Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change Head Pipes on my 2012..DO I have to retain my O2 sensors?? Are there big differences in all the different companies that offer them.. I did notice that the Supertrapp ones said something about having to change the air filter box.. Also, are the 2:2 power pipes better than the True Duals?? I emailed Vance and Hines to see if they have a new map for my Digital tuner, but no answer as of yet.. Thanks...

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Yes you need to use the 02 sensors on the new headpipes, most manufactures have the 02 bungs in the headpipes and they are located where you can use the stock wiring.
2 into 1 exhaust should make more power than a true dual exhaust but the power difference is not that much so go with the exhaust system you like.
No you don't need the stage 1 air box mod to change the exhaust but the intake mod will help overall performance but it can be done later if you want to wait.
You don't need to remap the V&H tuner if you just do a exhaust mod.
The V&H tuner is not the best tuner available and I don't think you can remap it, since the V&H tuner is a piggyback tuner you may have to get the bikes ECM reflashed by the dealer first, if that is the case then wait until you have the intake mod done then do the reflash.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the Fullsac head pipe with both of the O2 sensor bungs. It has the stock small O2's and the large ones if you want to run an ECM/tuner like the Thundermax. I have the Thundermax ECM/tuner on my bike, makes it really nice if you change components on the engine such as intake, exhaust or cams. The Thundermax will self tune using wide band O2 sensors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..I have the stage 1 air cleaner, just stock cover.. The power pipes I was talking about go from 2 into one and then back into 2..(they have a section that looks like a big cross) Are all the head pipes the same size where they mount to the mufflers?/ I have the SE Nightsticks and was wondering if they will fit the aftermarket headpipes?? DOnt really want to get into having to buy mufflers, since these have less than 3000 miles on them..

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went with the jackpot 2/1/2 ceramic coated SS headpipe. It has bungs for stock o2 sensors (what I use) and also has bungs for the larger wide band sensors if you want to use those. My headpipes are the same size as stock.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
If you are going to run a true dual exhaust then the HD stock or SE mufflers won't work.
The stock HD exhaust system is setup as a scavenging exhaust so most (about 70%) of the exhaust flow is out the right muffler and the rest of the exhaust flow is out of the left muffler (30%).
Because the exhaust system is set up this way the inside of the mufflers (guts) are different.
The difference in the mufflers internals will cause a true dual exhaust to be unbalance and hinder the bike performance.
You need mufflers that are designed to flow equal for a true dual exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts