Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, check your Credit/Debit Card Statement. While at Shark Week III or on the way home had my credit/debit card skimmed. Arrived home on Monday after having a great time, went to put fuel in my truck. Used my Credit/Debit card, got a not authorized. Had Rita check in at the bank and found out someone was having a great time in Ohio with my card. Had to go to the bank and sign about 12 different papers saying I didn't make those purchases! Checked the statement today, another 4 went through, called the bank & will be stopping there tomorrow to sign some more.

Hope I get a new card soon!

dave:(

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
You mean they didn't cancel your card on the spot at the bank ?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Wow that sucks, glad the bank is working with you, and most likely it is some piece of chit that is already living off all of us, getting the monthly check, food stamps, free housing, and every other government program they can, I am tired of working to give to these scum, so they can just steal more from us. Hope everything works out for you.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I always use a credit card when travelling. Easier to stop payment than try to get money back from a debit card charge. Gives you a chance to audit your recent spending before the bank charges your card. I only use a debit card locally when I will not lose sight of it to pay for something. :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
credit/debit cards

The photo shows the location of the chip imbedded in your card if you have the symbols that mine have(bli-- or the 4 half round circles. This chip allows someone with a portable scanner to walk by and get all info from your card. punching out or cutting out the chip does not affect the use of card.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
The photo shows the location of the chip imbedded in your card if you have the symbols that mine have(bli-- or the 4 half round circles. This chip allows someone with a portable scanner to walk by and get all info from your card. punching out or cutting out the chip does not affect the use of card.
Staush,
Could we get a view from the otherside without the yellow sticky in the way, oh an need the 3 digit security code too...thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
my cc company without fail shuts my cards off mid trip

every year

without fail

like they don't understand the annual summer phone conversations

"I ride a motorcycle"

"trips include multi state runs"

cc companies are dopes, but not as much as us for using them

Had that happen to me years ago when I was on vacation in Colorado using my only credit card so much smoke was coming off of it. Was in a store and presented the card and it wasn't good any more. Phoned. Card company stated they killed the card due to the number of out of state charges, called it "unusual activity". Got it straightened out. So, now I carry 2 credit cards. And before going out of town I call both companies and tell them I will be traveling from Louisville to wherever between this and that date. They take notes and seem to be appreciative of my call and I have never had another problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to check my card. I just took a 4000 mile round trip to get the 1982 FLT and burn a fair amount on my HOG card. All looks OK with mine so far.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just a note. Try not to use your debit card for credit card transactions. Why?

If your credit card is compromised, the bank can place the fraudulent transactions in a temp status until the situation is resolved. This means you don't have to pay on the false amounts until the matter is resolved and it will not be included in your balance due. Then they are either removed from the account (you don't have to pay) or not (depending on the outcome, like HD parts wink wink)

If you use your debit card as a credit card, the money is taken directly from your bank account. While the transactions are being investigated, you are still out the money. The bank will not post the funds to your account until the investigation is complete. This can take 30 or 60 days. Depending on how much the person got away with, this can really set you back.

I know this was the OP subject, but thought I would add my two cents in case this helps anyone...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just a note. Try not to use your debit card for credit card transactions. Why?

If your credit card is compromised, the bank can place the fraudulent transactions in a temp status until the situation is resolved. This means you don't have to pay on the false amounts until the matter is resolved and it will not be included in your balance due. Then they are either removed from the account (you don't have to pay) or not (depending on the outcome, like HD parts wink wink)

If you use your debit card as a credit card, the money is taken directly from your bank account. While the transactions are being investigated, you are still out the money. The bank will not post the funds to your account until the investigation is complete. This can take 30 or 60 days. Depending on how much the person got away with, this can really set you back.

I know this was the OP subject, but thought I would add my two cents in case this helps anyone...

You are exactly right! If someone gets access to your debit card account you can be cleaned out and will suffer until the bank is satisfied you were a victim. If it is a credit card the bank will kill the card and issue you a new one and you are out nothing. Unless someone is not very credit worthy I just can't see any advantage to using a debit card instead of a credit card.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Gas pumps are prime candidates for credit card skimming where the thief places a scanner over the legitimate card scanner. They're very well disguised. Not saying that's what happened to you, Dave, but they are out there and they are affecting peoples' accounts. Here's an article on how they work and what you can do to minimize your chances of getting skimmed:
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securityadvisorie1/a/How-To-Avoid-Credit-Card-Skimmers.htm

As for getting your card cut off on a trip, that's an automated function that most banks put in place to "protect you." Actually they're protecting themselves, but one of the first clues that a card is stolen is a few small initial purchases, such as three gallons of gas, which the thief uses to verify the card will work. To ward this off, call your credit card issuer and ask for a "travel block" explaining that you will be making frequent small dollar gas purchases with the dates of travel. Works for me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's not easy to detect skimming. When at a restaurant, you give them the card and they walk away to process it, they can have a machine on their person that can capture the information. Best thing is keep an eye on your statement and avoid using debit cards for credit card transactions. (as noted above).

If you ever call and don't get the result you want (reasonable) in regards to fraud transactions or placing a travel notice on your account. Call back, normally the calls go through large call centers so you get someone different who can help you.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I feel your pain.. My card was skimmed a few months ago.. I was told by the bank that someone was using my card @ a Walmart (50 miles away). They advised that cards have been duplicated by devices imputed in gas station credit card slots.. They said to always check for some type of visual security seal place across the the card slots..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts