Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a RGU last year. I have just shy of 29,000 miles on it. I am going to change all of the fluids before I take it on vacation and was considering going with Lucas Oil. I have all of the old records and it has had nothing by HD Syn in it for it's entire life. So do you think I should stay with HD or got with Lucas?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Change to Screaming Eagle, I am kiddiing..I have used HD for past few years and am investigating Lucas. Used Lucas in other engines and quite happy. Your best bet is to use search function, you'll find many perspectives and sides on what to use\what is best.

Reactions: Austinhyd

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Alot of good oils out there. Everyone has a different favorite and a reason for it. Check out bobistheoilguy.com. Some great info on there. Buy the one that is easiest for you to get at a decent price and don't look back!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased a RGU last year. I have just shy of 29,000 miles on it. I am going to change all of the fluids before I take it on vacation and was considering going with Lucas Oil. I have all of the old records and it has had nothing by HD Syn in it for it's entire life. So do you think I should stay with HD or got with Lucas?
When I changed from H-D to Lucas, I put 2 ounces of SeaFoam in the crankcase, rode it just a couple of miles to get it up to temp, and drained while hot. You wouldn't believe the black, nasty mess that came out of an engine that had oil changed religiously every 3000 miles. Drained thoroughly, and went with Lucas 20-50 full synthetic. Lucas full syn 75-90 in the trans, and found that H-D Formula+ in the primary works best for me and my clutch. Do NOT (per 35 year Harley dealer mechanic) ride the bike for more than 2-3 miles if you do the clean out with the 2 oz. of SeaFoam. The Lucas drains out so clean at 5000 mile intervals that I feel guilty about wasting "good" oil. Trans drains out clean also.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Actually HD syn 3 isn't a full synthetic oil it is a synthetic blend which is part synthetic and part regular dino oil.
It won't hurt anything to switch oil but you should switch to a full synthetic MC oil for best results.
I use Mobil 1 20w50 V-twin oil in the engine and I use Mobil 1 75w140 gear lube in the transmission, the transmission is a gear box so you should use gear lube in the transmission instead of motor oil.
I use to use Mobil 1 20w50 v-twin oil in the primary but I switched to non synthetic HD Formula + primary-trans oil, to me the non synthetic seems to be better for the clutch performance.
The main reason I use Mobil 1 products is because you can get it just about anywhere (hell you can even get it at Walmart) so there is no reason to carry oil on road trips, using oil that is harder to get or you have to order online is just not practical IMO.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Lucas 20/50 full syn in the engine,Bell Ray in the trans and HD primary oil ,change oil every 5000 miles always looks clean,very happy with Lucas.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't use Harley oil because Harley oil isn't Harley oil. (yeah I know) Of course they sub it out and who knows who actually makes it. I use Amsoil 20/50 in the engine, 10/40 in the primary, and 75/110 in the trans. They are also making a dedicated trans fluid and primary fluid now, so I will start using those on my next service.

I use Amsoil because it's what I've used on my last two bikes and it works. All the other recommendations are great oils as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Guess I will toss in my 2 cents. I have used Syn 3 in my 04 Road King and it has 90,000 miles with no engine work. 100% original. Still has the original cam change tensioner. LOL think of having it inspected for wear. Could be and most likely there are better lube's but it works for me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I changed from H-D to Lucas, I put 2 ounces of SeaFoam in the crankcase, rode it just a couple of miles to get it up to temp, and drained while hot. You wouldn't believe the black, nasty mess that came out of an engine that had oil changed religiously every 3000 miles. Drained thoroughly, and went with Lucas 20-50 full synthetic. Lucas full syn 75-90 in the trans, and found that H-D Formula+ in the primary works best for me and my clutch. Do NOT (per 35 year Harley dealer mechanic) ride the bike for more than 2-3 miles if you do the clean out with the 2 oz. of SeaFoam. The Lucas drains out so clean at 5000 mile intervals that I feel guilty about wasting "good" oil. Trans drains out clean also.
You just made me a convert to Lucas. I just changed Primary and engine, so next time, seafoam and lucas on list.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boy this is a big topic with hundreds of opinions but we can all agree that syn in the trans and motor for sure , redline, amsoil , belray and mobil 1 all are great choices.

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,589 Posts
I use brad penn racing oil in my engine it's actually real oil. You can check it out on line I buy it off eBay but if I didn't use it I would be running Mobil 1 in a heartbeat

·
Registered
220 Posts
You just made me a convert to Lucas. I just changed Primary and engine, so next time, seafoam and lucas on list.
Not trying to be a wiseass, but, to be clear, the SeaFoam is added to the existing oil in the crankcase for the "cleanout". Again, no more than a mile or two. Just get the oil warm/hot.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.