Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When sitting on the bike the u shaped black channel trim that fits b/w the inner and outer fairing on the left side keeps coming out. I've pushed it back down several times and while my bike is brand new, I don't know if I trust the dealership to repair it. I loosened the inner fairing and pushed it down as good as possible. Has anyone else experienced this small problem and if so, how did you correct it?

·
Administrator
10,502 Posts
very common issue

trying super glue this time around , just bought another set of them ..

talked the guy into charging me for one instead a two

used ta come inna pack of two for about ten smacks

now they inna pack of one for ten clams

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is best to take care of the problem early. I kept pushing mine back on like you are doing and when summer came and the temperature hit 100+, whatever type of glue that is just oozed out all over the place. The glue does not ever get hard. I cleaned all of the OEM glue off and stuck the trim back on with black rtv, it has been on for 20K miles so far.

The should de-nut whoever picked that adhesive for that application.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You took off the entire trim, cleaned it and then put black RTV on or just on the ends?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Black RTV sounds like a good fix I'm guna give it a try. I have the same problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
if you buy the door edge strip at an auto parts store it works better and looks better and they are much cheaper. Put the glue on the inside edge of the fairing and it won't oz out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you buy the door edge strip at an auto parts store it works better and looks better and they are much cheaper. Put the glue on the inside edge of the fairing and it won't oz out.
Is the car door edging thicker/wider than what's there?

·
Registered
587 Posts
You took off the entire trim, cleaned it and then put black RTV on or just on the ends?
This is correct, I cleaned the original glue from the fairing and inside the channel trim then put a very thin bead around the fairing edge. I did not have any ooze out, but it could happen if excessive rtv were used. I do not think it would be hard to clean off the excess before it dries, so that should not really be a problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Why not just remove the trim piece all together, and put it back together. The inner and outer fairings really have no seal anyway. Doc

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Ditto, I have had the new replacement strips both for 9.99 each for almost a year now and yet to put them on. It seems like just when I think it is not going to start coming out or apart it does while I am riding......You know it is bad when the woman says something ... I will try the Black RTV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine was coming off for the longest time. I finally peeled the original off, took a tooth pick cleaned out the goop the MoCo put in the trim channel as well as off the inner fairing. Once clean and dry, I applied a thin coat of super glue (starting at one end) applied as you go and I used black electrical tape as I well to hold it in place until it dried. Came out better then expected :D and looked better then new. Just take your time. Took me about an hour total start to finish. Has held up very well even in 100+ degree weather.

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was having this issue and tried several times to correct it on my 08. Got upset one day and pulled it off completely. Dealer didn't even mention it being gone when I traded it in. Still ain't on there and that has been 3 months ago now. Guess they will sell it used with my custom "no trim" look.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had this problem too for a while on my 2010. Tried the superglue and every other trick and that left corner still lifts.

Finally went to Autozone and bought an automotive door edge trim kit for 3.99. It comes with two precut lengths that are the exact right length and it's a thicker channel that now fits snug when the inner and outer are tightened down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a new RGC owner for just over a month I too am having the trim problem. ITOLDU - it was my wife that spotted it. So after a search and read, off to Autozone I went and picked up the chrome trim version (Cowles # T3805 3/8 x 27"). Thanks for the pointers everyone. Guess this will be my little project this week.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Clear silicone glue and sealant worked for me. Been using it for a couple of years with good results, if it ever fails I will try the auto trim.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Is there anyone that has done this recently, and Tracy, is there a possibility I could get some pictures of yours? did you have to remove the outer fairing to do this? or did the trim just slide right in between?

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Check out X-trim. http://www.xcycletrim.com/ Its some good stuff. More pliable than the automotive trim. Plus you can replace the windshield trim with it too.

You can just loosen the screws from the inner and replace the trim that way. I didn't see a need to take it off completely. That's what I did on Lymey before we painted it.
After we painted it and it became 'Lymey' I didn't put any trim back on it. I like the look MUCH better without it. The black would have taken away from the look since it would have broken up the paint since its so bright.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I got the pricey X Trim which is also lifting on the left top. Gonna have to hit it with some RTV one of these days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts