Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the feedback I’m thinking of getting a good ceramic coating job. My new bike is vivid black and I’d like to protect it as best I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What’s the feedback I’m thinking of getting a good ceramic coating job. My new bike is vivid black and I’d like to protect it as best I can.
got mine done in july. so far so good. $200.

makes cleanup easier, a really deep (vivid black) shine.

fyi does not protect from gravel chips. not a "hard" coating.

i wipe down with S100 when it gets really crusty.

doesn't haze or scratch as easily as the (vivid black) paint on my '16 did. if i looked at it sideways it would scratch.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

What coating are you looking at? Are you doing the install?

Coatings do scratch, they are not bulletproof in that regard.
There a ton of coating manufactures, but there are only a handful of top tier ones.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are some of the top tier ceramic coating brands? I’m just looking to help alleviate some of the surface scratches that vivid black develops. My detailer is going to do the job for me

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In no particular order CarPro, Modesto, FeynLab, 22PLE, Gyeon, Gtech, Polish Angel, Optimum, Kamikaze, IGL, Pinnacle, and a few Im forgetting. I would stay away from Ceramic Pro, I haven't heard anything great lately about them.

Prepping for the coating is key. If the paint is not prepped right the coating will not last. Paint should be polished to perfection before. I know its a new bike but it will still need to be polished.

Please tell me the detailer is not going to use Topcoat?????

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no topcoat

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have really been wanting to try the Fenylab coating. They have a self healing offering. Get a mar on the coating, hit it with a heat gun and it levels out. They have a video of it on their site. Couple guys on the detailing forum have used it and have been extremely happy with it. Its super pricey though

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had an Pro Detailer near me do a 3 stage paint correction on my Shark and then do 22PLE for Ceramic Coat. I absolutely loved the results! Considering I ride all year round I could really tell a difference in how the ceramic protected the bike's paint......Although I wish it would have protected me and the bike from that damn wreck! FML.

and....this forum is where I read about 22PLE....so a shot out to Phillyfan! Thanks! I will def be doing the same on my next Shark.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had an Pro Detailer near me do a 3 stage paint correction on my Shark and then do 22PLE for Ceramic Coat. I absolutely loved the results! Considering I ride all year round I could really tell a difference in how the ceramic protected the bike's paint......Although I wish it would have protected me and the bike from that damn wreck! FML.

and....this forum is where I read about 22PLE....so a shot out to Phillyfan! Thanks! I will def be doing the same on my next Shark.
Good deal man, glad you liked the performance of the coating. 22PLE is certainly up the food chain coating wise.
Hate you had the wreck man.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
got mine done in july. so far so good. $200.

makes cleanup easier, a really deep (vivid black) shine.

fyi does not protect from gravel chips. not a "hard" coating.

i wipe down with S100 when it gets really crusty.

doesn't haze or scratch as easily as the (vivid black) paint on my '16 did. if i looked at it sideways it would scratch.
$200 is really cheap. Dont know what coating they used but its still cheap. When I do a coating job Im at $200 in just materials, but I don't keep a stockpile of it either. I just do it as a side gig

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
$200 is really cheap. Dont know what coating they used but its still cheap. When I do a coating job Im at $200 in just materials, but I don't keep a stockpile of it either. I just do it as a side gig
yeah buddy. cash talks on those side gigs, right?
he quoted me 250 over the phone but he said prep was so quick he'd cut me some slack.
bike was only a few months old.
i told him i didn't want him to burn the paint so he backed off a little.

he showed me how to clean the bike, which was a great learning experience.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can say I paid $800 cash out the door for mine. That was all in. Paint correction, ceramic, etc......it was the best quote I could get in town. All of the other detailers were asking for no less than $1500. So for $200-250 as long as the coating is good and no paint correction is needed I think that is a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
yeah buddy. cash talks on those side gigs, right?
he quoted me 250 over the phone but he said prep was so quick he'd cut me some slack.
bike was only a few months old.
i told him i didn't want him to burn the paint so he backed off a little.

he showed me how to clean the bike, which was a great learning experience.
Cash talks, but its got to be enough for me to give up a day. I disassemble a lot of parts off the bike when I do it. Clean everywhere, everything gets cleaned.

Do you know what coating he used?

Proper cleaning and taking care of the coating are keys for the longevity of the coating. Good stuff

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just doing the paint correction on my bike and the time it took makes me sceptical. I know this is a fairly new bike but the product alone if it is a good one has to be costly.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
whatever he used, no complaints from me.
guy said he makes a killing on cars and boats.

he wasn't real familiar with road glides. the more he looked at it, the more he liked it.
said he was gonna trade-in his custom bike for one next spring.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i clean after each ride.i have tried a few special polishes-to me none are worth the cost.i use purple slice for all.3 bikes and 85000 miles I keep using it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Suggest to read up on the internet and you tube and consider this product: Polish Angel V2,. I used the V2 kit with primer and spritz polish.

Worth it if you like a glossy finish, it’s a nice deep glassy look. Monthly quick spritz polishing really makes it pop I think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts