Road Glide banner

Cerwin vega B52?

13K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  laserman 
#1 ·
Decided this is the amp I want to use in my 15 RG. Wondering if anyone knows where to find one. It seems all the vega authorized dealers have discontinued them. Seen some on eBay but want to buy from reputable dealer.

#5 ·
I'm always a little Leary buying from some little shop on Amazon. Does a guy get authentic product or is it remanned? I would like to buy from a more reputable vendor. Can't find one through sonix,Best Buy,woofersetc. Talked to CV sales rep, they can get me one for $250.00. I think I can do better than that.

#7 ·
I checked Amazon for authorized dealers. None of them are listed as authorized. I might just roll the dice and try one. Anyone know of a better place to buy? Not 100% set on that amp either. I've just heard good things, especially like the idea that you don't loose fm reception for a class D amp.

#10 ·
Redrock, I probably wouldn't buy from those 3rd party Amazon store fronts either.

While the B52 could be hard to find, you might consider the previous model (the B2). Very similar in design and specs. as the B52.

There is a reputable seller on Amazon that has some of B2's left in stock and the price is right.

I've had the B2 in my bike for a few months now, I just got lucky and caught it at the end of it's life cycle. Great AMP and I'm sure the B52 is as well.

However, if you can't find the Cerwin-Vega you might consider the Soundstream PN4.1000D as a suitable alternative. Squeezing it in somewhere will be a little harder, but if you're only running two speakers and need the power you can always bridge the 4-channel configuration into a two channel configuration and you'll have enough power to run any set of speakers that you could possibly ever want.

#11 ·
Thanks Wevsspot!

I've been considering the B2 as well. I think that's maybe the route I will go as well. I guess the biggest reason I was considering the B52 was that it has better internal shielding for less FM interference. I've read on your previous posts that has not been much of a issue for your particular application. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!

#12 ·
I've got my B2 mounted directly under the head unit. Zero space between the radio bracket and the top of the amp. Effect on FM reception is negligible, and in fact if I wanted to "unhide" my shorty antenna it would probably be close to factory reception.

Don't forget that you'll need a Line Out Converter to take the high level speaker output wires from the radio and convert them into low level RCA outputs going into the AMP.

If you can afford it, I recommend the Biketronics BT355. It is worth the money. However, if you're on a budget any Line Out Converter will work. When I did my first install I just ran up to Best Buy and bought one of their Metra LOCs. I was able to tune my setup fairly well by switching the AMP from All Pass to High Pass and setting my crossover frequency to approximately 100Hz.

But after a lot of reading over at HDForums decided to splurge on the BT355 because it is all the rage over there. While it is fairly expensive ($69) in the end I think it was a reasonable investment.

Biketronics takes a standard PAC SNI-35 LOC and adds some 3-stage filtering for frequency response. Then you have user adjustable settings for both gain (each channel) and HPF (each channel).

The BT355 comes preset with the Biketronics recommended settings but you are free to experiment :)

I've got another thread up here specifically talking about the BT355.

http://www.roadglide.org/53-audio/257642-biketronics-bt355-loc.html

If you go with the B2 let me know and I'll share my settings with you to get you in the ball park (after literally hours of testing and setting with an oscilloscope). Just holler at me.

Good luck.

#14 ·
I have researched all the loc's and came to that same conclusion as you Wevsspot. I have pretty much following your lead on this project. I'm glade that I found this forum. A lot of good people on here and good info. I will go with the BT loc. I'm will probably pick your brain on dialing it in Wevsspot. Thanks again!

#15 ·
I did check there Maddmoe. They are discontinued there as well. I actually called a CV rep again today and asked them if they could source a B52 for me. I've emailed them three different times with no success. I'm about ready to change my whole game plan due to poor customer service.

#16 ·
I did check there Maddmoe. They are discontinued there as well. I actually called a CV rep again today and asked them if they could source a B52 for me. I've emailed them three different times with no success. I'm about ready to change my whole game plan due to poor customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.