Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I getting ready to go with 11 in bars on my rg . whats the best way to get the new lines filled with least problems . thanks

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question but what do you mean by "filled"? Are you talking about bleeding the lines?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put new bars on and had to fill a completely empty system. I was going to use the syringe method (pushing fluid from caliper up to reservoir) but my buddy upon hearing this said he wanted to try his new Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder. That thing worked slick as hell. I didn't even have to touch up the job with traditional bleeding methods -- brakes were nice and firm right away.

This one looks like the one he used.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you have ABS you will need to take it to a HD dealer.
I swapped to my 14" chubbies and added a +8 brake cable and didn't take it to HD. I just used a line and bottle at the front brake and did a normal 1-man bleed with my ABS. My brakes work fine and have for the last 3k miles or so, a vacuum pump doesn't sound like a bad idea but for only 1 brake line I didn't use it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah I don't see why it would need to go to a dealer, now I have not done a Harley yet but I have bleed many many cars with ABS the old fashion way and never had an issue

·
Registered
299 Posts
I swapped to my 14" chubbies and added a +8 brake cable and didn't take it to HD. I just used a line and bottle at the front brake and did a normal 1-man bleed with my ABS. My brakes work fine and have for the last 3k miles or so, a vacuum pump doesn't sound like a bad idea but for only 1 brake line I didn't use it.
I want to do the 14" outlawz. Why plus 8" on upper brake line? Also, how much on clutch cable. Thanks. How much wire extention did you use.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
+4 looks like it would be about right. Here's a bad shot but you can see how much excess I have with the +8. If not sure +6 would definitely be enough.

[Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I appreciate the pic. I see what you mean about 8" being too much for the brake cable. The cluctch looks good. What length is that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I appreciate the pic. I see what you mean about 8" being too much for the brake cable. The cluctch looks good. What length is that?
I'll check the clutch cable box when I get home, hopefully it indicates length. I ordered this kit from "americanclassicmotors" on eBay and the cables/lines were pre-selected.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stock Should work

Unless you are swapping out for a braided cable your stock brake line will work. I just installed 12" Buky Malo bars on my FLTRX and stock Brake line worked perfectly, I went +4 on clutch so I could keep routing the same.
As far as bleeding goes you can use VAC or manual bleed from the top of the ABS unit, just be sure to capture ANY fluid from the top of ABS unit or you will ruin paint. As long as brakes feel good and you get no codes you are good to go. Unless of course you want to spent $100 for an HD tech to tell you it's fine using their HD Tech diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unless you are swapping out for a braided cable your stock brake line will work. I just installed 12" Buky Malo bars on my FLTRX and stock Brake line worked perfectly, I went +4 on clutch so I could keep routing the same.
As far as bleeding goes you can use VAC or manual bleed from the top of the ABS unit, just be sure to capture ANY fluid from the top of ABS unit or you will ruin paint. As long as brakes feel good and you get no codes you are good to go. Unless of course you want to spent $100 for an HD tech to tell you it's fine using their HD Tech diagnostic tool.
Great info. I am getting all my ducks in a row to start this project. I do want braided lines, so I am trying firgure out what sizes I need and tools to do it. My bigesst hold up is 12" or 14" bars, if I am going thru all this work I just to make sure I make the right height choice. This will be my first major install as well as ape bars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
...your stock brake line will work. I just installed 12" Buky Malo bars...
Do you think stock brake lines work on 14" bars as well? Honestly I never even attempted to reinstall my stock brake lines. They seemed like they would be too short but I didn't actually mount them up to see if they'd reach.

Due to the excess in brake line I have up top I'd likely install the stock line (even though it's not stainless braided like my aftermarket lines) just to clean it up a bit until I get the right length braided lines.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you think stock brake lines work on 14" bars as well? Honestly I never even attempted to reinstall my stock brake lines. They seemed like they would be too short but I didn't actually mount them up to see if they'd reach.

Due to the excess in brake line I have up top I'd likely install the stock line (even though it's not stainless braided like my aftermarket lines) just to clean it up a bit until I get the right length braided lines.
You could do a dry fit just to check. You will have to remove your tank but it is easy enough run your stock line along the route and you should be able to tell if it will work. My bars are 12" don't know if there would have been enough length for 2 more inches. Worst case scenario is you buy a shorter braided line get exactly what you want and sell your longer line to someone going with taller bars and get some of your money back. I'm going to post some pics of my new setup tonight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm confused -- why would I have to remove my tank? The lines weren't run there previously.
Do you have ABS?? If not then forget everything I said. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts