Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i am looking at changing the rocker tops for black powdercoated ones. any advice or pictures would be great!
I highly recommend using the service manual ~ this is not a difficult task but the manual is very helpful ~ just double check the gaskets are installed correctly as you are installing the rocker tops ~

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
What Mitchdm said! As mentioned its not real difficult. The 3-top screws on the rear cylinder left side are difficult to torque because of their location. Be ready for that. I torqued mine by feel. They make a special wrench for those bolts although you don't have to use it, but it does make it easier.

You are going to need to remove the fuel tank. Try to run as much fuel out of it before removing or siphon it out. The lighter the tank the better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sorry to jack the thread but are replacing the bottom rockers difficult?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
sorry to jack the thread but are replacing the bottom rockers difficult?
No ~ same advice ~ service manual ~ I have done mine on a 10 ultra ltd 3 or four times ~ powdercoat/top end/etc... Service manual and take your time ~ proper gasket alignment is a must....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
will take any and all the help I can get! I will let you know when i get the courage up!
Just did mine last week when I got em back from the PC guy. Put some oil on your finger and lube between the gasket and the cover so it seats right and doesnt move. Check your gasket placement once you drop it on(pretty easy since if they move it will stick out) and both sides should be on within 10 minutes. 20 if you dont read the manual or are "the most non-mechanical person" (sorry danny :D). Make sure you dont over torque them as it can cause them to warp but as long as your not trying to play Mr. Universe, you should be fine.

@yamahoe72 As far as changing the bottom out, thats a bit more because of yours rockers attached to that plate. Check your service manual for that and it gives some really nice details on doing that bottom plate, both for dissassembly and reinstallation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts