Road Glide banner

CarPlay issue

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  craigffb 
#1 ·
This started on the last update, but it seems to happen more often with update MY21.20.22.00 (the one released on the 26th)

I always plug my phone in prior to starting the bike and I have always been able to open CarPlay without out issue. Now the CarPlay icon comes up and on the main 3 icon screen and I can toggle over to it and select it, but it wont open. I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in and then CarPlay opens.

I called this morning and reported the issue...I have a reference # and the cat I talked to said he would get back to me on the issue.

I haven't tried starting the bike then plugging in the phone yet, but I'll try that on the way home and see if it makes a difference.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

#2 ·
I was at the dealer yesterday and asked them "when are you guys going to hook up my Car Play" as I was in a hurry when I took delivery fo the bike.....was told HD killed the whole licensing agreement with Apple for Car Play outside of it working on HD Approved Headsets - That tells me Apple had in lace a discount on the licensing to HD in exchange for a piece of every headset sold - I may be wrong but connecting the dots here leads me to that notion

#6 ·
This doesn't feel right, it's the WHIMS module that limits how and what headsets the bike can communicate with. I don't think there is a license to use CarPlay, it's just some hardware that need to be in the radio for it to work. Every other vehicle I have CarPlay on works with very few issues, I'm pretty sure any issues here are from HD themselves. That being said, I haven't really had any issues with CarPlay on my bike, other than if for some reason I wanted to listen through my helmet it would be shitty mono sound. This also means I can't use it to make calls, texts, or use SIRI for navigation. I'm fine with that though.

#4 ·
This started on the last update, but it seems to happen more often with update MY21.20.22.00 (the one released on the 26th)

I always plug my phone in prior to starting the bike and I have always been able to open CarPlay without out issue. Now the CarPlay icon comes up and on the main 3 icon screen and I can toggle over to it and select it, but it wont open. I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in and then CarPlay opens.

I called this morning and reported the issue...I have a reference # and the cat I talked to said he would get back to me on the issue.

I haven't tried starting the bike then plugging in the phone yet, but I'll try that on the way home and see if it makes a difference.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
I have always had to start/turn it on than plug in my Iphone before it would work. I have not downloaded the new version yet.

#7 ·
i have a 2019. my wife has a 2019. we both had the bikes flashed for the whim, without having the whim, and the mics disabled. you know, the whole CarPlay hack thing. few months later, we both get whims and hd sena 30k headsets. i plug my phone in, and get CarPlay. my wife has to have her sena turned on in order to have the CarPlay work. both of our bikes were flashed at the same time, both times, and presumably were flashed identically. though we weren't able to be in the back while they did this so i cannot verify. just weird how they don't respond the same. i understand that hers is the way that it is 'supposed' to act (headset turned on first), but i wouldn't mind if it didn't. at least i can listen to CarPlay through the bike's speakers when i travel local and don't have the headset with me.

Reactions: Zedbra
#8 ·
I use to plug my phone in first but since the last update I did it won't work unless I plug the phone in after the radio is up and running. I can not get it to work without the Sena 30K on. If I ride without a helmet I just take the 30K unit off the helmet and turn it on. I put it in the trunk and carplay works fine. Did I read that there was another update on 06/26?

#9 ·
I plugged my phone in after I started my bike today on the way home from work and CarPlay came right up. I stopped to fill the bike up on the way home and left the phone plugged in. When I started the bike to leave CarPlay came right up so I’m not sure what the deal is. And yes there is a new update. Released on the 26th.

#10 ·
Well I can share this with you guys that supposedly the contract between Sena and HD was supposedly over and they were negotiating hence the new 50k Sena unit isnt out with the HD logo yet. Pactalk maybe in the running with the better audio. This may screw some of us over with having the older 30k units and older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.