Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just like the title says, I'm looking for a cheap replacement for my factory HK head unit on my 2012 FLTRX. I have a HawgWired RS400 amp with a couple Polk Audio 652 speakers in the fairing. I will be selling or trading this bike around the end of the year so I'm not interested investing much in the audio. I have no music on my phone to stream from, just occasionally play a cd if I listen to the stereo. Have read before about some manufacturers making a plug and play head unit that will still let your handlebar controls work. This is what I'm looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
depends on what your definition of cheap is.

i am aware of 2 'plug and play' replacements, the aquatic av and jensen. aquatic has 2 version for hd, one is AQ-MP-5BT-H and has a msrp of $350, $298 on amazon. it doesn't have the same display as it's more expensive big brother, and it lacks a couple of functions as well. but it is $300 cheaper.

the jensen doesn't seem to have as many reviews as the aquatic, and can be had for $395 on amazon.

course, you could go even cheaper and get a decent aftermarket headunit and the adapter to use your handlebar controls, but that means you're looking at a little more complexity in the installation.

if you're getting rid of the bike fairly soon, what's wrong with keeping the stock headunit?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The face on my stock head unit went out. It had done this once before and I took the fairing off and unplugged the receiver. Then I tweaked all the pins in the connector and put it back together and it lit up and worked like it should. Now that it's done it again I don't have much faith in trying that fix again. Not a big fan of taking fairing on and off over and over. LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a company that fixes those issues with the HK head unit...plus can add line output for amps. I forget who they are at the moment.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Iron Cross Audio is the vendor that lonestar was thinking of. If you're not keeping the bike they're probably the easiest route, or look for someone selling a stocker in the classifieds.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I learned that all these extras you spend money on aren't worth much come trade in time. I'll most likely be trading vs selling outright because I don't have much patience when it comes to that. LOL Thanks for all the ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts