Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Going to finish my Rokkers/Amp install tomorrow. Thinking of just pulling out the CB/harness and selling it. Never have, nor will I ever use the CB. I'm at work so don't have access to the bike. But can the harness be easily removed, or will wired have to be cut by the head unit? I don't want to cut or splice anything. If it comes to that, I will just leave it in and never use it. Just want to clean up all this wiring.

Thanks....

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I pulled all of that stuff off of my '12 Ultra this winter. Really does help clean up the wiring if you're not using it, and it actually made the fairing easier to install, too.

So, I've got all that stuff if there's an interest. I have the wiring harness; the passenger switches and headset plug; the CB module itself; the Ultra dash console with CB port and cable; the CB antenna and TP mount. I even got two helmet headsets I'd be willing to part with.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I don't think there's any difference between the 12 and 13. I'm running an aftermarket head unit, so it was obvious what I could remove. It's been a few months since I did it, but I believe the CB/intercom connections are all in the left ('driver's side') plug on the back of the HK radio. So with my head unit, of course, that was no longer plugged in. From there I just traced it out all the way through the tunnel, etc and removed it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I pulled all of that stuff off of my '12 Ultra this winter. Really does help clean up the wiring if you're not using it, and it actually made the fairing easier to install, too.

So, I've got all that stuff if there's an interest. I have the wiring harness; the passenger switches and headset plug; the CB module itself; the Ultra dash console with CB port and cable; the CB antenna and TP mount. I even got two helmet headsets I'd be willing to part with.
Just sent you a PM

Jay

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think there's any difference between the 12 and 13. I'm running an aftermarket head unit, so it was obvious what I could remove. It's been a few months since I did it, but I believe the CB/intercom connections are all in the left ('driver's side') plug on the back of the HK radio. So with my head unit, of course, that was no longer plugged in. From there I just traced it out all the way through the tunnel, etc and removed it.
Ok. That makes sense now. Didn't realize that big connector was just for the cb as well. Guess the next thing I need to figure out is how to wire my trunk pod speakers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Ok. That makes sense now. Didn't realize that big connector was just for the cb as well. Guess the next thing I need to figure out is how to wire my trunk pod speakers.

That, I can help you with as well. I see from your signature you're running the J&M 500w amp? Me too.

So, you have the J&M supplied harness running back there already. It's got 4 wires running to each TP speaker pod. IRC, two of them plug into the HD speaker harness to maintain all the stock rear passenger switches, etc and the other two plug into the speakers themselves.

I simply removed the passenger switches altogether and use only the two wires going to each speaker. That greatly simplified my Quick Detach wiring as well.

Note that if you want to retain the passenger switch functionality, you'll have to leave that whole harness intact.

Hope that helps. -Jay

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
One more thing, just to be clear, you'll loose all your intercom functionality if you do this too. Don't know if that's an issue for you or not.

Honestly, if I was retaining the stock HK head unit, I don't think I'd pull all that stuff out. I'm not sure how having all of that disconnected would effect the stock radio. It may not be a problem at all, I just don't know.

With my aftermarket head unit it was all disconnected anyway, so for me it was a no brainer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing, just to be clear, you'll loose all your intercom functionality if you do this too. Don't know if that's an issue for you or not.

Honestly, if I was retaining the stock HK head unit, I don't think I'd pull all that stuff out. I'm not sure how having all of that disconnected would effect the stock radio. It may not be a problem at all, I just don't know.

With my aftermarket head unit it was all disconnected anyway, so for me it was a no brainer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Ya.... Kinda debating now. But thanks for the info. I'll decide by tonight. :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Is there something different between the 12 and 13??? Just got home and the harness is part of the stereo harness to? Unless I'm missing something might as well just keep it in.
I assume you have an Ultra Road Glide?? (Or is it a CVO?)

The CB plug into the Ultra harness. The rear speakers and controls are part of the Ultra harness, that plugs into the Main harness. If you take the CB wiring out, you will also remove all accessories. The only thing that is left is the radio, rider controls (which are in the main harness), and fairing speakers.

You can just remove the CB module, but you will still lose the Intercom (Harley uses the CB to power the intercom), but keep the rear speakers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I assume you have an Ultra Road Glide?? (Or is it a CVO?)

The CB plug into the Ultra harness. The rear speakers and controls are part of the Ultra harness, that plugs into the Main harness. If you take the CB wiring out, you will also remove all accessories. The only thing that is left is the radio, rider controls (which are in the main harness), and fairing speakers.

You can just remove the CB module, but you will still lose the Intercom (Harley uses the CB to power the intercom), but keep the rear speakers.
Ya its the ultra. I was hoping it was a singular harness, but as you indicated its not. Just going to leave it all in and start playing with my new toy I guess. Now if my Dragos pipes would just get here I'll be set for the summer.... Maybe... Lol

·
Registered
826 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Anyone wanting to sell the cb and intercom kit, hit me up. I would like add one to my 2012 FLTRX.
I do have the CB Module; the harness; passenger switches, Dash console with headset connector port and cable; and the antenna; and the 'SPKR' switch from the nacelle. All of this was pulled from my 2012 RGU. I don't know if it'd be everything you'd need, but I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts