Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting the big wheel fever some time now and have decided at my age to do it now, (might be my last bike).
The problem is, do I change this bike or sell it and do another bike. The bike as it sits would be perfect if it wasn't for the big wheel itch. I don't have any idea what to ask (price wise) if I decided to sell it.
If I keep the bike, all the body work would go up for sale since I'd be going in a different direction. The next bike would have either highly modified stock pieces or one-off items.
There are some other pictures in my profile album.Give me your opinions to help me make the decision. Bike is a 2010 with 32K on the odometer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Big wheel Baggers selling for high 20s right now. If I had it to do all over Id have never bought my bike new and put all this money into it. Id have bought someone else's completed project and painted it the color I want.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RichieRich, They are selling in this area for around 30k.
Have to say that Papa Smurf has always been a nice bike, but with your attention to detail and thorough planning I think it will be an outstanding ride.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd leave it alone. Bike looks killer!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
RichieRich, They are selling in this area for around 30k.

Have to say that Papa Smurf has always been a nice bike, but with your attention to detail and thorough planning I think it will be an outstanding ride.

Thank you Sir. Even at 30k you gonna have less in it than starting with a stock bike and building from scratch. Only way to avoid that is to buy a wrecked carcass but then you have a salvage title to worry about.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I'd leave it alone. Bike looks killer!
+1. If it was me that wants the big wheel look, which its not, I'd mod the bike I already have simply because you will know what exactly was done to the bike and that it was done right. No offense to anyone but you don't know the way it was done by someone else. Personally I think the bike you have now is pretty badass and I'd use the money and put it into the motor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im agreeing with some others and saying KEEP IT AS IS.....that bike is sick.....grab another one and chop it up.....Im not sure if you have other bikes or not,.......but I have 3 and its always nice to have one up and running bike when Im doing work on the other.....Food for thought....That's my excuse to have them at least!!!!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you want the Big wheel. Then go for the big wheel. You might regret it in the future if you don't.

But I would just do the bike you have. That's one less expense you will have until you want a different bike.

You da boss boss.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've been fighting the big wheel fever some time now and have decided at my age to do it now, (might be my last bike).
The problem is, do I change this bike or sell it and do another bike. The bike as it sits would be perfect if it wasn't for the big wheel itch. I don't have any idea what to ask (price wise) if I decided to sell it.
If I keep the bike, all the body work would go up for sale since I'd be going in a different direction. The next bike would have either highly modified stock pieces or one-off items.
There are some other pictures in my profile album.Give me your opinions to help me make the decision. Bike is a 2010 with 32K on the odometer.
I will say that after seeing this bike first hand in the PA Spring M&G, it's an amazing looking bike as is!! No matter what direction you go, after seeing this bike, I am sure it will be killer!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Just keep what you have and do the big wheel. You already know what's been done to your bike and how it's been taking care of.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I agree with most of the other post. Why not just buy one of the bolt on big wheel kits? That way if you want to go back to stock through 21" you just put your old tree and fender back on. That's a nice paint scheme, I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Like nobody here has ever bought a used bike before. If you do your homework and figure out who did the labor on somebody else's project you can be reasonably assured that it was done the right way and cared for. Expect a 26 to cost you between 7-10k depending on suspension, wheel choice, fender choice, paint work etc. That's doing a lot of the work yourself. If you are prepared to spend that amount plus the down time then chop it up.

I'm in the exact same boat your are in. Had a 21" bike built and now having it turned into a 26" bike. The other part to consider is that the big wheel bikes look best with stretch tank and the longer down and back stretched rear end. Maybe you put on the big wheel but you still gonna have to do the ass end to get it looking right. I can't afford to do my rear this year but you can be sure it will be swapped out with longer stuff next year. You buy a completed project and you get all that already done.

But what do I know?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
And I agree, but some guys like myself enjoy doing the work.I know every inch of my motorcycle, because I did everything except paint. I wanted a new bike. I don't care what it's worth in the end. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Guess it depends on what the OP can get outta his bike and if he is willing to do the work "himself".I've been seeing full out 30" customs sell for around 34k..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Let the biker gods decide. Advertise your bike for a # that you are more than happy with and let it go if it sells at or just below your # after a few weeks. If it don't sell cut it up and make it what you want.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As a young-in, if have a itch you have to scratch it. If you have the cash go the 2nd bike route.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
so do u have the money to do the mods with out selling ur bike? Y take someone else's build when u can design and do it urself. But I am bias that's what I did :) ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Freaky for the compliment.
Thanks everyone for the opinions, they did help.
RichieRich, already mocked up my own design bags 6 down and over 8 back. The lids are my own design with integral speakers. The tail lights are like no others out there (not my lights in the exhaust) but very slick. Rear fender is going to be peaked. Side exhaust, more room for front and rear air. AS or Misfit short neck and modified inner and outer fairings. Like you I've been planning the mods for a while and think I have a design that flows nicely.
Been riding this bike as is for 4 years, not tired of the bike just the looks. It's leaning towards just doing this bike over.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You need a support group. I'm in need of one myself. Intervention?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts