Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Gliders,
While searching YouTube Videos for content not specifically related to our Bikes, I ran across a video titled "Why you should NOT travel with cash." It can be found on YouTube by searching; Lehto Law Ep. 2.52. The video is posted by a lawyer and he covers a little known law called, "Civil Seizure." I will not go into any detail here because if your interested you can search for it.
A short explanation is that police can stop you for any reason whether an actual violation of motor vehicle law or a BS made up reason to pull you over. If you have any substantial amount of cash on you this Civil Seizure law allows them to seize you cash. You then have to sue to get your money back, which means lawyers and if your successful getting your money back you still loose the cost of the lawyer, paid out of your cash.
I wanted to post this since many of us may have had substantial cash with us if you may have gone to look at a used bike or even a new bike that you were thinking of buying with cash because that is what the seller wants. Of course, the common sense thing to do is to use other forms of payment that you have a record of the transaction.
This law was exposed in the a Washington Post article about a year or two ago but I don't read that paper as I assume many of us don't. The video is much more detailed, so if interested check it out.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Who carries a "substantial amount of cash" anymore? A large amount of cash when traveling is unnecessary and a little reckless. Debit and credit cards are accepted almost everywhere so why risk losing cash or getting it stolen? I haven't read the actual law (and laws are different in every State) but without some suspicion or unless your riding with wads of hundred dollar bills on your dashboard, how is law enforcement going to find out about this substantial cash?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Ya, some less than well-financed police departments have been using civil forfeiture to pad their budgets. And they are badly bending the law to do it. There has to be an underlying suspicion or "reasonable cause" of a crime before they can seize the money. Just having the money in your pocket is not probable cause. And any money they keep has to been inline with the penalty of the crime you are charged with. SCOTUS ruled last fall in the Timb's case that such seizures are limited by the 8th and 14th amendments.

If your cash gets taken, demand a signed receipt. And demand a written explanation of the charge. Just having the cash in a town with a drug problem does not justify them taking your money.

When ever I go to make a cash purchase on a scooter, I take a witness aka back up, and a printed page from where it was advertised. Seriously, some of the sellers worry me more than the PoPo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cash is easily available at 200,000 atm machines all over the country. Why carry much cash? I travel long distance and rarely have more than $100 on me. Doesn't make sense to carry big cash anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Here in Florida a few years ago a car dealer had over $30k in cash intending to use it at an auction, he was pulled over and went through the headache of getting his money back. I very seldom carry more than $100, that’s substantial to me if I loose it, lol.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ya, some less than well-financed police departments have been using civil forfeiture to pad their budgets. And they are badly bending the law to do it. There has to be an underlying suspicion or "reasonable cause" of a crime before they can seize the money. Just having the money in your pocket is not probable cause. And any money they keep has to been inline with the penalty of the crime you are charged with. SCOTUS ruled last fall in the Timb's case that such seizures are limited by the 8th and 14th amendments.

If your cash gets taken, demand a signed receipt. And demand a written explanation of the charge. Just having the cash in a town with a drug problem does not justify them taking your money.

When ever I go to make a cash purchase on a scooter, I take a witness aka back up, and a printed page from where it was advertised. Seriously, some of the sellers worry me more than the PoPo
There's been a lot written about asset forfeiture in the last few years. It's a lousy policy that many small-town police departments have been using to stay in the black. Typically not a fan of the ACLU, but this is a pretty good summary:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If I have cash, it's $100 or less...mostly just plastic.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I sold a truck a few years back for 30 thousand and told the buyer had to be cash. (He seemed shady) He wouldn’t carry that much cash so we went to his bank to cash a check and do the transaction there. His bank said they did not have that much cash there. WTF
His bank offered to cash his check and issue me one of their checks that he couldn’t stop payment on.
I don’t think the government wants you to have cash because they track you with debit and credit cards. They can also shut you down if they want to and I’ll bet they’re gonna now start monitoring this forum now.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's that old I smell Marijuana trick that allows them to go on a treasure hunt, If the first words you say to a cop are

( I don't answer questions ) you'll be surprised how quick and easy that contact ends.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have carried as much as $6000 cash when making a purchase, or carrying to the bank after making a sale. I don't give the cops a reason to pull me over and have never had an issue. I do a lot of Craigslist purchasing and lately have done the PayPal transfer of money from my phone while standing in front of the merchandise I was purchasing. If you do the friends and family transfer of money you can't recall the transaction which protects the seller, so I would only do that once you have the item in hand so there is a mutual trust or lack of trust. When out of town and in need of some cash I have PayPal'd to a co-worker who then takes the money out of his bank account and brings it to me. That way no ATM fees.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Fellow Gliders,
While searching YouTube Videos for content not specifically related to our Bikes, I ran across a video titled "Why you should NOT travel with cash." It can be found on YouTube by searching; Lehto Law Ep. 2.52. The video is posted by a lawyer and he covers a little known law called, "Civil Seizure." I will not go into any detail here because if your interested you can search for it.
A short explanation is that police can stop you for any reason whether an actual violation of motor vehicle law or a BS made up reason to pull you over. If you have any substantial amount of cash on you this Civil Seizure law allows them to seize you cash. You then have to sue to get your money back, which means lawyers and if your successful getting your money back you still loose the cost of the lawyer, paid out of your cash.
I wanted to post this since many of us may have had substantial cash with us if you may have gone to look at a used bike or even a new bike that you were thinking of buying with cash because that is what the seller wants. Of course, the common sense thing to do is to use other forms of payment that you have a record of the transaction.
This law was exposed in the a Washington Post article about a year or two ago but I don't read that paper as I assume many of us don't. The video is much more detailed, so if interested check it out.
I've been reading about this for probably the last 20 years or so. There was an article about seizing the vehicle as well as the cash for a "suspected substance" in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's that old I smell Marijuana trick that allows them to go on a treasure hunt, If the first words you say to a cop are

( I don't answer questions ) you'll be surprised how quick and easy that contact ends.
I'm assuming you never get a warning if that is the first thing you say when you get stopped. LOL

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I sold a truck a few years back for 30 thousand and told the buyer had to be cash. (He seemed shady) He wouldn’t carry that much cash so we went to his bank to cash a check and do the transaction there. His bank said they did not have that much cash there. WTF
His bank offered to cash his check and issue me one of their checks that he couldn’t stop payment on.
I don’t think the government wants you to have cash because they track you with debit and credit cards. They can also shut you down if they want to and I’ll bet they’re gonna now start monitoring this forum now.
I pulled 15 k out of the bank for a bike purchase back in the 90's. I had to visit 4 banks to score 15 k of my cash.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In today's world you have to "order" cash from your bank, something like over $5,000 a day or two ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Not to worried about traveling with cash. Now if you have a bag of dope ,scale and small bags there maybe an issue. As for larger withdrals from a bank yea they are required to report larger cash deposits and with drawls. If you plan to with draw $5,000 in cash you can bet you need to let them know ahead of time to avoid issues.
Fun stuff, back many years ago I was headed out on a road trip. I had just a few months before gave my wife a hard time about $100's and $50's Many gas station and place would not take them. Back then some would not take credit cards either. So she went out of her way to bring me a lot of brand new $5 dollar bills. I took it knowing I had over played my point. Checking into a motel in Iowa. Paying with those bills. Yep clerk called local LE. It all worked out well good laugh and coffee.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I've got a Capital One branch near home that's a "cashless" bank. Seriously, you can't do any transaction there that involves any cash.
NWR wants a cashless world.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts