Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question i will be doing my own maintenance on my bike, but i do not have the luxury of a garage so everything will be done outside in the condo parking lot. So should i by a bike jack/lift or will putting a center stand do the trick.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Center stands are as expensive as a motorcycle jack, if not more.
I have both, due to the bike weight the centerstand is designed to roll on the rear wheel when you place it. This means that if you want to have the rear wheel off the ground, you have to place 2 pieces of wood (one beneath the center stand and one beneath the wheel to be removed after).
It all depends if you want to remove the wheels or not, the jack will be mandatory because the center stand will not grant enough room to take the wheels out/in.
When you have the center stand installed you will have to remove it to lift the bike with the jack, otherwise it will be lifted unbalanced.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will be just doing the basics like fluid changes, taking the wheels off and big stuff like that i will leave to the professionals.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you would get more overall use out of a center stand. Everyday parking, fillling up in gas stations, less space needed by being upright, cleaning, all are easier when on a centerstand. All this in addition to making things much easier for maintenance/repairs. Biggest advantage of a jack is for the operator if you are not flexible or have a bad back. Also adds the danger of damage from a higher drop.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How far out does the chrome lever protrude? Does it affect lean angle? Hit your foot when backing up the bike?
Thank you
Dave
1) the lever protrude sufficiently to be easily found and operated when seated (see also pictures in my previous post)
2) it does not affect the lean angle, but it happened to touch down taking a bump while leaning (nothing serious, going down in the bump, touched and back to normal immediately after)
3) never interfered with the foot while backing up, normal the passenger pegs are the one the needs to be folded to avoid such problem.

the only problem is that the surface has to be even and flat to use it otherwise it feels very unstable and, in some case, uncomfortable to be operated.
personally I use it to save garage room and to allow my ol'lady to jump on passenger seat with peace of mind

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the same center stand and agree with Beaver. general fluid changes and cleaning it works best. Definitely a space saver for parking, but don't remove your side stand. You'll still need it for certain terrain when parking. There is a learning curve with setting up on the center stand but after a few times you'll have the feel. I also have a bike 1500 lb. jack but that uncomfortable feeling while lifting the bike wasn't worth it. A lift table is in my future. Until then ezup center stand gets a thumbs up from me as well.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Listen to Therm and Brewi. 90% of the stuff your going to be doing can be done with that lift. Dooo ettttt.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just buy a screw jack.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-jack/p/MC-JACK/

If you want to lift both ends at the same time, buy two.

Even with a lift table I use the screw jacks all the time. For doing stuff like fluid services, the screw jacks are much better than the hydraulic motorcycle jacks.
I have a lift table and use these also in conjunction with it. They are cheap and very stable. You can get 2 for $160 and lift the entire bike, when you are done pack them back inside. You will need to place them correctly when doing fluid changes so the oil doesn't cover them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts