Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello RG friends.

I have a 2017 RGS and I'm gonna put on some different bars. I am pretty mechanical and handy but this looks like a pretty big job. Would you guys recommend having the dealer install these or is it something that can be easily done at home?

Is it all bolt on and plug in or will it require any soldering, wire crimping etc.?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello RG friends.

I have a 2017 RGS and I'm gonna put on some different bars. I am pretty mechanical and handy but this looks like a pretty big job. Would you guys recommend having the dealer install these or is it something that can be easily done at home?

Is it all bolt on and plug in or will it require any soldering, wire crimping etc.?

Thanks,
Anthony
I just got my 2018 RGS last month and had the bars in the garage before I even had the bike. First Road Glide, 3rd set of bars I have installed on a Harley Bagger. I will tell you that this was BY FAR the easiest swap on a bagger I have ever done. Only took me 1.5 hours to do everything and be back out on the road. I have the factory 47 Signature 16" bars and only needed the wire extenders and was able to use the stock brake and clutch cables. If you stay at 14" or lower you don't need any extensions at all.
Do this yourself and save the 6 hours of labor your dealer is going to charge you!!!

My other installs were on a Street Glide and a Ultra Limited.......NOT FUN!

·
Registered
927 Posts
No soldering or crimping, and all plug and play for your bike. Can get a little more complicated if you go with bars taller than 14”, because now you’re swapping clutch/brake cables. Factory 47 apparently figured a way to re-route those cables for 16” bars, but not sure how much play/adjustment that leaves once done. If you’re mechanical watch a few videos for tips, and knock it out yourself. You’ll save big bucks in the process. The most time on any one thing is spent fishing the wires through the bars and even that can be easier depending on type bars you’re installing. The more difficult one’s are the smaller (1.25”) bars with sharp angles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try them myself, as I'm pretty handy. I was thinking of putting the factory 47 12" on there.
I see that LAB has some videos for sale, do you think this would be a good idea to buy or are there any free videos on the internet? I have looked and I only see a few videos that are a minute or two long and not much info is given

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try them myself, as I'm pretty handy. I was thinking of putting the factory 47 12" on there.
I see that LAB has some videos for sale, do you think this would be a good idea to buy or are there any free videos on the internet? I have looked and I only see a few videos that are a minute or two long and not much info is given
The Factory 47 website has a video for free that shows exactly what to do! Its at the bottom of the "Signature bars" page. Don't pay for anything. They even sent me links to the videos they created for rerouting the cables on my 16" when I asked how they did it. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH THEM!!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
There are 3 of them I used, for any extra tips. Comments found in this awesome forum were helpful too. I’d advise not to remove ignition switch to remove your dash. Factory 47’s video install was most helpful. The drain chain method broke, so I used weed whacker string. Also,do yourself the favor, and lube the wire jackets so they slip through the bars easier. Check for handlebar to tank/windshield clearance before torquing clamp down to specs. LAB does provide a lot of good info, so if you wanted to support them, I’m sure they’d appreciate it. You can do it with what’s already available for free though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just do it. Go slow take pictures save to hundreds. With the saving you can buy drinks at SW VIII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I think I'm gonna go with the 14's now. I watch all the videos and get all the info first. I'll keep you guys posted and post some pics when complete.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I recently installed 14" mini apes on my 2016 road glide and installed heated grips. A couple of tricks that may work for you:

1. check where the handle bars connect to the forks. Probably a little metal dimple protruding up. Don't cut that off, you'll need to drill a hole for that dimple. Use your old handle bars as a gauge for drilling the hole or add small amount of playdoh to the bottom of the handlebars where it meets the fork and press into the fork area. The dimple will mark where the hole should be drilled.
2. install the handlebar first before trying to wire... contrary to many recommendations, there is an easy way to wire, but the bars should be installed first.
3. use a boot lace (make sure its a boot lace, others will break) you can get them at DSW or other shoe stores.
4. tie one end of the boot lace to the wires you're going to feed through the handle bars (make sure the knot isn't big as that has to go through the bars too and also the curves in the bar). I also used tape to make the knot smooth and wouldn't catch while pulling.
5. place the loose end of the boot lace into the handlebars (from the grip end) and use an air compressor to feed the boot lace through the bar. use short bursts, will take a few short bursts. Now look at the center of the handle bars and you'll see the boot lace.
6. begin pulling gently on the boot lace where it came through the bars and gently push the wires as you pull the lace.

Repeat for the other side.

I hope this helps you wire the bars quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go for it, I've never changed bars, other than motocross, not to mention internal wiring and pulling the ignition. It took me twice as long as the professionals but when it was all done it went smooth no hiccups. two things I'd mention going into it is be careful when you pull the ignition that the tabs don't get moved. second, if your rolling your bars forward just use a small hammer and nail set and tap the pin down until its flush. No need to wrestle it out of there. That's it you just save 650.00 in labor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed Factory 47 bars on my 2017 RGS, I got the 14 inch bars, sometimes I wish I would have went with the 16 inch. If you can find someone with the 16's, might want to look at them and make sure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello RG friends.

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony, There are numerous videos on youtube showing how its done. The big hurdle for me is disassembling the TBW plug. But, upon inspection, HD for my 18, downsized that plug so it does not need to be taken apart to get it out, then back in the new bars. They replaced the big single plug, with two smaller plugs. I'll be testing this theory once my bars arrive. You might wanna pull the Speedo/Tach cluster and take a peek.

Also, if you remove the chrome horseshoe surrounding your Ignition switch, you can remove the Instrument cluster WITHOUT having to pull that switch. Pull the horseshoe, turn the swith to the fork lock poosition, and the cluster will come off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I installed Factory 47 bars on my 2017 RGS, I got the 14 inch bars, sometimes I wish I would have went with the 16 inch. If you can find someone with the 16's, might want to look at them and make sure.
I put Factory 47 14" bars on my 17 RG. My wires on one side barely made it out of the bars and the other side was just short of the center hole. I've installed bars numerous times and made sure the controls were in place and every bit of wire pulled. Nothing like the few inches of wire sticking out in their video. I just decided to extend the wires 6" and leave the plug bracket in place. Did you have any issues? The whole reason I went with 14s and not 16s was so they would be plug and play. But at least the new canbus system is a piece of cake to work with. Installing the heated grips over the powder coated bars was tough. The coating made the bars a little too fat.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I put Factory 47 14" bars on my 17 RG. My wires on one side barely made it out of the bars and the other side was just short of the center hole. I've installed bars numerous times and made sure the controls were in place and every bit of wire pulled. Nothing like the few inches of wire sticking out in their video.
I had the same issue- the connectors coming out of my 14's were right at hole in the bars. I didn't really like it. Felt much better after spending the $20 ish bucks on the HD wiring extension kit and tucking the connectors right into the bars. Plus I was then able to keep the connectors on the other end clipped onto the stock plastic mounting plate as originally intended.

I'm gonna do F47 14's on my buddies bike next, and I recommended that he just go ahead and spring for the extensions... for 12's Ya might be ok with the stock length- Idk, haven't done any of those...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had the same issue- the connectors coming out of my 14's were right at hole in the bars. I didn't really like it. Felt much better after spending the $20 ish bucks on the HD wiring extension kit and tucking the connectors right into the bars. Plus I was then able to keep the connectors on the other end clipped onto the stock plastic mounting plate as originally intended.

I'm gonna do F47 14's on my buddies bike next, and I recommended that he just go ahead and spring for the extensions... for 12's Ya might be ok with the stock length- Idk, haven't done any of those...
I knew I couldn't be the only one! Their customer service sucked for me. They took forever to respond to my questions and then kept saying watch the video. Like I'm an idiot. I saw the damn video and their guy had about 4" of wire sticking out of the bars. I didn't have any extensions on hand and the bike was apart so I went old school and cut and soldered. I was nervous cutting up my brand new bike and didn't know how the canbus system would react to my butchery but it all worked fine. So pissed I didn't just order 16" bars. I did all the work anyway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I'm purchasing a 2018 RGS going to put Yaffe 12" Monkey bars on, my local Deal insists I need to change cables, everything I have read say they are wrong, is that correct??

I'm torn between 14 and 12 based on this cable deal need them to install as I will be out of the country I should add, if I need to change cables no matter what ill go with 14, if the 12's don't require it they will work, felt both and I'm good with either, my height makes me lean more to 14 but both were good

·
Registered
384 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I'm purchasing a 2018 RGS going to put Yaffe 12" Monkey bars on, my local Deal insists I need to change cables, everything I have read say they are wrong, is that correct??

I'm torn between 14 and 12 based on this cable deal need them to install as I will be out of the country I should add, if I need to change cables no matter what ill go with 14, if the 12's don't require it they will work, felt both and I'm good with either, my height makes me lean more to 14 but both were good
Yafee and my bars are very similar. you don't need to change anything to go with 12s, 14" needs wire extenders but the cables should be fine. I'm 6'1" I wish I put 16s on if that hekps make up your mind.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yafee and my bars are very similar. you don't need to change anything to go with 12s, 14" needs wire extenders but the cables should be fine. I'm 6'1" I wish I put 16s on if that hekps make up your mind.
good to know, I'm 6' 0" want to tilt the bars back a few inches to relax, wire extenders I'm fine with but they told me even 12's needed new cables

1 - 20 of 25 Posts