Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Well I can tell you on my 2011 you have to, can see how else you would get them out, pretty easy, just take your time and watch the pics on the forum, also change both out at the same time, good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes...you must remove the outer faring to replace the bulbs on an '08 RG.

Tip- remove and keep the headlight housing off when installing the outer fairing, this allows for easy placement on the fairing hooks...then snap in headlight housing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Fairing has to come off. Look in the DIY section for the headlight conversion from '08 to newer., I think ChainSaw did the post. You could probably find the video on YouTube also. Salad bowl lense goes away - replace bezel allowing lights to be removed from outside without taking fairing off. Did mine. Nice mod, good look and not expensive.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I have a 08 and yes you have to remove the outer fairing to replace the headlight bulbs.
No you do not need to pull the headlight assembly to install the outer fairing, it is a waste of time and it is a PIA to put the assembly back in the fairing.
You can replace the headlight assembly with a later model RG headlight assembly which allows you to access the headlight bulbs without removing the outer fairing.
If your lenses are cracked and you are going to replace them then it is worth going to the newer style headlight assembly or going with the daymaker headlights which come with a new assembly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do y'all call not expensive..lol
I was just at HARLEY shop..he quoted me $750 for either led or new headlight assembly.
Anyone know website I can look at options or part numbers..

At least the rear turn signal bulbs were only $4 for the pair...lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the DayMakers, $750 is about right, but not for the rest of it. If memory serves me correctly, what you need is a new backplate to mount the headlights from the front. P/N 67959-10, Trim, Dual Headlamp, MSRP $44.99. A new front bezel to replace the plastic bubble, P/N 73250-10, Trim, Headlamp, MSRP $11.99. P/N 67980-10, Adjustment Stud, MSRP $5.99 ea, 3 required. And if you are going to replace the lights, P/N 73376-10, Headlamp Assembly w/Boot, Retainer, and Bulb, MSRP $101.49 ea, 2 required. So this is about $330 at retail price without tax. That's a far cry from $750. If you check, there are usually some of the newer headlight assemblies in the classified section for sale for even less. For a discount on parts pricing, contact member PCPain. He is in the parts department at Horny Toad HD in Texas.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What do y'all call not expensive..lol
I was just at HARLEY shop..he quoted me $750 for either led or new headlight assembly.
Anyone know website I can look at options or part numbers..

At least the rear turn signal bulbs were only $4 for the pair...lol
You go to the Stealer and you get it in the rear if you don't know what you want, and sometimes what you want does cost a shocking amount. My headlight upgrade only required the bezel and adjusters. Found them new on the Forum for under $40 total. DayMakers - call Jon at HornyToad. Best price hands down.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Quickest way is to call him at Horny Toad. Haven't seen him here lately.
+1 ^^^

PC Pain (Jon) is a busy person so a phone call is your best way to get a hold of him.
Make sure you tell him that you are a member of the forum so you can get the discount.
The best time to call him is Wed - Sun he takes Mon and Tues off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.