Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new front pads on my bike at 41,000 got the pads from eastern performance on ebay I now have a whistle/ grind noise when I apply my front brakes any ideas on how to fix noise, was not their before. 2011 FLTRU pads are organic. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most brake noise comes from the backing plate on the pads, not the pads themselves. It's caused by the vibration of the pads against the caliber when the brakes are applied. That's why you need to apply brake pad lube to the "backing plates" (NOT THE PAD SURFACE!) where they contact the caliber and on the top and bottom edges of the backing plates (pointy ends) where they slide in the caliber bracket as they wear. It's also important to thoroughly clean the surface on the caliber and bracket that the brake pads contact and slide on with brake clean spray and a rag before installing the pads and brake pad lube. Not saying this is your problem, but I'd start here if it was my bike. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
having about the same issue, so subscribed

to see how this resolves

I did have to inesrt and turn a fine head flat head, in the top after reassembly to gently force back the section of the pads that slide on the pin, to get the clips and pads aligned

I suspect air in the right caliper, since the pistons on the inner side wouldn't mash all the way in

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
It's probably just the difference in the compound of the pad.

Drew
Most brake noise comes from the backing plate on the pads, not the pads themselves. It's caused by the vibration of the pads against the caliber when the brakes are applied. That's why you need to apply brake pad lube to the "backing plates" (NOT THE PAD SURFACE!) where they contact the caliber and on the top and bottom edges of the backing plates (pointy ends) where they slide in the caliber bracket as they wear. It's also important to thoroughly clean the surface on the caliber and bracket that the brake pads contact and slide on with brake clean spray and a rag before installing the pads and brake pad lube. Not saying this is your problem, but I'd start here if it was my bike. Good luck!
Both of these statements are possible. I would start by using some brake silicone grease on all the metal to metal surfaces, DO NOT PUT IT ON THE PAD SURFACE THAT CONTACTS THE ROTOR.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
^^^^ Yes, this. :) I use the same pads and when I changed them I used high temp brake lube on the backs of the plate pads and the guide rods after cleaning everything with spray brake cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts