Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 RG with about 6400 miles on it. At the 5000 mile mark I switched over to Amsoil Synthetic and all has seemed to be fine. However I'm in the dealer the other day and he was saying that Amsoil is really good but that availability isn't always as easy to get if your on the road and need an oil change. He also said that its not good to switch oils generally that you should pick and oil and stick with it. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Will it cause issues to switch over to harley synthetic at this point? Is the Harley synthetic as good as Amsoil?

Thanks!

Dubbsrider

·
Registered
811 Posts
No, Harley's synthetic is not as good as AMSOIL. If you're on the road and you need some AMSOIL, just use the AMSOIL locator at http://www.amsoil.com/locator/map.aspx to find some; if you need something in a pinch, adding some Mobil 1 would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I had a HD service writer tell me my OEM Dunlop was cracking because of freon leaking from a storage freezer in the garage. I almost starting laughing because it was only happening to the front tire. The rear tire closest to the freezer as well as my wife's car and her bike showed no signs on cracking lol. I no longer run Dunlops or have any service done at this Dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I have a 2015 RG with about 6400 miles on it. At the 5000 mile mark I switched over to Amsoil Synthetic and all has seemed to be fine. However I'm in the dealer the other day and he was saying that Amsoil is really good but that availability isn't always as easy to get if your on the road and need an oil change. He also said that its not good to switch oils generally that you should pick and oil and stick with it. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Will it cause issues to switch over to harley synthetic at this point? Is the Harley synthetic as good as Amsoil?

Thanks!

Dubbsrider
First of all, if I'm taking a road trip that runs during the time of my oil change, I'm changing the oil before I leave, regardless of how many miles the oil in the bike has on it.. surely within 5-10k miles I can find some Amsoil VTwin.. imho.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I agree, i run redline because its easier to find by me,i used to run amsoil, one switch if you had to wont matter, i would not use harley syn 3, its crap IMO, better of with mobil 1 V-twin, belray or the two we mentioned earlier. I am sure you can find one of these somewhere on the road.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

Thanks!

Dubbsrider
If you are on the road and need to add oil and can't find your brand of synthetic, use a quart of Rotella diesel oil and you will be fine. When you get home, drain the oil at the next change interval and put back in what you normally use.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why?

Honestly... why use Amsoil on a stock 2015 twin cam? It only makes it noisier. If you are set on Syn oils.. one switch in the engine to HD wont make any difference.

I do agree that HD Syn3 is not as good as some others but that only means it breaks down faster.

On a stock Twin Cam... I'd use Dino oil and RedLine in the Tranny once a year. In the Primary... HD formula is great. But with Dino you do have to change it every 3500-4000 miles.

But if you aare set on Amsoil... take 3 quarts with you if you are doing a coastal circuit... or scout out where you will be (before you leave) at the time you need a change and I'm sure there are tons of Amsoil places there... or within 500 miles.

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
First I get used oil analysis done at most every change , I usually use Redline 20w-60 , and in a pinch will use something else thats full syn , I like Valvoline Racing 20w-50 FS ..

I switch regularly and have no issues .. Find a full syn that YOU like and change it when it needs it . Oil related failures are very rare and most can be attributed to either not changing it or a pre existing issue that wasn't known at the oil change ..

I and others have oil analysis that shows the Harley Syn isn't 'crap' like 99.9% of the people say .. My reason for not using Harley's oil on a regular basis , which is a blend and not a full syn , is at the price they want for it , I can buy a full synthetic .. Actually the Harley Syn 3 is one of my better oil analysis ..

My riding budd passed away last September and all he ever used was Harley dino and Syn3 , he never had an oil failure and he rode over 50k a year for over thirty years , his bikes all ran well over 100k before he got rid of them , never an oil issue .. He had a 1987 EVO Tour Glide that was totaled with 187000 on it and cases and heads never came off the bike ..

Use the FS you want and dont worry about mixing , isn't an issue ..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I had a HD service writer tell me my OEM Dunlop was cracking because of freon leaking from a storage freezer in the garage. I almost starting laughing because it was only happening to the front tire. The rear tire closest to the freezer as well as my wife's car and her bike showed no signs on cracking lol. I no longer run Dunlops or have any service done at this Dealer.

But you fix the Freon leak? Lol

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Maybe not exactly the right thread for this question but I have a 17' RGS and I'm in need of doing my first oil change and I'm going with Redline again in all the 3 holes. I know I'm getting 20w50 for the engine and shock proof for the tranny but do you know by chance what the primary gets in a Redline oil ? The dealership doesn't know what viscosity to get other than telling me use the Harley stuff......I don't want it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe not exactly the right thread for this question but I have a 17' RGS and I'm in need of doing my first oil change and I'm going with Redline again in all the 3 holes. I know I'm getting 20w50 for the engine and shock proof for the tranny but do you know by chance what the primary gets in a Redline oil ? The dealership doesn't know what viscosity to get other than telling me use the Harley stuff......I don't want it.
Its 10W/40 last time I checked... but Red Line has one for that as well.

I would use Red Line as well if I could get it locally. Here (Ontario) ... "Car Quest" is about the only place to get it and you have tpo pr-order. Also its ridiculously expensive.

I use Red Line in the Tranny cause I only need to change it once a year or so ... I use Motul Dino oil in the engine (like liquid honey) and I do use the HD Primary stuff in the Primary cause I change it with the engine oil every 3500 miles

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Redline primary case oil. Amazon has it. Prime shipping.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
That's why I use oil that you can get at any auto parts store. I used either Mobil1 or Castrol 20w50 full synthetic V twin oil which is available at most all auto parts stores nationwide. I also use Mobil1 or Valvoline 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the tranny which is available in most auto parts stores as well. It' highly unlikely that you will have to add oil to the trans or primary when on the road but you may need to add engine oil so to me it's important to be able to have easy access of the oil I use. I never left out on a road trip carrying a extra QT of oil but I'm pretty lucky because my bike doesn't use any oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
That's why I use oil that you can get at any auto parts store. I used either Mobil1 or Castrol 20w50 full synthetic V twin oil which is available at most all auto parts stores nationwide. I also use Mobil1 or Valvoline 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the tranny which is available in most auto parts stores as well. It' highly unlikely that you will have to add oil to the trans or primary when on the road but you may need to add engine oil so to me it's important to be able to have easy access of the oil I use. I never left out on a road trip carrying a extra QT of oil but I'm pretty lucky because my bike doesn't use any oil between oil changes.
I like redline 20w-60. but if I had to add some on the road, I would just add whatever I could get at the parts house. my bike has never used oil between changes either so no worries there. change every 5k as per manual.

shell rotella t 10w-40 in the primary, $14 for a gallon of it. change every 5k with the engine.

supertech full synthetic 75w-90 gear oil for the tranny. yeah, Walmart oil. its made by citgo (the same company that brings you syn3) and has very good reports over on bob is the oil guy forums. change every 20k as per the manual.

fact is, it isn't so much the oil that you use, it's changing that oil on a regular basis. ask 100 guys what oils they use, you'll get 100 different answers. ask them how many oil related problems they've had and most likely you'll get one answer - zero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Changing oils

I have been running Mobil 1 V Twin Synthetic in all three holes on My 2008 Street glide with no issues. I just purchased a 2017 Road Glide Special and am within 200 miles of my first oil change.
I plan on using Mobil 1 again in this bike unless I find a reason that tells me otherwise.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Take all of these oils and pick one anit no real difference in any of them as far as wear on your bike.
You are not going to hurt a thing replacing it with another brand. If that was the case there would be cars and motorcycles destroyed everywhere.
Amazing drained out the HD oils at 2000 miles switched over to M1 in engine and primary and Spector in trans. Bike did not die from the transfusion. Oh my yes I did put M1 in the primary, it does not make a difference. I use the Spector in the trans because it is easy to see it is RED.
2000 miles no magic number just timing was leaving on a trip and wanted it all done before we left.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
be careful with what you put in the primary. some oils have friction modifiers that can cause your clutch to slip. that's why I like the rotella t, it is jaso rated for wet clutch use.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
To answer your question.... No it won't hurt anything to switch oils if you need to. There are many different thoughts on this subject, (and no I'm not talking about the debates as to which oil is better) some say it is better to stick with one brand and type of oil for the life of the engine. Others say that it is good to use a different brand every once in a while because each brand has different detergents and by switching you can cover all the bases as to the benefits of each of them that you use. Not endorsing either method, just passing the info along. Run what you want and ride safe!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts