Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would guess that this could be a reasonably simple, reasonably inexpensive bike to build, late '70s well worn shovels are still relatively cheap. This was built to show I'd guess, based on all the plating/polishing that was done, but it really caught my eye as something that could be built as a reasonably inexpensive around town bike.

I'm not saying I'd build this bike (I'm more of a bobber guy) but I thought it was a cool look for a bike most could afford - even as a second bike.

Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I would guess that this could be a reasonably simple, reasonably inexpensive bike to build, late '70s well worn shovels are still relatively cheap. This was built to show I'd guess, based on all the plating/polishing that was done, but it really caught my eye as something that could be built as a reasonably inexpensive around town bike.

I'm not saying I'd build this bike (I'm more of a bobber guy) but I thought it was a cool look for a bike most could afford - even as a second bike.
That's one of Jeff Cochran's bikes. (Speedking)
Donny Loos and Jeff started Suckerpunch Sallys in the early 2000s.

It's a drop seat frame that Jeff sells a lot of because it looks cool.

Jeff is also a photographer, as you can prolly tell from the photo.

·
12,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually, I was aware of all of that, I just didn't put it in my post because I didn't want to confuse anyone because my central point was talking about duplicating this on the cheap with a stock swing arm frame, only two tins to paint so that's affordable, etc. etc. I've known about those two since they started Sucker Punch. I actually thought about buying a used Sucker Punch at one point, but backed away. They've each been up and down the ladder of success a time or two. I'm physically too big for one, but I love what Jeff does with Sportsters. He sells a lot of frames weld on back halves to convert original swing arm frames to rigids, for the chopper crowd.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,218 Posts
Looks like a whole 2" of front suspension, gotta have a strong spine to look cool around town. That said, I like it.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts

View attachment 444259
I'd say that's a 30k + bike pictured, but I get your point. Just remember , unless you really like wrenching, those solid mount Shovels Arn't user friendly .

·
Administrator
13,709 Posts
Got that right Gary . I liked the Sucker Punches , sad they went under , but from what I recall , they left a bunch hanging with deposits and no scooters .. Didn't the Feds get involved ?

JtB

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Got that right Gary . I liked the Sucker Punches , sad they went under , but from what I recall , they left a bunch hanging with deposits and no scooters .. Didn't the Feds get involved ?
They sold the biz to some arsehole out in arizona. He died from lead poisoning i think from jerking too many people around. Never did pay off what he owed.

Jeff went to Donny with a concept: an old school look that has never died.
They were getting evo engines from a local dealer until the MoCo put a stop to it. Then they went to Ultima.

A lot of the local guys got angry about Donny moving on to the money-making side of things but after he sold the biz he got back to wrenchin' and fixin' scoots. He started as a mechanic on a drag car team.

Jeff was more of the marketing end of the pair.
Donny made it all work. He's forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever know.

·
12,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say that's a 30k + bike pictured, but I get your point. Just remember , unless you really like wrenching, those solid mount Shovels Arn't user friendly .
I hear you loud and clear, which is why I said. " I'm not saying I'd build this bike ..." However, flash forward a few years to an EVO era swingarm bike, which are readily available for reasonable money, and you could pull off exactly the same look and end up with a bike that's very reliable. As I mentioned, I lean much more towards the bobber version, than the chopped look.
Looks like a whole 2" of front suspension, gotta have a strong spine to look cool around town. That said, I like it.
True, but 2" of actual suspension travel is better than you get with a springer. At this age, I wouldn't own anything that didn't have good suspension front and rear.

Reactions: Zedbra
1 - 11 of 11 Posts