Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
160w amp, HD Boom upgrade speakers, Hogtunes tweeters. Great sounds? Nope. The stock head unit on my 2008 FLTR has one bad radio - I mean bad as in not good. CDs are clear good sound. IPhone connected to AUX via a wire is very nice as well - Pandora, my own music in iTunes, ....

Two easily solved drawbacks to the wired AUX.
1. My iPhone's battery can be depleted. Only so much juice in it.
2. I prefer not to have a wire to AUX.

Long ago I installed a second 12 volt power outlet, aka cigarette lighter. That power outlet is in my left glovebox. The plug will charge two USB powered devices.

Power to my iPhone is easily accommodated with a dual USB plug that inserts into the 12 volt power outlet. See the attached image.

The stock head unit is Bluetooth enabled via a BT receiver adapter inserted into the AUX. The BT receiver has an internal battery. The battery is charged when a mini USB cord is connected to the receiver, and the standard USB at the other end is inserted into a USB power port.

Both USB 12v power plug and BT receiver were purchased through "big river online retail." Items shown in attached image.

With the above setup I can go completely wireless, or if necessary charge both the iPhone and the BT receiver.

How is the sound? Like a CD! No reason for the expense or effort of a new head unit.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have a bluetooth adapter also and this weekend I am installing a usb connecter into the glove box so I can just leave my phone in the box and out of the way if it needs to charge

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm totally doing this. Thanks for sharing. Awesome

Does artists and song title show up on the head unit display?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does the display work with your iPhone? If so the bluetooth will do the same. Bluetooth eliminates the cord.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This IMO is a very good and very inexpensive modification. Reflecting on the problem I reference in my earlier posts, it comes down to Atlas. You know, the old guy that said "give me a lever long enough and I can move the world." The Bluetooth receiver was acting like a lever. The apparatus connecting the Bluetooth and the AUX is about a 1" long "tong." On a home stereo, the equipment is built to withstand angular force. Apparently not HD in dash head units with AUX.

So all is fine if you deplug whenever doing something like in my case unplugging the power cord that charges the battery.

I will do a fix next time my front fairing is off. I have several things to do under the front fairing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts