Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping some of you out there may have personal experience with both Carlini and Burly brand apes.

I had a set of 16" Burly Gorillas on my old '13 Road King, but I have a set of 16" Carlini Gangsters on order for the new '15 RGS.

I am looking for comfort comparisons. I was comfortable with the Burlys and ran them for two years. Unfortunately, Burly Gorillas do not fit the new RGS which is when I decided to give the Carlinis a try. The set of Carlini bars I want and ordered have been on back order since I ordered them on April 23rd - Gangster Apes 1.25" 16" Stepped Chrome Throttle by Wire.

I am getting a little impatient and am contemplating going with Carlini Original Apes instead of the Gangster Apes. This thread may be a waste of time, as I do have access to a set of 16" Carlini Gangsters exactly like I want except in black rather than chrome. So, I do have the ability to mock up the Gangsters to see if I do indeed want to continue to await the release of the back order or change my plans.

The measurements for all three are as follows and all three are 1.25" diameter bars as I do not want to go to the 1.5" diameter bars:

16" Carlini Gangsters
38.5" total width
11.5" center width
7" pullback

16" Carlini Originals
38.5" total width
11.5" center width
8" pullback

16" Burly Gorillas
38.75" total width
14" center width
10" pullback

I am 6'1" and the Burly bars brought my hands right at or just below my shoulders, which is where I am expecting the Carlini bars to place my hands as well. I am on a '15 RGS with a Hammock seat. I actually expect the Carlini bars to be a little more comfortable given the lesser degree of pullback.

While I continue to patiently await the release of the back order or my decision to go with a different variant, I figured I would ask for conversation, experience, opinions, and hopefully words of wisdom from fellow RG lovers here on the forum.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Patience my brother, patience. :cool: Did they give you any time frame on when they might have them ready? I definitely like the 7" of pullback on my Pist apes a whole lot better than the 12.5" on my Dyna. You won't be disappointed with the Carlinis, just hang in there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patience my brother, patience. :cool: Did they give you any time frame on when they might have them ready? I definitely like the 7" of pullback on my Pist apes a whole lot better than the 12.5" on my Dyna. You won't be disappointed with the Carlinis, just hang in there.
Thank you! I surely am trying my best.

I last spoke to them about two weeks ago and their words were that the back order should be released on the Gangsters "literally any day now".

It's just frustrating that the back order statuses have been lifted from basically everything EXCEPT the bars that I need.

If I do make a change, it will be to the Carlini Original Apes. At least there is only a one inch difference on the pullback between the Gangsters and the Originals.

I am still doing my best to hold out for the Gangsters, though. I think I am going to try to take a ride over to where I can mock up the 16" Gangsters with that black set just to make sure that 16" will be spot on and that I do not need to consider going up to 18". I do not want to be presumptuous in thinking that the 18" bars will work just so I can get them here more quickly.

Thanks again for the reassurance. I shall continue to do my best in remaining calm. lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree with Nsbohall, be patient. I had good experience with Carlini and love my bars. Wouldn't switch anything. I almost went with a different bar because carlini listed the Menace Apes as "professional install only". Not the same as a back order, but moral being to wait and get what you want.

Also, i'm 6'3" and did the 16". I think 18" would be crazy tall on a RG.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Nsbohall, be patient. I had good experience with Carlini and love my bars. Wouldn't switch anything. I almost went with a different bar because carlini listed the Menace Apes as "professional install only". Not the same as a back order, but moral being to wait and get what you want.

Also, i'm 6'3" and did the 16". I think 18" would be crazy tall on a RG.
Thank you as well for the reassurance.

One of the reasons I have been getting a little impatient was that my bride and I, along with another friend and his fiance, were planning an Iron Butt ride toward the end of the month. I know - without a doubt - that there is no way I can do 1,000 miles in 24-hours in hopes of any level of comfort with the factory bars, even if I pulled the pin and rotated them forward a bit.

I have no quarrels or negative things to say about Carlini and I surely hope my thread didn't come across that way, as that was definitely not the intention. My frustration has nothing to do with their business practice or quality. I am confident that I will be thrilled with the bars once I finally get them.

I have a few errands to run this morning that will keep me up past their opening time, so I think I will give them a call again. Hoping and praying that there will be good news coming from the other end of the phone. (I'm a night owl and I am usually home from work and asleep or in bed by the time they open since they are two hours behind me.)

Thanks again to you both for the reassurance in my need to remain patient.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to both of you guys - nsbohall and Halstem1 - for your reassurance on my level of patience.

I got a call today that my bars, the 16" Carlini Gangsters, should be here within a two weeks. I am all sorts of ready!

Today was a good day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.