Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I found out two weeks back my 750 Harley Street has no fuel filter.

·
Registered
695 Posts
By my experience the outside of the filter never looks too bad, but I’d you cut the filter in two, you’ll see the real mess that was happening within.
The strange thing is that my ‘09 Dyna has a 1/3rd of the due miles than my ‘16 RGU, but the filter element is about the same…….

·
Administrator
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pita part was getting the filter out of the tank beyond the halfway point to lift the assy out , there's a fuel line the filter catches on and you have to pull strait out and lift at the same time , lotsa wiggle and jiggle .. And you finally find the 'right spot' and it comes out ..

I've had much more aggravating repairs before ..

JtB

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
The pita part was getting the filter out of the tank beyond the halfway point to lift the assy out , there's a fuel line the filter catches on and you have to pull strait out and lift at the same time , lotsa wiggle and jiggle .. And you finally find the 'right spot' and it comes out ..

JtB
"Wiggle and jiggle"

Is that a BAMA technical term?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

JtB
Yepper, hate that one - It's like building a ship in a bottle, if an octopuse was in the bottle fighting with you while you did it.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Just a reference.
07 75,000 miles never change fuel filter
11 52,000
13 72,000
16 52.000
17 40,000
20 19,000 ........
Not saying don't do it. Just that is not the worst thing in the world to let it ride a bit.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
81500 miles and it was nasty but I have seen worse with less miles and yes it was a PITA

JtB

View attachment 446340
Did mine at 25K or so. Looked about the same as I remember. There was something else that got dis-shaped on that part iirc. There was an old thread out on it.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,702 Posts
So with all these guys talking about when and what their service manual said on when to change the fuel filter, on mine it said every 100,000, but because of another members post I decided I better check it out at that time my bike had 40,000 miles on it, so I still had 60,000 miles to go so to speak, I think I will change it it at 20,000 miles, next time,
It wasn't that hard of a job for me, but I am fucking clutch, so in my case gas went all over the towels all over my wrist down my leg dripped on my foot got all in the carpet. But the job itself was easy. This is what my fuel filter looked like at 40,000.........
Automotive tire Wood Font Metal Auto part

Because of all the traveling that my wife and I do, there are a lot of times we're in states that only have 91 octane, there are times we are in places that look like we shouldn't be tanking up there, but yet you got 25 miles on your bike and it says low so you can't go anyway, not making any excuses I'm just saying it's hard not for that filter to look as nasty as it does with all the traveling to different places we do.....

·
Registered
17 Posts

JtB
JTB.... off subject but,,, I saw you mention my long-lost cousin from Montgomery, in a post... He was BMCM(SW) Tony Summerlin.... hero to my family. Would love to hear any stories you have from serving with him in Viet Nam... or where ever... Thanx Rod Moody

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Did you have the tool to get the fuel neck off the tank or did you find a way around using the tool?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger Wheel Rim

So with all these guys talking about when and what their service manual said on when to change the fuel filter, on mine it said every 100,000, but because of another members post I decided I better check it out at that time my bike had 40,000 miles on it, so I still had 60,000 miles to go so to speak, I think I will change it it at 20,000 miles, next time,

·
Administrator
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JTB.... off subject but,,, I saw you mention my long-lost cousin from Montgomery, in a post... He was BMCM(SW) Tony Summerlin.... hero to my family. Would love to hear any stories you have from serving with him in Viet Nam... or where ever... Thanx Rod Moody
I was stationed in Pensacola with Tony at the brig from 1979-81 and I was in touch with him the last couple years before he passed , seems he was in the Florida panhandle and had remarried with a couple teen age boys , and had a heritage I believe .. your name sounds familiar , maybe went to school with you , was your dad a Lt with MPD ?
I'm in Prattville now ..

JtB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turns out Tony was very close to my home in Gulf Shores all this time...never knew exactly where... You can find an OBIT page that tells a lot about his 3 tours and the GunBoats on the rivers and medals. You may already know this...He was something... He lost his Dad (my uncle) very young..._ I served MPD in the 60's and early 70s as a Motorcycle cop,,, not kin to Lt. Moody...My facebook page is Rod MMoody...would be glad to be FB friends with you...

·
Administrator
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out Tony was very close to my home in Gulf Shores all this time...never knew exactly where... You can find an OBIT page that tells a lot about his 3 tours and the GunBoats on the rivers and medals. You may already know this...He was something... He lost his Dad (my uncle) very young..._ I served MPD in the 60's and early 70s as a Motorcycle cop,,, not kin to Lt. Moody...My facebook page is Rod MMoody...would be glad to be FB friends with you...
Well then I can rattle off a bunch of names for you , and I can see we weren't in school together , Lt Moody's boys were close to my age ( 65 ) and he had big problems with them .. Not on FB anymore ..

You probably worked with/ for my cousin Ben Maddox , he retired from motor division as a Lt in 75 or so , passed away from cancer in 1991 ..

Bill Watkins , wasn't a motor cop , but worked with MPD a few years in the late '60's , he was my riding budd and passed in 2016 not long after Dan Myers , Dan passed in May and Bill in September ..

Larry Collins ( think his last name is Collins ) knew him through work years ago , was a motor cop

And another one , jeez rode all over the country with him , and he passed in 2017 , brain fart , I will think of it ..

JtB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts