Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to replacement my front tire last Friday while at sturgis. spent all day Thursday riding through the Black Hills, found the problem after we got back to the hotel in Hill City. I went out to smoke a cigar and check the bike over.

I found the sidewall cracked in several places on the left side of the front tire. I checked everything over before we left for the trip but didn't notice any issues. We rode on several miles of gravel/rough construction area roads Thursday but not sure when the problem developed. Luckily, Verhulst (sp) service (bike repair shop out of Georgia) had a semi set up between Hill City and Keystone and had the correct size (18") Dunlop American Elite on the truck for $273 installed.

I was worried about driving any distance and thought my only option was goin to be to get it back to Sturgis or Black Hills Harley. I'm very thankful that those guys were close to where we were staying.

Anyway, please take time to check your tires daily! The front only had about 5k on it.

The rally was full of dumb @$$ riders and drivers this year, I think a record was set for the highest number of accident related deaths.

·
Registered
2019 RGS
5,960 Posts
Same thing on my E3. Had 5k on it. Notice a slight Crack near the valve stem the mining I was to leave out on a 1200 mile trip. Local indy that put it on was open and swapped it out for a new one. 240 installed. Then sent the other one back to Dunlop. They sent me $114.00 back.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad tire

I'll have to dig through my receipts and see if I can find the date when the tire was purchased. I think it was Jan '13 and I might be off on the mileage too.

The tire was a Dunlop, it was the same tire that was on the RG CVO in 2011. Do any of you think it was unusual to have the sidewall cracks on just the left side of the tire? I keep the bike on a J&S lift over the winter also.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dunlop rebate

I sent Dunlop an email last week explaining what happened to my tire and how it was unusual that it only had cracked on one side. Explained that I didn't have the tire in my possession because the failure occurred on a trip, stated the mileage and age. I told them I wasn't asking for any compensation, my intent of the email was to notify them of the uniqueness of the failure.

I got a email back today from them today thanking me for taking time to let them know of the issue and asking for my mailing address to send me a "rebate" for the Dunlop replacement tire I purchased while at Sturgis.

Awesome when a huge company will do something like this. Just wanted to share some positive comments about Dunlop.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Agree with your comment about "Dunlop" stepping up to the plate, your professional approach certainly helped. Glad it worked out for you and yes I check my tires weekly for wear and pressure good reminder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.