes you are, so screw all those Carlini haters! :)
If someone wants to step up and pay for mine for me, I will let them put what they want on it and I will ride it. :) Not that others can't chime in and say they don't like your set-up. Ell, I don't like anything Neano, Chainsaw, Baggerdriver, Admin, GroupW, or any of those other "secret society" dudes does !!!! Let's see, did I miss anybody? Oh, wait a minute, I have to leave Neano out of that group, he lives too close! :) Don't panic, I am just kidding! That is what makes our site so great; we all have opinions and no one gets offended by them.
Heck, even the picture you are apologizing for looks good to me.

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your info with us.

David

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice indeed...i don't think you will get too much flaming on this one cuz most of us have apes anyways....and talk about expensive bars.....Yaffe is pretty proud of his too and I bit the bullet on them so to each their own.
Thanx!

I wasn't the one paying for your custom mods or driving your ride. Personally, I am not big on apes, but I have never ridden a bike with them. That being said, for what it is worth, your bike looks great. Are you enjoying it? Yes you are, so screw all those Carlini haters! :)
If someone wants to step up and pay for mine for me, I will let them put what they want on it and I will ride it. :) Not that others can't chime in and say they don't like your set-up. Ell, I don't like anything Neano, Chainsaw, Baggerdriver, Admin, GroupW, or any of those other "secret society" dudes does !!!! Let's see, did I miss anybody? Oh, wait a minute, I have to leave Neano out of that group, he lives too close! :) Don't panic, I am just kidding! That is what makes our site so great; we all have opinions and no one gets offended by them.
Heck, even the picture you are apologizing for looks good to me.

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your info with us.

David
I know, I know David. Just answering the predictable comments from the peanut gallery in advance... and using a bit of sarcasm to have a little fun with it!! LOL!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So peeps can get an idea...

This nice young technician of the same height and build as me was gracious enough to model the attitude adjustment of just were the body drapes over the new fit. Prolly too low for most ape fanatics, but I don't like for my hands to be above my shoulders, and neither does Po Po!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hell, it looks good....and YOU like it. That's all that matters, man! ROCK ON!!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
DUDE!! You did a whole lot of apoligizin for puttin some nice lookin bars on your ride. No need my friend, you have a great lookin bike. Your happy--we're happy for ya.
I think they look awesome. It looks to me like you have thrown your cash into all the right places.
Now, I have to ask about the shield... Which size is the CB? I was lookin on their site AGAIN today, but using their pics it's REALLY hard to tell how much rise from the gage cluster to the top of the shield.
Not tryin to high jack your thread, feel free to PM if ya like. Just curious.
Nice ride CC, thanks for sharing the info.

Rowdy :cool:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Looks good man, and apes are the only kind of bars that need to go on a sharknose!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
DUDE!! You did a whole lot of apoligizin for puttin some nice lookin bars on your ride. No need my friend, you have a great lookin bike. Your happy--we're happy for ya.
I think they look awesome. It looks to me like you have thrown your cash into all the right places.
Now, I have to ask about the shield... Which size is the CB? I was lookin on their site AGAIN today, but using their pics it's REALLY hard to tell how much rise from the gage cluster to the top of the shield.
Not tryin to high jack your thread, feel free to PM if ya like. Just curious.
Nice ride CC, thanks for sharing the info.

Rowdy :cool:
Thank you Rowdy.

Yes. windshield info is KEY for shark nose enthusiasts so no worries on high jacking.

This is a Cee Baileys TR Super Step Contour "Dome" windshield (aka CB 16" Dome) in 16" size with light tint. This shield offers GREAT protection for my size. I used the sizing guidelines on their web site. I slouch a little and i'm leggy so I could have gotten away with a 15" or maybe a 14". I'm part way looking through the shield but the optics (they make canopys for aircraft so the optics better be good) are SOOOO good that looking through the shield is NOT a problem; even at night. I replaced a KW12' with this shield. I had that KW 12' on for two riding seasons. The protection from this CB shield is WAAAAAAY better than the KW 12' inch but has similar good looks. So much better in fact that with this CB 16", I find myself going 20mph on the freeway than I used to with the KW 12. [yes that's 20mph faster on the freeway (when using the S.O.P. speedometer) ...and yes I catch myself wondering why the cagers are moving so [email protected] slow, till I look down at the real speedo:eek:!] ". It's THAT good!:D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
CCRydah the self proclaimed R.U.B. hey those bars look like they were made for that ride of yours. That thing is showing some attitude AND style....well done man!!! I gues i'd be more of a B.U.B. (broke urban biker):cool:
cheers!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wasn't a big ape fan until I had some shoulder problems. Now the shoulder is much more comfortable. I've always liked the look of the flying apes and the gangster apes. Good choice!!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More angles:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hell, I like the way they look!! And I can't blame you for changing out the cables either. When I do my bars (in the near future), I'm changing out all of mine too. My thought is kinda like yours, better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts